Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : How fast can you beat level 1?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon How fast can you beat level 1? (0)  
From the time that you make your first move to when you start to walk down the stair way at the end of the level. How long does it take you to complete level 1? If you die, you can keep playing, just don't stop the time. All time must be included (even if you restart a room).

My time is 3 min and 20 sec.

I would be interested in doing this with level 2 and other levels.
06-25-2003 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: How fast can you beat level 1? (0)  
3 minutes 6 seconds on my first complete attempt (I restarted several times when I clearly wasted time).

This can be a fun challange for level 13 :)

[Edited by eytanz on 06-25-2003 at 03:39 AM]

06-25-2003 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
And can the time taken to beat a level be added to the stats that I know the programmers are itching to add to DROD?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-25-2003 at 01:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: How fast can you beat level 1? (0)  
eytanz wrote:
3 minutes 6 seconds on my first attempt.

This can be a fun challange for level 13 :)

About 5 minutes 20 seconds for me in windowed mode, and 4 minutes 20 in fullscreen (Duron 800, Geforce3 Ti200) Few mistakes, no deaths, a few corners slightly wide (I didn't make full use of the diagonals because that usually led to more bumping into walls, and changing direction lots seems slower than running in a straight line) I doubt these lost more than 10-20 seconds altogether with non-cut corners and wall bumping. So maybe there's timing differences between different systems/configurations, or maybe I'm just crap :D

Let's see some demos :) F5 to start recording in the Entrance. If you die or restart a room or from a checkpoint, the demo will stop recording so it'll *only* make a full recording of a level if you don't make any such mistakes. It will also stop when you exit a level, which is what we want.

I've attached my demo for the playthrough in windowed mode (recorded using build 23, windowed mode, 1600x1200) I timed the demo and it came out at 5 minutes 45 seconds. This is longer than the time I got for actually playing the level (though I'm timing by wallclock so I could have goofed I guess)

All in all, I believe there may be something up with the timings.

Still extremely interesting. Lets see some speed demos for the later levels :devil Remember, the entire level, at speed, without dying or restarting a room. Don't forget to hit F5 at the start of the level :) I've a feeling level 13 may be one of the easier ones... :devil :devil

Hmmm... I don't seem to be able to attach files. Where's the test board?

[Edited by StuartK on 06-25-2003 at 01:16 AM]
06-25-2003 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Make sure you've got your keyboard repeat setting all the way up. And notice you can beat 4N2W on the way out.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-27-2003 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I think this depends a lot on your computer's speed, too - I just tried this on my office computer, and it took me over 5 minutes, because Beethro moves a lot slower than he does on my computer.

06-28-2003 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
you guys are quick
first try 6.13 died once
can probably get down to 5 something if I don't die

duron 1400 so its not because my comp is slower!
07-27-2003 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : How fast can you beat level 1?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com