Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West
Page 1 of 3
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West (0)  
My brain is currently defective, as I can think of no way to keep mud babies from forming at 1 in this picture. Some help would be appreciated.

04-15-2005 at 05:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West (+1)  
Just some gentle nudges to get you started:

Click here to view the secret text

"Oook!"
04-15-2005 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West (0)  
Ingenious! Thanks, done.

04-15-2005 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
philrennert
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
I'm still stuck not being too time consuming. And how can you tell when you're screwed time-wise - I hate to go through the whole trapdoor thing when it's hopeless. Do those two warnings (better hurry up, not gonna work) mean it's time to start over?
04-23-2005 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
I'm not sure about the second one, but I got better hurry up and cleared it anyway.

04-23-2005 at 01:17 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
philrennert wrote:
I'm still stuck not being too time consuming. And how can you tell when you're screwed time-wise - I hate to go through the whole trapdoor thing when it's hopeless. Do those two warnings (better hurry up, not gonna work) mean it's time to start over?

Pretty much, if you get the second warning, start over. But I think Beethro only says either one in the bottom part...so if you get to the trapdoors and take too long there he won't warn you, I think.

If you need hints on doing it faster, it will definitely help if you tell us what you've been doing (secreted of course :) ).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-23-2005 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
philrennert
04-23-2005 at 05:54 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
It may be possible to complete the room using your method, but it's definitely going to be tough.

"Oook!"
04-23-2005 at 06:04 PM
philrennert
Okay, got it: thanks a lot!

04-24-2005 at 06:47 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
In the vernacular, "Level 24 is doin' my 'ead in." At least five days now, and I've only completed 3 rooms.

In this room, I am at the very least 60 moves too late to reach the mud at the top, and I can't figure out how to clear the tar any more efficiently. I get the "I don't think this is gonna work" message, or whatever it says, just as I finish clearing the left hand 3x3 block of tar. By the time I reach 1, or that general area, with a 3x5 block of tar still to cut, the mud has reached 2. Tips on how to get through the tar more efficiently would be most welcome.
05-01-2005 at 10:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rothro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
bandit1200 wrote:
In the vernacular, "Level 24 is doin' my 'ead in." At least five days now, and I've only completed 3 rooms.

In this room, I am at the very least 60 moves too late to reach the mud at the top, and I can't figure out how to clear the tar any more efficiently. I get the "I don't think this is gonna work" message, or whatever it says, just as I finish clearing the left hand 3x3 block of tar. By the time I reach 1, or that general area, with a 3x5 block of tar still to cut, the mud has reached 2. Tips on how to get through the tar more efficiently would be most welcome.

OK, some more nudges, most good tips are already in the posts above.

And

Hope it helps

Cheers,
Rothro

05-01-2005 at 12:34 PM
bandit1200
rothro wrote:
Looks like this is where I am going wrong. I'll give it a try after the holiday. Thanks.

05-02-2005 at 08:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
bandit1200 wrote:
rothro wrote:
Looks like this is where I am going wrong. I'll give it a try after the holiday. Thanks.
Well, there's some flexibility here. I always do that to solve the room, and I can ultimately solve it with about 40 moves of leeway.

[Edited by AlefBet at Local Time:05-02-2005 at 06:00 PM: Added emphasis.]

++Adam H. Peterson
05-02-2005 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87

05-02-2005 at 05:18 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373

05-02-2005 at 10:23 PM
bandit1200
Well, after 3 weeks at this room, I am nowhere nearer to completing it. I must have spent more time on this room that I did in all the rest of the game and I have no idea why I am having such difficulty with this one, especially as it's obvious what needs doing.

It looks like my Journey to Rooted Hold has come to an end, short of its destination.
05-17-2005 at 10:45 AM
masonjason
It's a pity to give up playing a hold over one room. Would a demo help?

05-17-2005 at 12:33 PM
bandit1200
It's a pity to give up playing a hold over one room. Would a demo help?

Thanks for the offer, though I am not sure I can play a demo until I have completed the room. I could be wrong, but it would be nice to see where I have been going wrong all this time.

As it turns out, I have managed to get close, so close in fact that this morning I failed by just one move, so now I need a new keyboard. :lol It's just a matter of shaving a couple of moves off after the second checkpoint, but the second time I tried this morning, I was back to around 60 moves short. I'll probably get there eventually, but I really don't have enough years left in me to be taking this long over one puzzle. ;)
05-17-2005 at 01:34 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381

File: JtRH Twenty-Fourth Level 1S1W Victory.demo (7.1 KB)
Downloaded 737 times.
License: Other
You can play a demo before conquering a room, you just can't download high score demos before conquering a room.

