Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Inevitable Patch (TSS 5.1.1, RPG 1.2.8, GatEB 4.0.2, TCB 3.3.0, JtRH/KDD 2.0.17 -- Bug fixes and increased performance)
Page 1 of 13
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon The Inevitable Patch (+1)  
Yes, we really did test this thing for several months, but there were still some things we missed. I tried to find the list of bugs fixed, but it got lost in the torrent. Mike, if you've got the change list handy, feel free to post it. The bugs fixed were substantial--some of them involving data loss--so you will want to have this patch if you are running any version of JtRH less than 2.0.5. You can read the version# on the title screen. Unless you ordered JtRH in the last few days, you probably have an earlier version.

In the demo version, the game now tries to offer help when somebody is having trouble on a room. If the player wants help, he is basically given some encouragement ("Beethro wouldn't give up!") and is pushed off to the "hints and solutions" board. "Won't that get annoying for people to see that message repeatedly?" you ask. Well, we only ask one time and then shut up after that.

The news marquee seen on the title screen will now make a little notification noise when news is updated, and more importantly, you can click on hyperlinks to bring up the browser! No more URL-copying by memory.

Okay, so these last two things aren't going to be such a big deal to you. They mainly serve to get people more involved on the forum, which can be both good and bad. When the newbies stumble onto the forum and start posting dumb questions and leaving empty beer cans laying around, let's be friendly and patient with them. Moderators will straighten out any problems that need it.

You want to know where to get the patch. First off, we just have Windows patches now, but Trick will be sending us the 2.0.5 patch for Linux soon enough, and I'll update this post and some other places to include it.

EDIT: All current patches are found at this URL.
http://caravelgames.com/jtrhpatch.html

I've made two announcements so far today. There is one more big one coming up. Stand by!

-Erik

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-07-2023 12:30 PM]
04-15-2005 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5054

File: changelog.txt (2.4 KB)
Downloaded 214 times.
License: Other
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+2)  
I've attached the changelog for the patches up to the current one, version 2.0.5. It fixes the things Erik mentioned, and any bugs I mentioned I've taken care of over the last couple weeks.

Now for a few nitpicky details, for anyone interested in nitpicky details.

As Erik mentioned, we've enhanced the way the news marquee works. That means that we'll start using it in a way not supported before 2.0.3 (2.003). If you're not using the patch, and the news marquee doesn't show all the text, this simply means installing the patch will fix the problem.

Same goes for other minor weird details you might see. So I would like to request that no one report any bugs unless they've already patched their version to 2.0.5. That being said, here are a couple things that will be slightly wrong after you apply the patch, and can be ignored:

In version 2.0.1 (this was also briefly called 2.001), I fixed a minor problem with the way Halph follows Beethro around. (This is what caused that thing about Halph getting written into an error file for some people who have version 2.0.1, which incidentally shouldn't cause you any problems.) So, if you have version 2.000, then after you install this patch one of the title screen demos with Halph following Beethro will function differently. This isn't a bug, just an old version of the demo, and it won't cause you any problems in the game.

I fixed two minor script problems in level 3. One was the possible Slayer kill. These aren't critical and won't be fixed by the above patch (I'm assuming no one who has version 2.000 really cares about applying a patch that will only make it impossible for them to kill the Slayer in that one room of L3). But, if you just have the demo, and you have an insatiable craving for all the apps on your computer to approach absolute perfection, then you can just download the full 2.0.5 demo version from CaravelGames.com again and it will have this fix included (and the now-weird Halph demo mentioned above will be fixed).

If you have an early version of the demo, and want to patch it, an empty dialogue box might pop up when you play the JtRH demo hold. Just ignore it. If you don't want it to be empty, then you may download the full 2.0.5 demo from CaravelGames.com to fix it.

If any of these details confused you, then I'd say don't sweat it. They're just nits that won't affect the performance of the game at all, but I thought I'd mention them just in case.

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:04-16-2005 at 10:20 PM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-16-2005 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+1)  
If you're using the Linux version and want to upgrade everything, but don't want to download the full setup again, you'll like this: The Linux patches actually do upgrade the data files.

If you don't want to upgrade everything, however, you'll like this: It's voluntary whether or not to actually use the upgraded dats.

Yes, I'm here to please.

So, how does this work ? It's actually pretty simple. If you don't want to use the new files, you don't have to do anything (apart from running the patch, of course). If you do want to use the new files, do this (preferably before patching, but you can do it after patching as well):

1. Export your player (and any custom holds, of course).
2. Exit drod.
3. Delete ~/.caravel/drod-2_0 (or ~/.caravel/drod-2_0-demo for the demo).
4. If you didn't apply the patch yet, do it now.
5. Start drod again and import your stuff. Congratulations, you're now using the new data!

The 2.0.5 setups and patches for Linux should be available soon.

