Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : MTG a CCG Poll
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
If you like Magis:The Gathering what isit in paticular that you like about?
The Art
The Flavour Text
The Abilitys
The POWER
I don't like Magic Cards
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Roth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
IP: Logged
icon MTG a CCG Poll (0)  
Hi!
I'd like to start by stating that I LOVE MAGIC CARDS!;)

And opinions or questions are wecomeB)
And if you are a MTG fan and would like to choose Option 6
-(I Like Everthing About MTG)-
I would like to here from you

An MTG Fan
Roth

undeniably
-Tim
06-23-2003 at 01:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: MTG a CCG Poll (0)  
Hmmm...well, I used to play Magic my senior year in high school and my first two years of undergrad...then off and on for the next few years after that. I still have all my cards (have a Mox Pearl, a Raging River, a Berzerk, and some other old cards, including some of the good dual lands) but haven't played for several years.

In any case, the main thing that I enjoyed about the game wasn't anything you listed, really, just the game itself. It was just fun. I mean, the art and the flavor text were okay, but they didn't make or break the game. I don't really know what you mean about "The POWER"...considering that I don't think that the cards actually impart any of their magic on me or anything like that.

The only option I might choose would be the abilities, but even then that isn't really a choice. I mean, take away the abilities and there isn't even a game. Whereas if there was no art or flavor text you could still play the game, but it might not be as interesting. Saying that the abilities are your favorite part is like saying that you like the lands the best or the fact that power and defense are given as #/#.

I think that my favorite part about the game was the variety. I was one of the few people I played with who had lots of cards from the Legends expansion, and I really liked the multi-colored cards. I used to make decks that had no more than one of a single card, except for the lands (and even then I tried to have different pictures). I didn't win very often, but I had fun getting some of those Legends out and wreaking havoc while it lasted. Then I would make a Thallid or a White Weenie deck, etc.

Even after I stopped playing I used to buy a few packs from each new expansion, just to collect a bit, but I finally stopped because I didn't know anyone who wanted to play anymore. Perhaps one of these days I will try to sell some of my cards on Ebay or something like that.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-23-2003 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: MTG a CCG Poll (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
In any case, the main thing that I enjoyed about the game wasn't anything you listed, really, just the game itself. It was just fun.
Exactly. I think the above poll needs a "gameplay" option.

I don't know if Wizards was the first to come up with CCGs, but man, they really showed how fun and crazy-addictive they could be.
I mean, the art and the flavor text were okay, but they didn't make or break the game. I don't really know what you mean about "The POWER"...considering that I don't think that the cards actually impart any of their magic on me or anything like that.
Wasn't that a magazine about the cards? No wait, I'm thinking of Nintendo Power.

Hmm. I was a bigger fan of toughness than power. My favorite kind of game was having some sorta big stupid harmless defense that bought me turns to put a really nasty offensive together.

At one point I bought a big box of like 5000 or something cards on e-bay. Then I went down to Wizards of the Coast in the U-District (You should have seen this place! It was a palace for gamers. Gone now, and replaced with crummy little mall alcoves.) I set out to play games with these guys that were on average about 10 years younger than me. The problem was that it was difficult to find anyone who just liked to play for the strategy of it. Munchkinism had taken over and everybody seemed more interested in collecting just-released cards than playing a decent game. My cards were all at least a year old and considered passe. In the end, I just wasn't interested enough to keep up.

Also in general, it's offent difficult finding paper gamers that are well-rounded with good social skills. Not to be a snob, but I have a hard time hanging out with people that are so into games that they can't seem to talk about anything else.

I've been more successful with this lately, and have greatly enjoyed several sessions of the Red Dwarf RPG run by the guy that wrote and published it.

-Erik

06-23-2003 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Re: MTG a CCG Poll (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Not to be a snob, but I have a hard time hanging out with people that are so into games that they can't seem to talk about anything else.

Heh, that's funny, I seem to like to find these discussion groups for little-known games (I used to hang out on the boards for Demise, a hack'n'slash CRPG for a while) and then I end up starting more off-topic posts than ones relating to the game. I think I like to find people who are into the same things that I am, just so when we do talk about other topics we will tend to think about them the same way. Not necessarily agree exactly, but at least come at them from a similar background.

I have heard of White Dwarf, but not Red Dwarf...what is that, do you have a link?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-23-2003 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
I choose option #8 - Never even seen a card. I have no idea whether or not I'd like it.

06-23-2003 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: MTG a CCG Poll (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
I have heard of White Dwarf, but not Red Dwarf...what is that, do you have a link?

The game is based on the Red Dwarf tv series on BBC (Scifi comedy). Here's something about it:

http://www.deep7.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=deep7&Product_Code=D7RPG200

And here is a nice summary of the last session we played.

http://www.deep7.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=220

(I'm Mervis, a mechanoid with a superiority complex that's disliked by the whole crew.)

-Erik

06-23-2003 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MTG a CCG Poll (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
(I'm Mervis, a mechanoid with a superiority complex that's disliked by the whole crew.)

Hmmm, sounds a lot like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...meets Paranoia, perhaps? I never was much of a sci-fi RPGer, though...and I certainly don't have enough time now for anything but my D&D 3e campaign. Glad you're having fun though.

Game on,

06-23-2003 at 10:14 PM
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
Go Red Dwarf!

I actually used to play Magic once, but retired about 3 months later. I haven't touched the game since. This is 8 years later, and there have been people who have wanted to play with me, and provided cards and everything.

I'm guessing the reason why I've stuck to this self-imposed ban is because I'm a very sore loser. :(

This is an issue.

Matt

06-24-2003 at 08:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
J.L.
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
I was addicted to that game a long time ago. Then I realized that I was plunking way too much cash into it. I had to buy several packs every time a new set came out, which seemed like it was monthly. The last pack I bought was from the weatherlight set.
06-30-2003 at 04:08 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : MTG a CCG Poll Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com