Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD suddenly won't start
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon DROD suddenly won't start (0)  
Okay, this sounds almost like it is a problem with my computer, except that I didn't do anything! For some reason DROD will not open up at all for me. I select it from the Start Menu or I double-click on it from Explorer and nothing happens, although it shows up as a process in the Task Manager (and if I try it again, multiple drod.exe lines show up, each sharing a percentage of the CPU usage). The thing is, it was working just fine a few hours ago, when I beat Claythro's Tower, and after I exited I even went back in a few times to look at the rooms as I was writing my "review". The only things I did the last time I opened it up: went to Restore to browse the rooms, loaded a room to watch the solving demo, loaded another room to try to beat it a different way. Then I quit the game by hitting Escape (and then Enter) from the next screen, as it was flashing "Exit Level!". After that I went and did some work, and then I came back a few minutes ago to try to do a little level building, and voila, no DROD!

If I don't hear any suggestions after some time, I will try to reinstall build 23 in a different folder and see if it runs. However, I don't see how anything that was done in-game would affect this. One weird thing that happened with my computer today was that when I clicked on the Start Menu at one point, Explorer crashed with an error saying how the memory could not be "written". I didn't write down the exact error message, but after clicking OK the computer ran fine (and I think I played DROD after that even). And since all the other programs I have tried to open work fine, even other games, I really don't know what could have caused this.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-26-2003 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: DROD suddenly won't start (0)  
I've today experienced the same symptoms. I just had my .player imported into build 23, no holds at all at that point (I decided to skip messing with holds until build 24) and was about half way through playing level 20 of Dugans Dungeon. That's all I was doing with this build of DROD, playing the original levels.

I too managed to get two copies of DROD running in the background. I also noticed Paint Shop Pro 7.04 was still resident in memory but not showing on the task pane, but even on rebooting, DROD no longer runs.

I'm normally running a whole bunch of stuff in the background, so I guess it could be some conflict. On rebooting though, I continue to see the same behaviour, so I believe something is up with the drod data files now.

Oh. Come to think of it, my Dad said the AOL(spit) software had some out of memory error message, and crashed last night. The PC hadn't been rebooted since then I believe. He didn't write down the error message, more's the luck (two unspecified memory error messages don't make for good diagnosis prospects) I figure that's some kind of coincidence though.

Time to pimp my data files again I guess :) Available, free and gratis to whoever wants them.
06-26-2003 at 12:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
That is very odd, StuartK, I wonder if it is really a coincidence. In any case, I reinstalled Build 23 to a different folder, and it runs just fine from there. I have not yet re-imported Claythro's Tower, and since I never exported my player file from the previous build I won't bother doing so. In any case, I have no further insight on what is going on. Some kind of virus? Very doubtful, since the reinstall worked. Possibly something is being corrupted. The only thing I did differently than normal, as I mentioned before, was to watch and run an old demo, and to quit the program when the "level exit" graphic was flashing. Anything else I did on the last run I had done on the previous run also.

One thing to do, perhaps, would be to have a folder that DROD exports to every time it shuts down. That way if something weird happens our player data is kept somewhere safe. I guess this is something that has been happening to other people too, though.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-26-2003 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
This started happening to me today too - it happened twice, both some time (not immediately) after I imported Claythro's Tower; I have no idea if it's connected in any way. Both times, I had to get a clean install in order to run DROD again. (build 23 full install in all cases).

06-26-2003 at 02:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
It could be connected to Clayton's Tower (not Clayton's fault) and it could be an in-game code-related problem. Stay tuned, I'm on the case...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-26-2003 at 06:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Happened to me too. I had installed the second Clayton tower, the one with the check points. I then found there was a later version and deleted the first one imported the second one and crash. Then I could start DROD. Had to uninstall and reistall.
06-26-2003 at 07:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lucky Luke
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Actually DROD start, asks the player name and shut down by itself...

in the sdterr.txt I find this error mex:

"Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)"

What does it means :huh

And, first of all, can I "bypass" the glitch :huh

Please help me!!!

Lucky Luke

06-26-2003 at 03:03 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Re: DROD suddenly won't start (0)  
Lucky Luke wrote:

(rest of message cut)

Please help me!!!
This may sound very stupid but - you do realise this is the beta version? The purpose of these releases is for testing only. If you just want to play DROD (and I don't blame you if you do), I suggest you download DROD 1.5 from http://www.drod.net.

If you know all this, I apologise - your message sounded like you were expecting the game to play flawlessly. Sorry if I misunderstood.

"Oook!"
06-26-2003 at 03:15 PM
Lucky Luke
icon Re: Re: Re: DROD suddenly won't start (0)  
krammer wrote:
Lucky Luke wrote:

(rest of message cut)

Please help me!!!
This may sound very stupid but - you do realise this is the beta version? The purpose of these releases is for testing only. If you just want to play DROD (and I don't blame you if you do), I suggest you download DROD 1.5 from http://www.drod.net.

