Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Inevitable Patch (TSS 5.1.1, RPG 1.2.8, GatEB 4.0.2, TCB 3.3.0, JtRH/KDD 2.0.17 -- Bug fixes and increased performance)
<<891011
Page 12 of 13
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (0)  
noma wrote:
You say there are five .dat files to back up, but in DROD 5 - The Second Sky/Data the only .dat I have is drod5_0.dat. There is unins000.dat in DROD 5 - The Second Sky but that's just the uninstaller. What other files should I be backing up?
On Windows, the files are typically in C:\ProgramData\Caravel\...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-24-2014 03:35 PM]
07-24-2014 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+1)  
mrimer wrote: On Windows, the files are typically in C:\ProgramData\Caravel\...
I'll add that ProgramData is hidden, so you have to switch on "show hidden files and folders" in folder options to find it.

[Last edited by Kwerulous at 07-24-2014 03:48 PM]
07-24-2014 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Right. Or just type it directly in the path bar.

07-24-2014 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Rank Points: 414
I've already replied to another post about this:

Crash when exporting player from TSS

How can I patch correctly when I can't export my player profile? I did activate the cloud sync but I'm not sure whether that worked or not. If the only issue with installing the latest version over the old one is that the TSS map goes funny, I could probably live with that, provided I can still use restore to access the levels (since I've completed the game I have all levels available), and assuming that only the TSS hold is affected. The other option would be to fresh install using my profile from GatEB. That would mean losing all my TSS progress so I'd have to play it through again, but I wouldn't be too bothered about doing that.

Progress - Gavin G
08-15-2014 at 12:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+4)  
martz, what I'd suggest to keep you moving for now if you want to go to 5.0.1 is:

- Backup your current .dat files in case this goes wrong or there's a way to get more stuff out later.
- Export saves only from TSS. Hopefully this works; it did for me even though I can't export that full profile.
- Export your full player profile from GatEB (or have a copy exported earlier).
- Uninstall TSS, delete your .dat files and do a clean install of 5.0.1.
- Import your GatEB player profile.
- Download / import any holds you want to keep progress in.
- Reimport your GatEB player profile.
- Import your TSS saves export.

That keeps your player ID intact (since you're importing a full profile from GatEB) and keeps your TSS progress (since you can restore to your furthest save and keep going). What you don't get from that method is any locally stored demos you've recorded in TSS so far.
08-16-2014 at 01:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
martz
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+2)  
Thank you!

That has worked...ish. I can access all rooms and levels on TSS although all the challenges are now marked as incomplete.

However, I still get the same crash when trying to export my profile :(

I wonder if it's something to do with size since my profile from GatEB is over 16MB and I got a couple of out of memory errors when importing my profile and saves (these were resolved by closing the program down and running it again)

I'm happy to provide profile/dat files etc. if someone wants to have a look at this issue.

EDIT: Just done a fresh cloud sync and it looks like it has picked up all my current hold progress so hopefully that might allow me to import my profile in the future

Progress - Gavin G

[Last edited by martz at 08-19-2014 10:24 AM]
08-19-2014 at 09:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tuttle
Don't know about size, but in my case it was definitely something in the original GatEB player profile which triggers the crash -- if I do the second import with a GatEB saves-only file then I can export without crashing, but with the full file future exports crash. My full player is just under 10 MB.

An extra set of dats probably wouldn't hurt whoever gets to look into this -- just zip them up and put them on Dropbox or Google Drive or something and email a link to bugs@caravelgames.
08-19-2014 at 10:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
martz
Since I've nothing to lose, I've been playing about with the cloud sync. I did a fresh install and imported my profile from the cloud - this took about 30 mins but there are still issues; a number of holds I've played have no progress, a number of holds show incorrect secret percentage (I think someone else reported this issue before?), and I still get a crash when I try and export my profile...

I'll try the steps below again, to see if I can get my profile exported from TSS, and I'll also send a zip of my dat files to the bugs email.

The only thing I've done apart from completing TSS is knocking off a few of the missing high scores I had from completed holds, but longer-term I'm reluctant to play any new holds if I can't export my profile.

I'll post here if I have any further luck.