- Gerry
04-16-2005 at 02:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (0)  
It should be noted that an "access is denied" message is received during installation if you have JtRH running.
04-16-2005 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177
Well, the patch doesn't download on my system. Clicking on it brings up a dialog box which disappears. The file does not exist on my system (I've looked). 'Save Target As' does the same. Still playing version 2.001 here. :P
04-16-2005 at 07:22 PM
ErikH2000
SbCl3 wrote:
It should be noted that an "access is denied" message is received during installation if you have JtRH running.
Yes, it is a good idea to close JtRH before running the patch.

-Erik

04-16-2005 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
HopelessAmateur wrote:
Well, the patch doesn't download on my system. Clicking on it brings up a dialog box which disappears. The file does not exist on my system (I've looked). 'Save Target As' does the same. Still playing version 2.001 here. :P
I was able to download and run it just now. Hmm.

Some suggestions:
* Try clearing the file cache of your browser and reattempt the download.
* Check your disk space on the drive to which you are saving the file.

-Erik

04-16-2005 at 07:45 PM
HopelessAmateur
ErikH2000 wrote:* Try clearing the file cache of your browser and reattempt the download.
-Erik
That did it. Thanks :D
04-16-2005 at 10:34 PM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
I just installed the patch, and now, if I am not connected to the 'net and I start JtRH and leave it to let it show a demo, it always shows the one from level 2 and then exits. This happens every time. If I'm connected to the 'net, it's OK.
04-18-2005 at 12:59 PM
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
Have the CD versions that were sent out been patched?
04-21-2005 at 06:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Yes, the CDs all have 2.0.5, which matches the current downloadables we give out and the patch version.

-Erik

04-21-2005 at 07:28 AM
mrimer
icon DROD:JtRH 2.0.6 Patch Released (+2)  
The DROD:JtRH 2.0.6 Windows patch has been released and is recommended for everyone, especially people with lower-end systems. It includes the following enhancements/changes (+) or bug fixes (*):

+ Low-quality graphics: Turning off alpha blending now gives more benefit to lower-end systems (less frame rate drop instead of more complex rendering).
+ High score submitting: Now demos you have already submitted are not tested again for submission.
+ Door placement: Sped up placement of large yellow doors in room editor.
+ Troubleshooting readme: Added to address some common startup issues.
* CaravelNet key loss: Fixed your key being invalidated on the settings screen after editor playtesting.
* Browser: Opening external browser from in-game while full screen might freeze cursor.
* Custom speech speaker: Was resetting to None after playing once.
* CaravelNet rank: Was not displaying higher scores correctly.
* Death animation: Fixed minor rendering problems.
* Explosions: Reduced delay when rendering large explosions.
* CaravelNet: Fixed problems showing extended ASCII chars (in hold/author names).

To patch the Windows full version of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, install this file.

To patch the Windows demo version of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, install this file.

04-25-2005 at 04:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: DROD:JtRH 2.0.6 Patch Released (0)  
mrimer wrote:
+ High score submitting: Now demos you have already submitted are not tested again for submission.

I'm a bit confused about this; what happens if a demo is lost on the server for some reason (such as when Schik had to clear buggy holds or, say, if there is a general reset)?

04-25-2005 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HopelessAmateur
Anyone else experiencing problems loading saved players? After I load saved players, I get kicked. I have 2.0.6
04-25-2005 at 10:25 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
The link in Erik's post goes to the 2.0.5 patch :? .
04-25-2005 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Let's just use this URL to have the latest links for patches. I don't want to keep updating this post.

Hmm. I'll go back up and remove the URLs to avoid confusion.

-Erik

04-25-2005 at 11:09 PM
schep
Rank Points: 864
Any chance the page could display the most recent patch version for each file or platform? I mean, if I hover, I can see that 2.0.5 is in the Linux filename, so the page is a bit deceptive at the moment.
04-25-2005 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
That is the most recent patch for Linux. In a little while we will have 2.0.6 patches for Linux and the page will be updated to reflect.

-Erik

04-25-2005 at 11:23 PM
schep
Exactly. I mean that I would have preferred if the page said that the Linux files are 2.0.5, by more than just the filename. I wouldn't make a big deal about it, except that this sort of thing is likely to happen a few more times.

04-25-2005 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Okay, you're right, thanks! I fixed it.

-Erik

04-25-2005 at 11:40 PM
schep
ErikH2000 wrote:
In a little while we will have 2.0.6 patches for Linux
Bump.

It's been over a week. Can somebody offer a vague reassurance?
:|
05-04-2005 at 01:26 AM
trick
Hello, schep. I hereby offer you, as well as anyone else waiting for the Linux patch, profound apologies as well as vague reassurance.

I'm very sorry about this delay. In a perfect world I would have all the time in the world to set up the Linux patches for simultaneous release with the Windows ones. Unfortunately I have a lot to do these days, and I have to prioritize some things (like university) over DROD. Hope you understand.

