Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Placing Obstacles
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
IP: Logged
icon Placing Obstacles (+1)  
Maybe I'm slow, but I just now figured out this part of the room editor, which doesn't seem documented in the help files. (The mouse tooltip would have clued me in, but I didn't read that earlier. It's a rock, duh, I don't need to hover to find that out.) So here's a tip for anyone else who didn't already know this. And it's also a request for an extra sentence or two in the editor help.

The rock that comes up by default in the second tab (object layer) represents a variety of obstacles. In addition to placing rocks, you can place those plants, statues, buildings, and so on you see scattered around JtRH. When you have clicked on the obstacle tool and the editor is ready to place obstacles, the QW keys and the mouse wheel will select the type of obstacle, and show the small version in the left tab. Placing obstacles by click-and-drag can get you various sizes of obstacle, depending on the obstacle type.

05-09-2005 at 05:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Placing Obstacles (0)  
It will automatically choose the largest obstacle it can place based on how much you drag the mouse - I believe the largest we have is 5x5 for the rocks. With the exception of the desk, all obstacles have at least two sizes.

Incidentally, obstacles have different colours depending on what theme they appear in, and all obstacles appear in all themes. So don't be shy with those obstacles, guys, as they'll look great even if you're working in Iceworks.

Bonus points for anyone who uses the large statue in conjunction with a secret passage, either pointing towards it or using it as misdirection.

05-09-2005 at 09:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Placing Obstacles (+1)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
It will automatically choose the largest obstacle it can place based on how much you drag the mouse

This is true

I believe the largest we have is 5x5 for the rocks. With the exception of the desk, all obstacles have at least two sizes.

But your memory is faulty here.

There is no 5x5 rock - the largest obstacles are the 5x5 huts. And all obstacles have at least two sizes, including the desk.

A full list of possible obstacle sizes follows:

Plants: 1x1 or 2x2
Huts: 1x1, 3x3, or 5x5
Skull piles: 1x1 or 2x2
Statues: 1x1, 2x2 or 4x4
Desk: 1x1 or 3x3
Rock: 1x1, 2x2, or 3x3

This information should probably be added to the documentation if it's missing.

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:05-09-2005 at 02:05 PM]

05-09-2005 at 01:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Placing Obstacles (0)  
I was totally not aware of this fact. Thanks!
05-09-2005 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Placing Obstacles
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com