Progress - Gavin G
08-19-2014 at 12:22 PM
Tuttle
If you want exportable, try doing the second GatEB import from a saves-only file -- that left my TSS in an exportable state. (You still need a full player file for the first import to bring across the player ID, but at that point there are no holds to import problematic data for.)

Doing it that way means you don't bring any demos across though, so don't lose those old .dat files if you want to collect everything together later.
08-19-2014 at 02:08 PM
martz
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+3)  
Success!

Following the instructions above I was able to port my profile over from GatEB and export it from TSS - I did still get the same error a few times but then it just worked. Importing a saves only profile meant I lost all the TSS challenges (although it only took about half an hour to regain them all) and I had about 20 holds where the secret percentage was incorrect, but again it wasn't too much effort to get those back to 100%.

I'll probably still send my dat files over at some point, but it probably won't be for a few weeks unless there's a need for them sooner.

Progress - Gavin G
08-22-2014 at 09:39 PM
mrimer
Yay! I'm so glad that worked. I apologize for the trouble that caused.

08-26-2014 at 01:08 AM
mrimer
icon DROD RPG 1.2.3 Update (+1)  
We've officially released DROD RPG:Tendry's Tale version 1.2.3 (build 152). You may find a Windows patch (and full installer for registered users) on the Downloads page.

Version 1.2.3 fixes several known game logic bugs, as well as display and performance issues. Please review the changelog.txt included in the patch for the complete list of changes).

The 1.2.3 demo and full installs contain several improved game graphics and fixes for issues reported in the official Tendry's Tale hold.

Linux and Mac versions soon forthcoming. :thumbsup

01-27-2016 at 12:44 PM
mrimer
We've done some minor additional patching to DROD RPG, and are uploading version 1.2.3.199.

02-08-2016 at 02:54 PM
mrimer
The OS X version of DROD RPG 1.2.3.99 is now live!

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-08-2016 04:31 PM]
02-08-2016 at 04:31 PM
mrimer
The Linux version of DROD RPG 1.2.3 is now live!

02-15-2016 at 05:39 PM
mrimer
I added a couple improvements in a small but useful 1.2.4 patch for DROD RPG:

+ Additional information in the projected duel outcome text: "(monster damage x hits, +? ATK to faster win)"
+ Player setting option "No focus plays music" (migrated from 5.x)

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-15-2016 09:22 PM]
02-15-2016 at 09:22 PM
mrimer
We have released TSS version 5.1.0. This is a significant upgrade, with multiple new script commands and many 5.0 game logic and cosmetic bug fixes, plus performance and stability improvements.

The TSS 5.1.0 full installer contains a few minor TSS room fixes, such as correcting typos or fixing incorrect room scripting. The 5.1.0 demo and full installers contain an improved texture (Deep Spaces wall filler).

Version 5.1 is fully backwards compatible. New holds created in 5.1 cannot be played in previous versions of the game engine (5.0.1 or earlier).

It is recommended for all TSS users to upgrade to 5.1.

You can read the entire 5.1.0 change log here.

Registered TSS players can download the full 5.1.0 installer from the Downloads link at the top of the forum. You can download the 5.1.0 demo installer on the CaravelGames TSS page.

As usual, game engine source code can be found here:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/site/SourceCode

Enjoy!

(Windows version now available. Linux and OS X versions forthcoming.)

-------------------

Please note that if you are upgrading from TSS 5.0.0 and have play progress in the TSS hold, there is a specific procedure you must follow for migrating your player data from 5.0.0 to 5.1.0, as follows:
* While running TSS version 5.0.0, export your player profile to disk.
* Delete your player profile.  (It is recommended to back up the five .dat files in the TSS application data directory first, just in case you experience any problems past this point.)
* Install TSS 5.1.0 on top of 5.0.0.
* Import your player profile from disk.
If you simply install 5.1.0 on top of your 5.0.0 install without following all of the above steps, then the result will likely be that you will see incorrect images displayed on the TSS world maps in your saved games.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-12-2016 03:08 PM]
03-12-2016 at 02:57 PM
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214

File: crash.png (9.1 KB)
Downloaded 737 times.
License: Public Domain
mrimer wrote:
* While running TSS version 5.0.0, export your player profile to disk.

