Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Third Level : 3 North, 2 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Hatlore
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Third Level : 3 North, 2 West (0)  
So, brains. It's clear this can only be solved from the roach side. But there just isn't enough room for me to kill all the brains without using them as obstacles. Can anyone recommend a kill order?
05-05-2005 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Third Level : 3 North, 2 West (+1)  
Hatlore wrote:
But there just isn't enough room for me to kill all the brains without using them as obstacles.

So...use them as obstacles, and then kill them! How deliciously Machiavellian!

Click here to view the secret text

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-05-2005 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hatlore
Yep, that's definitely the way to go. Thanks

05-05-2005 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kzc
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
Hmmm, I

05-22-2005 at 07:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kafka
The only way that worked for me

01-02-2006 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Rank Points: 50

File: level 23 2n2w.jpg (59.5 KB)
Downloaded 146 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Third Level : 3 North, 2 West (0)  
I am stuck at this position (see graphic). I can't seem to move down far enough to get the rest of the brains. Any suggestions or should I back track a bit and correct something?
05-04-2006 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
Yes, I believe you are in a lost position. I just tried that position out in the editor and I can't see how to make progress... there's no way to push off any of the brains.

05-04-2006 at 02:49 PM
wiseoldman
I found that out, saddly :weep

But I have no idea how to move to clear this room. I hear "upper left" , "middle", etc. Obviously I can clear the upper left and part of the middle but where would I go next? I fear that there is "one optium" square to start on and this leads to many, many combinations of the next series of moves. So, where would be the "optium square" and what would be the plan of attack after being in that position?
05-04-2006 at 04:51 PM
kzc
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
Judging from this thread there are many valid places to start. If starting in the upper left isn't working for you, perhaps starting at the bottom (as I did) will get the job done.

One thing that helps me in this type of "mimic pushing" room is this: try never to push the mimic as far as you can in a given direction. Unless you can "read out" how you're going to get him back into a pushable position, always try to stop one space short of his maximum pushable distance. Following this strategy you should only rarely get into a dead-end situation.

Also, of course, make sure you wring all possible use out of a brain before smiting it.

[Last edited by kzc at 05-04-2006 05:36 PM]
05-04-2006 at 05:33 PM
wiseoldman
Well, I did find a place, like you suggested, at the bottom. Then worked my way up to the left, up to the right, up to the top on the right side, back down to the middle, and up to left a bit, up the far right on the top then back down to the left side and the last brain .... man ... quite a room .... hours of pure "fun" :lol :thumbsup

P.S. Yes, being able to "push" on a brain to gain extra moves is indeed how it has to be done. I can hardly wait for the rest of the rooms and the next two levels ... I made die of old age before I finish this game (if I actually do).

[Last edited by wiseoldman at 05-04-2006 08:17 PM]
05-04-2006 at 08:16 PM
lilac_lush
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11

File: JtRH Twenty-Third Level 3N2W.demo (5.7 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
Ok, so my last room on level 23 and i'm not enjoying this level as much as the others. It's becoming one of things that will be the death of you as i'm determined to finish the hold...

However, i'm stuck (again). I've posted a demo. Can someone let me know if the room is solvable from where I am.

(I would have posted a .jpg file but not sure how to do this)
10-07-2006 at 11:15 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
lilac_lush wrote:
(I would have posted a .jpg file but not sure how to do this)
Well, you attach it the same way you do with a demo.

And if you don't know how to produce one - just hit F11 and attach the file called "drodscreen.jpg" that can be found in the same directory your demos are exported to...

EDIT: As for your demo -

(Giving hints for this room is exceptionally ugly - I can post a demo if you want, though...)

np: Fat Jon & Styrofoam - Bleed (The Same Channel)

[Last edited by Briareos at 10-07-2006 04:04 PM]
10-07-2006 at 03:51 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
lilac_lush, it looks like you can't get the mimic back into action from that position. You should be okay from the checkpoint. I think the bottom part is the trickiest since the brains are spaced far apart down there, and the first time through I did it last and didn't have to worry about getting back up. But I just gave it a try, and it is possible to kill the brains in the order you were trying, if you're careful about getting back to the north there.
10-07-2006 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lilac_lush
Thanks for the note about the jpg file, it's the producing bit i didn't know.

On to the room. Demo requested pleaseeeee

One very frustated lush!!!!!
10-09-2006 at 06:54 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516

File: JtRH Twenty-Third Level 3N2W Victory.demo (6 KB)
Downloaded 309 times.
lilac_lush wrote:
One demo coming up...

*attach*

np: Yello - Sometimes (Dr. Hirsch) (Yello 1980-1985: The New Mix In One Go)

10-09-2006 at 07:00 PM
Racine
Briareos wrote:
lilac_lush wrote:
One demo coming up...

*attach*

np: Yello - Sometimes (Dr. Hirsch) (Yello 1980-1985: The New Mix In One Go)

I am stuck. How can I watch the Demo please?
Thanks
02-25-2007 at 09:25 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Racine wrote:
Thanks

Click on the link to the demo (left-side of the post under the poster's name, rank, etc.) Open JtRH. From the room the demo is for -- in this case Level 23, 3 North, 2 West -- press F6. Click the "Import" button. From the pop-up window choose the demo -- in this case: JtRH Twenty-Third Level 3N2W Victory.demo. It will import. Click "Okay." In the upper left window (Demos for this level), click on the demo, then click the "Watch" button in the bottom left of the screen. You can just watch it play out, or use the left and right arrows to step through it as quickly or slowly as you want.

Note: If after clicking "Import", you don't see the downloaded demo in the files displayed, you may need to navigate to the directory where your computers places download files.

[Last edited by noma at 02-25-2007 09:38 PM]
02-25-2007 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Racine
noma wrote:
Racine wrote:
Thanks

Click on the link to the demo (left-side of the post under the poster's name, rank, etc.) Open JtRH. From the room the demo is for -- in this case Level 23, 3 North, 2 West -- press F6. Click the "Import" button. From the pop-up window choose the demo -- in this case: JtRH Twenty-Third Level 3N2W Victory.demo. It will import. Click "Okay." In the upper left window (Demos for this level), click on the demo, then click the "Watch" button in the bottom left of the screen. You can just watch it play out, or use the left and right arrows to step through it as quickly or slowly as you want.

Note: If after clicking "Import", you don't see the downloaded demo in the files displayed, you may need to navigate to the directory where your computers places download files.
Thanks a lot for the instructions
I am about to try

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-26-2007 12:58 PM]
02-26-2007 at 01:08 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Third Level : 3 North, 2 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com