Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Claythro Tower - The Rooftop.
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
IP: Logged

File: Claythro Tower.hold (30.5 KB)
Downloaded 228 times.
License: Other
icon Claythro Tower - The Rooftop. (0)  
_,.-~*'The latest version of Claythro Tower can be downloaded to the left.'*~-.,_

I've started building my hold "Claythro Tower" several times, but due to bugs, it's been corrupted twice. Which is ok, because it gives me the chance to try new stuff when I start rebuilding it.

This last time however, I decided to design my final floor before anything else.

What I wanted to do was have some kind of "grand hallway" leading to some sort of "master room" where some weird kind of "fierce battle" would take place.

Well, I got the whole floor done, grand hallway, master room, and Insanely fierce battle. (Took me a few hours of playtesting to finish off my own room, I died a lot.)

Anywho, I thought it looked so good, and because I'm not good at keeping secrets, I wanted to show you all what I've done. However, I'm currently unable to export my hold.

Also, I don't want to give away too much, especially my master room and fierce battle. Therefore, I took a screenshot of the map (without the entrance, or master room).

Behold: The grand hallway:

http://www.drod.net/images/drodmap.gif

[Edited by ClaytonW on 09-27-2003 at 04:29 PM GMT: Added the Download]

[Edited by ClaytonW on 10-11-2003 at 03:32 AM GMT]

[Edited by ClaytonW on 11-06-2003 at 04:50 AM GMT]

[Edited by ClaytonW on 11-07-2003 at 02:05 AM GMT]
06-21-2003 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Claythro Tower - The Rooftop. (0)  
Woah! That's original! Amazing! We've gotta put out build 21 so that you can export your hold. And all the other esteemed Win 95/98/Me users. (Schik wrote a nice fix. I hope it works.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-21-2003 at 08:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
J.L.
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
icon Re: Claythro Tower - The Rooftop. (0)  
Does each room have its own monster theme?
06-22-2003 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
icon Re: Re: Claythro Tower - The Rooftop. (0)  
J.L. wrote:
Does each room have its own monster theme?

Well, kinda. The only monsters in a room are the monsters that are pictured using the DROD Elements. The Serpent Room is the only exception, because it has two brains in it, as well as a serpent.

These five rooms aren't difficult at all, but I didn't really need them to be. The single room at the end of the hall is enough of a challenge. (Believe me, its tough!) I'm sure if I took the time, I could make those rooms harder... and I might, eventually, but I want to finish the rest of Claythro Tower first. (26 floors, just enough to top Dugan's)
06-22-2003 at 04:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
icon Level 1 of Claythro Tower. (0)  
Attached is the first level of Claythro Tower. I plan to add 25 more levels.

Please, share your thoughts with me on this, I worked a long time on it (because I kept losing it, mostly.) :P

One comment I will make beforehand is that 2N,1W doesn't really fit in with the rest of the level, and I'll probably relocate it before I finish this project. I may eliminate that room altogether, too. It has a nice construction, but its really easy.

Also, feel free to take your time evaluating this. I'm moving to another part of town on Friday, and I'll probably pack up my computer tomorrow or Thursday.

I don't know when I'll see you all next, but please, have fun!

[Edited by ClaytonW on 06-25-2003 at 09:29 AM GMT: I'm dyslexic]
06-25-2003 at 09:25 AM
J.L.
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
icon Re: Level 1 of Claythro Tower. (0)  
Please tell me some of the rooms have checkpoints. Also, so far this seems too hard for level 1.
06-25-2003 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I've just started, but here are initial comments:

- I really, really love 1 west.
- The problem with starting so difficult - if you have 25 more levels to go, then most of them can't be much more difficult than this before people give up in frustration. Yes, there's some leeway, but if you intend to get progressively harder, you've set yourself a problematic starting point. If all the levels are supposed to be about the same difficulty level, you're fine.
- Is there some ideology behind the lack of checkpoints? The hold's playability will improve immensly with them (note - you don't need to have many of them or put them in easy to reach places. Just don't force people to resolve the parts of the room they already solved many times because the next section is also difficult). Case in point:

Click here to view the secret text

[Edited by eytanz on 06-25-2003 at 04:40 PM]

06-25-2003 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Ok. I give up - the room design is great. But it's just too tedious and time-consuming without checkpoints. I won't continue playing this hold until they are added.

[Edited by eytanz on 06-25-2003 at 05:01 PM]

06-25-2003 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
let me guess, Claythro.... you like tar?

I like the level. Very well done. I am working on my own level right now.
06-25-2003 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
As soon as this stupid import/export problem is fixed then I'll let you know what I think. Pity as I was really looking forward to playing this. :(

I've also got a small hold which is completed. Again, once the export problem is solved I'll post it here for you guys to have a look.

"Oook!"
06-25-2003 at 05:34 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
eytanz wrote:
- The problem with starting so difficult - if you have 25 more levels to go, then most of them can't be much more difficult than this before people give up in frustration. Yes, there's some leeway, but if you intend to get progressively harder, you've set yourself a problematic starting point. If all the levels are supposed to be about the same difficulty level, you're fine.
Yes, but I'd say the opening is too hard to be that enjoyable for most people - I think you'd scare off many people who have just finished DROD and are maybe not experienced enough to handle such a hard level. I'd give the patience rating a 10/20 and the frustration factor around 12/20 for the few rooms I've seen - I think this level perhaps would be more suited to a later level, rather than the first...