[]

Best wishes,

adS

03-12-2016 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
Worth noting, and not explicitly said above:

You only need to follow the above process if your previous version was 5.0.0.

If you already did that process when upgrading to 5.0.1, you can just install over your existing install and you won't see issues with the TSS world map.
03-12-2016 at 04:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Oops - lucky me :)

Thanks a lot,

adS

03-12-2016 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
Deleting Lavender Levels should fix the crash though.

03-12-2016 at 05:24 PM
adS
Pinnacle wrote:
Deleting Lavender Levels should fix the crash though.

It does not.

adS

03-12-2016 at 05:39 PM
mrimer
You guys are talking about a crash when exporting a player file from 5.0.1? Fortunately, you shouldn't have to export your player file to upgrade to 5.1.0. Just install the game on top of your existing installation, and then you should be able to export your player profile.

03-12-2016 at 06:36 PM
adS
mrimer wrote:
You guys are talking about a crash when exporting a player file from 5.0.1? Fortunately, you shouldn't have to export your player file to upgrade to 5.1.0. Just install the game on top of your existing installation, and then you should be able to export your player profile.

No - Version 5.1.0 crashes when exporting.

Best wishes,

adS

03-12-2016 at 07:39 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
This seems to have something to do with having a lot of saves, as I do.

Here's a workaround: Copy your data files. Delete enough holds to get the file small enough to export, then export it.

Now paste your backed-up data files back in their original directory, and delete different holds so you have all the ones you deleted in the previous step. Export profile again to a different file.

Keep the backups around somewhere during this whole process just in case you have to do it multiple times.

I used this process to give myself a profile that just has the official holds in it, so I don't lose progress if those get further updates. It should work more generally, though.
03-12-2016 at 08:18 PM
Aquator
Rank Points: 405
I also encountered this issue and did pretty much the same exact thing as Dragon Fogel described.

Before that, however, I tried deleting only specific "parts" of the holds I had installed and then exported, in an effort to see if I could narrow things down to the "problem hold(s)" and from that I am fairly certain that Dragon Fogel is right in that the issue is somehow caused by the number of saves, rather than a specific problematic hold or the corruption of only a few select saves.

For example, (and this is just to explain my reasoning, I don't exactly remember how much and what I deleted because it turned out to be irrelevant) I first deleted all holds starting with N-Z and successfully exported. So I figured the holds starting with #-M and my saves for them must be alright.
However, from trying to narrow things down further and not finding any "culprit" I later learned that if I deleted all of my holds EXCEPT for the N-Z ones, I could also export my player without any issues.

I've seen the suggestion to delete Lavender Levels a few times when it comes to problems with the player export, but at least from this it would seem that there is an entirely different issue as well, which for some reason can be fixed by reducing the amount of installed holds/saves of the player.

[Last edited by Aquator at 03-12-2016 08:56 PM]
03-12-2016 at 08:54 PM
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
mrimer wrote:
(Windows version now available. Linux and OS X versions forthcoming.)

Any idea how soon these will be coming? I'd kinda like to know since I use Linux and can't user the windows version of the installer.

[Last edited by IQubic at 03-12-2016 10:37 PM]
03-12-2016 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Same here, regarding the Mac version.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
03-13-2016 at 01:32 AM
mrimer
I'd guess next week.

03-13-2016 at 04:59 AM
Tuttle
The exporting with lots of saves crash thing seems to be limited to Windows. If you can copy your .dat files to a Linux or Mac system then you can do a complete export. (Preferably with the 64-bit version, although my .dats export okay from Linux 32-bit as well).

Otherwise, backing up the files and deleting a bunch of holds to reduce the amount of data you're moving around at once seems to be the best way to work around it on Windows alone.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 03-13-2016 05:52 AM]
03-13-2016 at 05:51 AM
<<891011
Page 12 of 13
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Inevitable Patch (TSS 5.1.1, RPG 1.2.8, GatEB 4.0.2, TCB 3.3.0, JtRH/KDD 2.0.17 -- Bug fixes and increased performance)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com