Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Methods of Payment For JtRH (I realize there's a price thread, but this is somewhat different)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Methods of Payment For JtRH (0)  
Okay.

For those of us, who, uh, aren't quite old enough to have credit cards, and are heavily into that whole 'intarweb' thing, is there any way to get this done via, say, email transfer, Paypal, some sort of method so that I don't have to wander down to the bank to tell people I'm wiring 25 or so dollars down the line in order to download a game?

Like, if I could get it via donating to drod.net, that would help.
04-23-2005 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Methods of Payment For JtRH (0)  
It is coming up a fair amount that people would like to use PayPal. I'm hesitant to offer PayPal for the following reasons:

1. Plimus doesn't offer it, so I'd need to set up a little fork in the road for ordering which makes the process more complicated from the end-user standpoint.

2. PayPal has terrible customer support and their response to many types of disputes is to lock down a vendor account such that it is impossible to receive payments while the dispute is in progress, and who knows how long that will take. In general, PayPal is geared up so they will not need to talk to vendors or customers. Everything works fine until somebody decides to dispute a charge, then it is a big problem.

3. I have a few other minor issues that are some work to describe fully. It is a larger hassle for me to track payments with PayPal.

So I may come around to using PayPal in the future. Other people do, but I'm feeling somewhat negative about it now. So far, I have 3 people who said they really wanted to use PayPal, and any factor that influences people one direction or another affects sales to some extent. If more people say "I really want to use PayPal" then at some point we may offer to it.

Still, there are a number of ways available now. The only ones that offer the immediate gratification we all want would be credit card and wire transfer, but there is also mail-in payments if you have some patience.

Another option is to find some buddy that's got a credit card and have him complete the order for you (using his identity for the order--not yours). Then hand your buddy a wad of cash and call it good.

So I guess that's what we have for now. Hopefully that is not too offputting, Banjooie!

-Erik

04-23-2005 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
Hm. Um. There's also email transfers, but those aren't easily automated. I know a lot of people have trouble with Paypal, of course, but.
04-24-2005 at 08:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
butsam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
Perhaps you could just pay someone in cash who has a credit card, and have them order it for you?

Sam
04-24-2005 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Methods of Payment For JtRH (I realize there's a price thread, but this is somewhat different)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com