Just a thought...

06-25-2003 at 06:04 PM
ClaytonW
icon Re: Re: Level 1 of Claythro Tower. (0)  
eytanz wrote:

- I really, really love 1 west.
Thanks! Isn't it pretty? I think it's neat how the large part of the room is easy, and then it gets difficult in the small area.

I intend for all levels to be around the same difficulty, give or take a little.

- Is there some ideology behind the lack of checkpoints? The hold's playability will improve immensly with them (note - you don't need to have many of them or put them in easy to reach places. Just don't force people to resolve the parts of the room they already solved many times because the next section is also difficult).
There were no checkpoints in Webfoot DROD, and in Caravel DROD, I never play with them on... I never really liked the idea I guess. However, I do see your point, in Dugan's Dungeon there aren't 7 insanely time-consuming and difficult rooms right next to each other either.

bradwall wrote:
let me guess, Claythro.... you like tar?
Well, yeah, I find it's really easy to work with, but it doesn't always need to be an enemy. In 1N,1E, the tar is a very useful aid.

agaricus5 wrote:
Yes, but I'd say the opening is too hard to be that enjoyable for most people - I think you'd scare off many people who have just finished DROD and are maybe not experienced enough to handle such a hard level. I'd give the patience rating a 10/20 and the frustration factor around 12/20 for the few rooms I've seen - I think this level perhaps would be more suited to a later level, rather than the first...
Perhaps we should introduce some sort of rating system for the difficulty of User-made Holds?

[Edited by ClaytonW on 06-25-2003 at 06:46 PM]
06-25-2003 at 06:45 PM
ClaytonW
*** On the request of nearly everyone who has downloaded Claythro Tower, there is an updated version with checkpoints attached to this message.
06-25-2003 at 06:47 PM
eytanz
Ok, now that there are checkpoints, I could continue and solve this level (well, with one exception). Here are some reviews:

[Edited by eytanz on 06-25-2003 at 09:16 PM]

06-25-2003 at 09:12 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Since I just completed this level over lunch, here are my thoughts (not on every room):

Lots of fun, looking for more, best of all, no bugs! (Except for roaches.) (Groan... :twak )

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-25-2003 at 09:34 PM
eytanz
Oneiromancer wrote:
Since I just completed this level over lunch, here are my thoughts (not on every room):

06-25-2003 at 09:53 PM
bradwall
I just have to say... this was a very fun board to play. Not only the puzzles, but the design was supurb. I would love to play another level Clayton (when you complete more).

06-25-2003 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Re: Re: Level 1 of Claythro Tower. (0)  
eytanz wrote:

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-25-2003 at 11:44 PM
bradwall
Clayton, I liked Twice North.
06-25-2003 at 11:53 PM
ClaytonW
bradwall wrote:

You're the first to have reported that. What do you want to put on the scroll? It's all yours. A joke, some wit, whatever.
06-26-2003 at 02:15 AM
eytanz
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Level 1 of Claythro Tower. (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
eytanz wrote:

Game on,

06-26-2003 at 02:19 AM
ClaytonW
I want to thank you all for your response to it. I'm really having fun making this.

Attached is an updated version of Claythro Tower. In addition to some suggestions from those of you who have played it, I've also fixed some severe design flaws I found:

I want to remake 2N,1W and possibly 1N,1E. After that, I'll move on to The Second Story. (It's a tower, remember?)
06-26-2003 at 02:22 AM
eytanz
It's still possible to solve 1W with only one mimic:

Note that I personally don't think you should fix it - it can make a fun challange.

[Edited by eytanz on 06-26-2003 at 05:06 AM]

06-26-2003 at 04:56 AM
ClaytonW
eytanz wrote:
It's still possible to solve 1W with only one mimic:

Dammit, you're right. Forget it. I'm gonna keep it this way.
06-26-2003 at 05:27 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
ClaytonW wrote:

I think its easier now than it was the first time.
06-26-2003 at 07:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
I agree, it's definitely easier now.

Bradwell is right - twice north is great, by the way. Seems a shame to waste it on an easter egg; it should be a real room somewhere.

[Edited by eytanz on 06-26-2003 at 01:10 PM GMT: Woohoo! Solved the room]

06-26-2003 at 12:53 PM
bradwall
You're the first to have reported that. What do you want to put on the scroll? It's all yours. A joke, some wit, whatever.

Humm... I am not sure. Something about how cool I am. Really, I don't know what I would put. You seem to be the master mind of thoughts for scrolls.

Actually, I got an idea. Maybe something like... "was it really worth all that work to see what this scroll said?"
06-26-2003 at 05:41 PM
bdcribbs
Rank Points: 390
ClaytonW wrote:
*** On the request of nearly everyone who has downloaded Claythro Tower, there is an updated version with checkpoints attached to this message.

Where'd the attached file go?
I accidentally erased my copy.
06-29-2003 at 01:05 AM
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
icon Re: Re: Re: Level 1 of Claythro Tower. (0)  
ClaytonW wrote:
bradwall wrote:

A single roach, perhaps, to force players to open the red door.
Did anyone else wait for once east to fill up with tar before going for the brain?s

07-04-2003 at 08:32 PM
eytanz
I'm pretty sure there's no other way to solve 1E.

07-04-2003 at 11:35 PM
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Claythro Tower - The Rooftop.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com