Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Hearts question. (For card game historians or people with a good memory.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Hearts question. (0)  
Was Microsoft's mshearts introduced in Windows 95 or Windows 98? I mean the one they included with the O/S--not anything that might have been offered separately, i.e. Windows Entertainment Pack.

If anyone can tell me the name of the specific Hearts variant that was included with Windows, I would be impressed. This popular modern variant we have now isn't how people played Hearts on their kitchen tables in say... 1953.

-Erik

04-26-2005 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Hearts question. (+1)  
It's definitely not 95; it may have been the 95 Plus pack, or 98.

04-26-2005 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Well, I remember playing it on a network with some coworkers (I managed to shoot the moon) the summer after my freshman year in college which would have been 1996.

04-26-2005 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
ErikH2000 wrote:
Was Microsoft's mshearts introduced in Windows 95 or Windows 98?
Neither. I remember having a computer running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 that had Hearts on it, and I think that was the earliest.

This site has some interesting information on in in regards to Hearts if'n you're curious as well.

Edit: I meant Windows for Workgroups 3.11, not Windows 3.1. I've never seen Windows 3.1, but from what I know it's just the "Home" version of Windows 3.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:04-26-2005 at 01:18 AM]

04-26-2005 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
"name of variant"? I'm not sure there's a specific name, per se...

I've seen the following variables commonly altered in Hearts, depending on where people are from and who they've played with before:

running - always -26 to self; always +26 to everyone else; +26 to everyone else unless you'd lose, in which case -26 to yourself; runner's choice (which is pretty much the same as option 3, though we once threw about the conjecture that -100 should be instant win, in which case you might select -26 more often)

lead - eldest hand; 2 of clubs

queen of spades - breaks hearts; doesn't break hearts

blood on first trick - allowed; disallowed

jack of diamonds - nothing special; worth -10 points

scoring exactly 100 - game over; game on (must break 100); set score back to 50

---

on the other hand, these rules I've not seen vary:

passing - 3 to the left, 3 to the right, 3 across, hold (unofficially: 3 player = 4 to the left, 4 to the right, hold; 5 player = 2 to the left, 2 to the right, 2 2-spots-left, 2 2-spots-right, hold)

end of game - 100 points

hearts - 1 point each

queen of spades - 13 points

---

there's another variant of hearts called "no hearts" (which is really what hearts is :)) used as a subgame of Barbu.

[Edited by silver at Local Time:04-26-2005 at 02:13 AM]

04-26-2005 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Another variant I've played is that you can't pass out of a suit. For example, if you only have 3 hearts, and you pass 3 cards to the left, you can't pass all 3 hearts. You have to keep at least one.

04-26-2005 at 01:35 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Hearts question. (0)  
silver wrote:
"name of variant"? I'm not sure there's a specific name, per se...
By "variant", I mean the name given to a specific set of rules for playing a game. Being a big cheapskate, I bought a used 1963 edition of "Play According to Hoyle". The rules for Hearts described here vary radically from mshearts. Each player is "unpainted" until they take a trick with a heart. While unpainted you have a chance at winning points. After you take a trick you are "painted", and basically spend the rest of the hand trying to dump hearts on an unpainted player. Points will stay in a pot at end of the hand and carry over to the next hand if all players are painted.

See? It's a lot different! There was a time when this was the official way to play Hearts. Something changed between 1963 and 1995. Usually someone takes note of new variants becoming popular and gives them some kind of name to distinguish them. So for example, in Hearts, there is "Black Lady", "Cancellation Hearts", and "Omnibus Hearts" variants. When the new hearts we know today took over, somebody would have paid last respects to what used to be the standard set of rules and given it a variant name, i.e. "Painter Hearts".

I am also intrigued with an idea that Microsoft itself may have killed off the old-fashioned rules of play. (But I won't jump to conclusions.) The way one variant would take over is through a newfound popularity. Like right now it is becoming possible to say "Poker" and people will automatically think you mean "Texas Hold'em Poker" because that's what people are suddenly playing. But two years ago, Poker meant 5-card draw by default.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 at Local Time:04-26-2005 at 01:44 AM]

04-26-2005 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
I was playing Hearts the "modern" way before MS was a name other than "those guys who did DOS on those IBM computers no one can afford"... I've never heard of your variant. odd.

04-26-2005 at 01:46 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Yeah, I learned Hearts during Freshman year of college in 1994, and I don't know if anyone there had the MS version or not at that time, and it was pretty much the same rules. We played that a lot...that and Magic: The Gathering. And when I'd go home and play with older family, they always used the rules I knew, and my Dad I believe learned in college back in the late 60's/early 70's. And Stephen King's book Hearts in Atlantis has the title story devoted to playing Hearts in a campus dorm in the Vietnam era, with the same rules...and he is usually pretty good about his research.

A wild guess, but perhaps the British version of Hearts is different than the American version, and that's what Hoyle is reporting?

I've heard of most of the variants that silver mentioned, but not the "don't pass yourself out of a suit" one that stigant mentioned. That practically ruins the point of passing. :evil:

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-26-2005 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
silver wrote:
I was playing Hearts the "modern" way before MS was a name other than "those guys who did DOS on those IBM computers no one can afford"... I've never heard of your variant. odd.
Well, it probably was what most people were playing before MS picked it up. I shouldn't get too excited about my conspiracy theory. Or I should at least think of something more dramatic so the delusion will be more enjoyable.

Who killed "painter hearts"? I gotta know!

-Erik

04-26-2005 at 01:54 AM
silver
The answer doesn't seem to be here directly, but may be in some of the links off it: http://www.pagat.com/reverse/hearts.html

04-26-2005 at 01:59 AM
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
I've never heard of painter hearts...If someone could post all the rules though I would like to learn it. I do play the mshearts game (though it's a LOT more fun with real ppl). As for which version of windows had hearts:

I know windows had it in 98 for sure because I still have a computer with 98 on it. I'm fairly sure 95 had it, but I don't remember that well.

gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
I've never seen Windows 3.1, but from what I know it's just the "Home" version of Windows 3.
I still own a computer that has 3.1 on it. :D

p.s. this gave me an idea for a poll...
04-26-2005 at 05:42 AM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Chalks wrote:I still own a computer that has 3.1 on it. :D
I have a hard drive with windows 3.11 on it but it won't run on my computer for some reason :P .
04-26-2005 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Chalks wrote:
I still own a computer that has 3.1 on it. :D
Yeah... I have two computers with 3.11 on them and a pre-Windows computer sitting somewhere in my basement. All I know about the latter one is that it's about 5mhz on Turbo and have an orange and black monitor. Really cool, though. It had a weird "Create your own Adventure" game on it that I never got around to figuring out. A shame, really.

04-27-2005 at 02:41 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Amstrad :D ! Games on tapes! 10 minute loading times to load one screen! Green and black screen! Old computers live on!
04-27-2005 at 07:58 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Hearts question. (For card game historians or people with a good memory.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com