Here's my best demo, which is far from the best on CaravelNet, but it gets the job done.

[Edited by Schik at Local Time:05-17-2005 at 02:15 PM]

05-17-2005 at 02:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bandit1200
Thanks Matt. It turns out that all I am doing wrong is not being efficient enough through the tar on the trapdoors. I have problems with any room that depends on some efficiency, so I guess it's just a matter of persevering.
05-17-2005 at 05:37 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
bandit1200 wrote:
Thanks Matt. It turns out that all I am doing wrong is not being efficient enough through the tar on the trapdoors. I have problems with any room that depends on some efficiency, so I guess it's just a matter of persevering.
The "secret" to being more efficient on the trapdoors is...

05-17-2005 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bandit1200
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West (+3)  
Finally made it! That was a nightmare. I played that room a good 8 hours today before finally getting through it.
05-17-2005 at 09:26 PM
goldenlion
Rank Points: 199
I feel your pain, Bandit... it about felt like 8 hours finishing that room today.

curiously:

The push has begun, I'm headed to the end of JtRH!

05-27-2005 at 10:41 PM
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
Oh dear god, this room hurt my brain. Can I just ask what sick freak designed this room, just so I know who to talk to when I feel like torturing my brain again?

In other words, thank you for making me give myself a haircut and entertaining me for like 20+ hours. I would've NEVER thought of that tar-cutting at the beginning. O_o
08-11-2005 at 09:45 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
There are definitely some difficult secret rooms in everybody's favorite L22, but I say L24:1S1W gets nominated as the diabolical equivalent of the "three momma room" in KDD:L8. That is, this was the room that made me feel most like I felt when playing the three momma room in Webfoot DROD way back when. :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-11-2005 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
mrimer wrote:
There are definitely some difficult secret rooms in everybody's favorite L22, but I say L24:1S1W gets nominated as the diabolical equivalent of the "three momma room" in KDD:L8. That is, this was the room that made me feel most like I felt when playing the three momma room in Webfoot DROD way back when. :thumbsup

Right there with you...well, except for that part about Webfoot DROD, as I've only been playing DROD for about three months.

I'm now stuck on this room and a very nasty secret room on L22. Maybe I'll figure one or the other out soon...

I think I know everything I need to do, I'm just too slow. Gotta work on the efficiency thing.

03-29-2006 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
OK, more pain, more effort...Hoping someone can give me some gentle nudges here.

I believe that I have everything set up to properly be able to complete the level, but at the moment I'm clocking in at least 30 moves too slow.

What I'm hoping someone can tell me is something along the lines of:

If you hit this checkpoint with more than X moves, you have no chance of finishing. What are some good move counts for the various checkpoints?

At the moment, I'm hitting checkpoint #3 (about halfway through all the trapdoors) with a move count of 567. Too high?

I am working hard on optimizing my path here (not hard enough, perhaps), but going through the room takes so long that I'd rather be able to know I'm not going to make it before I fight my way to the end.

Thanks for any help!
Josh

03-31-2006 at 04:10 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West (+4)  
Hmm...

If the mud isn't blocked at all, it becomes uncuttable at move 840.

There are about roughly 210 or so trapdoors between the middle checkpoint and the critical location, and about 110 squares of tar on those trapdoors.

So 840 - 320 = 520 is a rough estimate. There's probably a little leeway there - I think turns where you both kill and move are going to be more common than turns where you do neither.

I think 567 is probably no good. :(
03-31-2006 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rabscuttle wrote:

So 840 - 320 = 520 is a rough estimate. There's probably a little leeway there - I think turns where you both kill and move are going to be more common than turns where you do neither.

Thanks! It helps me figure out where I need to concentrate on.

I make it to the second checkpoint (end of the tar) after Beethro says "I'd better hurry up!" but before his second comment. So I think I'm still good there. So I guess I need to work on trimmin g some moves off of the first part of the trapdoors. (Although I guess any improvement is a plus.)

03-31-2006 at 04:46 PM
jbluestein
Rabscuttle wrote:
Hmm...

If the mud isn't blocked at all, it becomes uncuttable at move 840.

There are about roughly 210 or so trapdoors between the middle checkpoint and the critical location, and about 110 squares of tar on those trapdoors.

In looking at this, I had another question:

04-03-2006 at 04:48 PM
Page 1 of 3
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com