I'll try to set it up today.

- Gerry
05-04-2005 at 01:21 PM
trick

File: DRODJtRHPatch-2.0.5-to-2.0.6.run (639.5 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Other
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+4)  
It seems I was using a very wide definition of "today" there..

In any case, the patch is finally done. Until it's uploaded to caravelgames.com, I attached a patcher to this post. This one is for the full version, and requires 2.0.5. Other patchers will be available at caravelgames.com shortly.

- Gerry
05-06-2005 at 06:59 PM
mrimer
icon 2.0.7 Patch (Windows) (+4)  
The DROD:JtRH 2.0.7 Windows patch has been released. It includes many enhancements/changes (+) and bug fixes (*):

+ CaravelNet holds: augmented displayed hold information on download screen. On hold upgrade, demo scores can be re-uploaded. Beta holds now recognized. Help files updated.
+ CaravelNet Scores upload: now faster and more friendly -- allows interrupting the process at any time. Cleaned up Internet options on Settings screen.
+ Room UI: now can click on tunnels to highlight the exit tunnel. Added hold name to stats box. Refined minor handling issues.
+ Demos screen: reduced delay when selecting a demo.
+ Memory usage: Slightly optimized. Screen fades now take up 50% less memory.
* Startup: could open more than one instance of the program at the same time, possibly causing data loss
* CaravelNet: Marquee crash when not connected; some CaravelNet holds were not matching up with local holds; now not allowed to download non-existent demos; now tracks version and OS.
* Room editor: could copy a monster onto a serpent head, causing a crash; placing NPCs wasn't updating where swords are located in the room; copy region highlight not being reset; fixed phantom orb-door associations after a copy-and-paste.
* Saved games: now overwrites the saved games at the beginning of a hold any time you start the hold from the beginning (via Play New Game). Now overwrites the saved games made at the start of a level if you enter the level w/o any rooms in it explored yet. Now the saved game made on exiting a hold is always resaved. The turn exiting a hold is now counted.
* Multi-room demos: now room featuring stairs exit won't mistake room as conquered; map now updates instantly on room change.
* Evil eye: gaze is no longer obstructed by a tunnel.
* Brains: now don't direct monsters toward an invisible player when a decoy is next to the brain
* Slayer: patched a tactical vulnerability; sometimes could have two wisps
* Tar mother: now grows when the player is invisible and a decoy is near it; now does not grow if a monster kills it on the same turn that it would spawn
* Character: fixed rapid running with MoveTo conditional; WaitForCleanRoom script command now waits until green doors have dropped.
* Serpents: now brained movement won't move them the wrong way off force arrows.

To patch the Windows full version of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, install this file.

To patch the Windows demo version of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, install this file.

05-24-2005 at 12:46 AM
mrimer
icon Modding in 2.0.7 (0)  
Yikes! I forgot to mention that we have facilitated flexible tile modding in this new version. The drod.ini has been updated with a new [Graphics] section that contains the base file names of the general tiles file and for each graphics style. Renaming these entries is one way to get JtRH to use your own mods. A simpler way to partially or fully override graphics tiles is by adding more filenames (either semicolon separated on the same line, or by adding new line entries to the ini). Adam's got an example of how to implement a tar mod, which he'll be posting a bit later.

Note that 2.0.7 won't work without this new INI section. It is added automatically by the patch, and shouldn't be removed.

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:05-24-2005 at 01:23 AM]

05-24-2005 at 01:08 AM
trick
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+2)  
Before anyone asks, I'm working on the Linux patch as we speak (or, eh, type). It won't be long this time :)

- Gerry
05-24-2005 at 01:21 AM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
When is the source to be released ? I wanna make sure the FreeBSD version is up to date!

Also, would it be worth changing the filename of this: http://www.caravelgames.com/distfiles/DROD20Source.zip to match the patch level ?

[star wars joke]
Use the source, luke.
[/star wars joke]

Cheers!

Jamie

[Edited by jamie at Local Time:05-24-2005 at 01:47 AM]

05-24-2005 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Just a small question:

Do we need to upgrade to 2.0.6 before upgrading to 2.0.7? Or do they have to patch to 2.0.6 first?

(Not that I need to concern about this right now, I've got 2.0.6 ;))

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:05-24-2005 at 10:43 PM]

05-24-2005 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
For Windows, I'm making each 2.0.x patch so that it works from any older version of JtRH.

05-24-2005 at 11:19 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
* Tar mother: now grows when the player is invisible and a decoy is near it; now does not grow if a monster kills it on the same turn that it would spawn
Beethro does mean things. But a monster? ...
It is also on caravelgames.com

05-25-2005 at 03:19 AM
Page 1 of 13
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Inevitable Patch (TSS 5.1.1, RPG 1.2.8, GatEB 4.0.2, TCB 3.3.0, JtRH/KDD 2.0.17 -- Bug fixes and increased performance)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com