If you know all this, I apologise - your message sounded like you were expecting the game to play flawlessly. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I had downloaded the 12MB installation file from www.drod.net

:(

Maybe I have to do something more :huh

I hope so !!!

Thanx 4 your help !!! ;)

Lucky Luke
06-26-2003 at 04:02 PM
krammer
Gah. I haven't a clue. I am very surprised that a bug like this comes up in the stable release. I'll leave it to someone who is a coder and can possibly help you with it, unlike me. :D

"Oook!"
06-26-2003 at 04:46 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Lucky Luke wrote:

in the sdterr.txt I find this error mex:

"Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)"

What does it means :huh

And, first of all, can I "bypass" the glitch :huh

Please help me!!!
Hey, Luke!

I realize you'd like to just play the game, but I'm wondering if you could help us determine if this bug is still present in the release we're working on now. It seems to me that the problem you have would only occur on some computers and not others, so it would be valuable if you could help us test it. It's also possible that the problem was fixed in our new release as a result of upgrading one of the libraries it uses.

If you are interested, download the beta installation from here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/drod/CDROD1_6b23.exe?download

Install it, run it. Does it give you the same error?

If you don't feel like trying this, I understand.

-Erik

06-26-2003 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
krammer wrote:
Gah. I haven't a clue. I am very surprised that a bug like this comes up in the stable release. I'll leave it to someone who is a coder and can possibly help you with it, unlike me. :D

Well, since Lucky Luke says it is asking him his name, he must be using the beta version, right? I didn't think that 1.5 asked for the player's name...

Game on,

06-26-2003 at 05:23 PM
krammer
It doesn't? I thought it did, because it uses it in the Settings screen. But he says he downloaded it from drod.net, and there is no link to the beta file(s) from the main page.

"Oook!"
06-26-2003 at 05:47 PM
mrimer
Yeah, the first one also asked you for your name.
06-26-2003 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Sorry, I guess I just don't remember doing so. :buh

Game on,

06-26-2003 at 06:14 PM
Lucky Luke
icon Re: Re: Re: DROD suddenly won't start (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:

If you are interested, download the beta installation from here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/drod/CDROD1_6b23.exe?download

Install it, run it. Does it give you the same error?

If you don't feel like trying this, I understand.

-Erik

All up and running...thank you for the URL !!!!

:D :D :D

Lucky Luke
06-27-2003 at 11:39 AM
eytanz
Luke - you might want to wait until the next build is released before starting to play with the beta; the current version is a bit unstable, and if I understood Mike & Erik correctly, there may be problems transferring your data from this version to the next, so you'll have to start over if you run into trouble (or just if you want to upgrade at any point)

06-27-2003 at 12:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: DROD suddenly won't start (0)  
Lucky Luke wrote:
Good deal!

Now, what would be fantastic to know is: If you reinstall the first version of DROD from scratch to a new directory and run it again, does it crash like before?

If it does, then I will be happy, and start telling people with that "SDL parachute" error thing that we probably got it fixed in DROD:AE.

What Eytan said about the instability of the version you have is true. However, if you just want to play a game and not use the editing features seriously, then it should be fine. A good precaution would be to exit the game after you just finish with something really hard. This makes for certain that your position is saved, so that if the game crashes you won't have to replay a bunch of rooms.

-Erik

06-27-2003 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Erik - my concern was with Mike's warning not to export files from build 23 to build 24 - if this is the case, then he won't be able to get his player data across, including saved levels. I'm pretty sure Mike specificed that his warning extends to player exports, not just hold exports.

06-27-2003 at 04:45 PM
mrimer
Uh, I think what I meant is not that you shouldn't export from 23 to 24, but rather that you should, following these steps:

export from 23, import into 24, make sure everything's intact and re-export from 24 to a file. Delete it from 24 and re-import from the new file. If it's still intact, then keep the newest export file and delete the ones from the older build.

(Sorry about the confusion.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-27-2003 at 04:53 PM
Lucky Luke
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DROD suddenly won't start (0)  
I do the try you requested...Yes, the 1.5 crash as before...

Thanx again!!!

LL

ErikH2000 wrote:
Lucky Luke wrote:
Good deal!

Now, what would be fantastic to know is: If you reinstall the first version of DROD from scratch to a new directory and run it again, does it crash like before?

If it does, then I will be happy, and start telling people with that "SDL parachute" error thing that we probably got it fixed in DROD:AE.

What Eytan said about the instability of the version you have is true. However, if you just want to play a game and not use the editing features seriously, then it should be fine. A good precaution would be to exit the game after you just finish with something really hard. This makes for certain that your position is saved, so that if the game crashes you won't have to replay a bunch of rooms.

-Erik
07-03-2003 at 12:44 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DROD suddenly won't start (0)  
Lucky Luke wrote:
I do the try you requested...Yes, the 1.5 crash as before...
Thanks, Luke! I'm glad to see that the bug was fixed.

-Erik

07-03-2003 at 03:43 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD suddenly won't start
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com