Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Any particular reason why I should need to keep requesting a key?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
IP: Logged
icon Any particular reason why I should need to keep requesting a key? (0)  
This is the third time I've been unable to connect to CaravelNet and had to get a new key.
04-13-2005 at 10:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Any particular reason why I should need to keep requesting a key? (0)  
Has this happened only after crashes? Or are you otherwise not shutting DROD down properly? After a crash, I would not be surprised that the CaravelNet key is not valid.

If it's not related to crashes, then if you can figure out how to reproduce this, we can fix it. Any hints how to reproduce it would be great.

04-13-2005 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
I'll keep an eye out for anything untoward that might cause it if it happens again. There have been no crashes and the computer is never switched off, so JtRH always gets closed as it should.

I assume that the key is kept in one of the data files if it's susceptible to getting corrupt or lost due to a crash. Wouldn't it have been better to have kept it encrypted somewhere safe where it couldn't get corrupted? Just wondering.
04-13-2005 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
bandit1200 wrote:
Wouldn't it have been better to have kept it encrypted somewhere safe where it couldn't get corrupted? Just wondering.

But, what's really considered "safe"? Since it is accessed by the program, it could still be corrupted. Corruption, in my opinion, doesn't seem likely in this case. Seems that it would be something that the program is doing. Specific steps that you are taking for it to happen.
04-13-2005 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
bradwall wrote (yes, me):
Specific steps that you are taking for it to happen.

Not pointing the finger at you. It's Mike... all Mikes fault. :)
04-13-2005 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
I've had to request several keys as well. Though I think the problem may be that I leave DROD on 24/7 and its losing its connection to caravel.net. I haven't tried just shutting down and restarting DROD. Will that force a reconnection? And is there a way to renew the connection without requesting a new key and without restarting DROD?

04-14-2005 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
There's no persistent connection. DROD connects to CaravelNet whenever it needs it - generally when conquering a room or leaving the game screen or settings screen. So leaving it up 24/7 *shouldn't* be a problem. As some people are losing keys, there obviously is a problem somewhere. Again, if anyone can reliably reproduce losing a CaravelNet key, that would *really* help.

04-14-2005 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
asmussen
Rank Points: 188
icon Re: Any particular reason why I should need to keep requesting a key? (+1)  
Schik wrote:
There's no persistent connection. DROD connects to CaravelNet whenever it needs it - generally when conquering a room or leaving the game screen or settings screen. So leaving it up 24/7 *shouldn't* be a problem. As some people are losing keys, there obviously is a problem somewhere. Again, if anyone can reliably reproduce losing a CaravelNet key, that would *really* help.

Well, I don't know if it helps any, but I can reliably make my CaravelNet key break using the steps I describe about halfway down this thread: http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5716

04-14-2005 at 07:58 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Any particular reason why I should need to keep requesting a key?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com