Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Big problem with importing
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
IP: Logged
icon Big problem with importing (0)  
I exported my player data from build 20. My hold data refused to export, although I did have an export of an unfinished version of the hold, which I had previously exported fine, so it wasn't a major problem. I then upgraded to Build 22 (I missed 21, luckily as it sounds like it was a disaster) and re-imported. The hold is fine (although obviously needs finsihing off again), but my player is blank - I can only restore at the entrance of Level 1. Puzzled, and also because the crashes make it difficult to edit my hold in build 22, I re-installed build 20 from scratch in a different directory, updating from 1.5. This meant I couldn't then edit my hold when I imported it, and as it is in an unconquerable state, I imported my old player from the previous install of Build 20 (the one which didn't work in 22). When I tried this, I got a "successfully imported" message, but no file is imported (i.e. no new player listed on the Player Select screen).

I therefore am wondering...
Why should a file exported from the same build (although a different installation)not import, when it worked on the same installation?

And why did I lose my saved games and demos when importing to build 22, but not my hold editing rights?

So while I still have my hold and my saved games, they seem to be incompatible - so either I am going to have to restart my hold, or replay Dugan's dungeon...

Unless someone else can work out why this happened.

(Yes, I should have backed up the data, but as I had the exports and my DROD1_5.dat I thought that it wouldn't be needed.)

"Oook!"
06-23-2003 at 10:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Big problem with importing (0)  
krammer wrote:
I exported my player data from build 20. My hold data refused to export, although I did have an export of an unfinished version of the hold, which I had previously exported fine, so it wasn't a major problem. I then upgraded to Build 22 (I missed 21, luckily as it sounds like it was a disaster) and re-imported. The hold is fine (although obviously needs finsihing off again), but my player is blank - I can only restore at the entrance of Level 1. Puzzled, and also because the crashes make it difficult to edit my hold in build 22, I re-installed build 20 from scratch in a different directory, updating from 1.5. This meant I couldn't then edit my hold when I imported it, and as it is in an unconquerable state, I imported my old player from the previous install of Build 20 (the one which didn't work in 22). When I tried this, I got a "successfully imported" message, but no file is imported (i.e. no new player listed on the Player Select screen).
Erik!!!!!!!!

This is the exact same problem I have been trying to describe to you - I can't import player data from a file; only saved games from version 1.5 and holds from their hold files separately, and seem to be risking losing hold editing rights.

What shall I do if build 23 still fails to work? (I can't test it for a while - too much work to do first)

[Edited by agaricus5 on 06-23-2003 at 10:05 PM]

06-23-2003 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Big problem with importing (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Erik!!!!!!!!

This is the exact same problem I have been trying to describe to you - I can't import player data from a file; only saved games from version 1.5 and holds from their hold files separately, and seem to be risking losing hold editing rights.
Wes, please have patience with me. It's hard for me to keep up with the information coming in from the beta.

Could you send me your player file? Also, tell me again which build its from.

Ditto for Krammer.

We could try posting the files as attached files on the board. That's better for more than one person working on it.
What shall I do if build 23 still fails to work? (I can't test it for a while - too much work to do first)
It probably will still fail to work. I hope that your player file export is good and the problem is with the import.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 06-23-2003 at 10:36 PM]

06-23-2003 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: Re: Big problem with importing (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Wes, please have patience with me. It's hard for me to keep up with the information coming in from the beta.....
-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 06-23-2003 at 10:36 PM]
So sorry. I didn't mean to be so forceful at pushing the matter forward and rushing you. I hope I caused no offence. Build 22 looks cool in spite of the problems I had (When I got it to partially work...)

06-23-2003 at 10:42 PM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
So sorry. I didn't mean to be so forceful at pushing the matter forward and rushing you. I hope I caused no offence. Build 22 looks cool in spite of the problems I had (When I got it to partially work...)
No problem, Wesley. Really, don't worry about it.

I am wondering if your problem is really the same as Stuart's. Stuart's player *will* import. It's just that some saved games are corrupted and cause a crash.

My understanding is that you aren't able to import your player files at all. If you attach your player file to a post here and tell me which build it's from, I'll attempt to import it and see what kind of error comes up in my debug build of DROD.

-Erik

06-24-2003 at 06:18 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer

File: Mark.player (77.8 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Other
OK, I have attached my player file to this message. It was exported from Build 20, and I had completed both Dugan's Dungeon and Eytan's hold with it.

And I can import the file in the latest builds - it just acts as a new player, with no saved games whatsoever. In build 20 it won't import at all.

"Oook!"
06-24-2003 at 09:20 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Big problem with importing (0)  
krammer wrote:
OK, I have attached my player file to this message. It was exported from Build 20, and I had completed both Dugan's Dungeon and Eytan's hold with it.
I entered the bug. Thanks, Krammer.

-Erik

06-24-2003 at 04:11 PM
krammer
Ok Erik, you really aren't going to like this...

I can't seem to import holds either any more.
Well I can, but when I select them and click Continue, DROD immediately crashes out to the desktop. This happened with Claythro Tower and Wesley's Tar+Maze hold, in build 23. Of course, they may have used different builds to create them, but even so...

"Oook!"
06-25-2003 at 10:48 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Does anyone else have problems imorting Claythro's Tower?

I am able to import it into the current development version (and can't wait to play it later today). I have not tried on the latest released version.

06-25-2003 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
krammer
I do not understand this - I can't seem to play my own hold now either.

What is going on here I do not know, but I do know that none of these problems used to occur. Anyway, it's not Clayton's file that's the problem - it's any hold other than Dugan's dungeon, mine or anyone elses.

"Oook!"
06-25-2003 at 01:28 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Big problem with importing
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com