Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : JtRH L7 2N
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Songsmith
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
IP: Logged
icon JtRH L7 2N (0)  

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wackhead_uk wrote:
I still can't do L7 2N - even if the roaches weren't there I can't reach the potion in time. I can see what has to be done, but I can't do it in time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To which was the reply:

Click here to view the secret text

This still doesn't make sense to me... I can't stop them getting into the farthest corners. I can't use their spawn to stop them because they spawn after they've reached the corners.

Please help!
Thanks
Jan

04-07-2005 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: JtRH L7 2N (+1)  
it looks something like this in the corner, right?
.<    . = free square
.<    <, ^ - force arrows
^^

When you get to the invis. potion, where is the queen? If you are as efficient as possible,

Now, assuming for a second, that you could get the queen to stay there, what square(s) could you kill her from and still escape the room?

Ok, but if you step there, she'll certainly be able to see you and will move to an unreachable square. What could prevent her from moving to an unreachable square?

So the trick is to get her to lay an egg without pushing her onto an unreachable square. How could you do that?

complete spoiler:

04-07-2005 at 03:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Songsmith
icon Re: JtRH L7 2N (0)  

Thank you... the only problem is I can't get to the position you suggest to force her to move - there's a wall in the way, and it's immoveable!

Sorry - still stuck!
:(
Jan

04-07-2005 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Does this help:

04-07-2005 at 04:33 PM
Songsmith
stigant wrote:
Does this help:

Thank you :thumbsup
It was efficiency in which I was deficient - I thought I'd tried the sword pointin in every direction... but obviously I hadn't!
Jan

04-07-2005 at 05:19 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Ok, level 5 and 6 was easy.

I dont get it. I read through the thread. In which direction shall my sword point when I enter ?
05-28-2005 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Well, if you really want to know...

"Oook!"
05-28-2005 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Let me just say that

And if you donīt want to figure anything out:

05-28-2005 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Thank you you two. I now got the room and that west of it now and directly jumped to level Eight without doing the rest of level 7 (I found Level 8 in my restore screen.)
05-28-2005 at 08:03 PM
buddkin
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Dont works.

Q<-B
.<
^^
The Queen doesnt move to the lower free square.
06-08-2005 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
buddkin wrote:
The Queen doesnt move to the lower free square.
Correct.

The other hints in the thread (especially stigant's) should explain well enough how to do that.
06-08-2005 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
grandmoo
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
My question is not so much how to do this, or any other room with force arrows, what I don't seem to be able to grasp is why we can move off some force arrows to the side, and on others we get stuck. Is this an inconsistency, or am I forgetting how it's really been?:-?

07-31-2005 at 08:26 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
grandmoo wrote:
what I don't seem to be able to grasp is why we can move off some force arrows to the side, and on others we get stuck. Is this an inconsistency, or am I forgetting how it's really been?:-?
All force arrows work the same. You can move onto them from 5 directions, and move off of them to 5 directions. If a force arrow is pointing North, you can move onto it from the E, SE, S, SW, and W. You can move off of it to the E, NE, N, NW, and W. For the other 7 orientations of a force arrow, rotate these directions accordingly.

If you are on a force arrow and want to move onto another one, then both sets of rules apply, of course. You have to be able to move off of the one you are on, and also have to be able to move onto your destination one. Everything is consistent, so just experiment in the editor if you are still confused.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-31-2005 at 08:57 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Oneiromancer wrote:
grandmoo wrote:
what I don't seem to be able to grasp is why we can move off some force arrows to the side, and on others we get stuck. Is this an inconsistency, or am I forgetting how it's really been?:-?
All force arrows work the same. You can move onto them from 5 directions, and move off of them to 5 directions. If a force arrow is pointing North, you can move onto it from the E, SE, S, SW, and W. You can move off of it to the E, NE, N, NW, and W. For the other 7 orientations of a force arrow, rotate these directions accordingly.

If you are on a force arrow and want to move onto another one, then both sets of rules apply, of course. You have to be able to move off of the one you are on, and also have to be able to move onto your destination one. Everything is consistent, so just experiment in the editor if you are still confused.

Game on,
Generically, you can enter a force arrow in any direction 90-180 degrees from the direction it points in. You can leave a force arrow in any direction from 0-90 degrees from the direction it points in.

07-31-2005 at 12:28 PM
bmwasimo
Blondbeard wrote:
Let me just say that

And if you donīt want to figure anything out:

I am still stuck on this level the queen reaches the corner before am able to kill the first 2 roaches let alone get to the invisibility. Please help I don't want hints as I read all the hints that have been written before.
06-15-2006 at 06:23 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
bmwasimo wrote:
I am still stuck on this level the queen reaches the corner before am able to kill the first 2 roaches let alone get to the invisibility. Please help I don't want hints as I read all the hints that have been written before.

You should have all the information available then. But here it is, explicitly:

Hope this is explicit enough. If you need more, I can provide a demo.

06-15-2006 at 06:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
bmwasimo wrote:
Please help I don't want hints as I read all the hints that have been written before.
Ummm... it's a bit hard to help you without giving out hints, you know? :look

Anyway, here's how to get to the invisibility potion:

After this, you'll be invisible, the top left queen will be on the southern tile of her box and the other queen will be on the arrows pointing north.

Killing the other roaches while doing the above shouldn't be much of a problem I suppose...

(Curse you, jbluestein, for beating me to it - but I'm posting this anyway... :lol)

np: Underworld - Pizza For Eggs (RiverRun Project)

06-15-2006 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bmwasimo
Briareos wrote:
bmwasimo wrote:
Please help I don't want hints as I read all the hints that have been written before.
Ummm... it's a bit hard to help you without giving out hints, you know? :look

Anyway, here's how to get to the invisibility potion:

After this, you'll be invisible, the top left queen will be on the southern tile of her box and the other queen will be on the arrows pointing north.

Killing the other roaches while doing the above shouldn't be much of a problem I suppose...

(Curse you, jbluestein, for beating me to it - but I'm posting this anyway... :lol)

np: Underworld - Pizza For Eggs (RiverRun Project)

I did the 5 steps and when I try to do the 8 steps I get killed by the roach on the left, sorry, well am not going to ask "Am I doing something wrong". Still need help
06-15-2006 at 07:20 PM
bmwasimo
jbluestein wrote:
bmwasimo wrote:

You should have all the information available then. But here it is, explicitly:

Hope this is explicit enough. If you need more, I can provide a demo.
Please, a demo will be grate.

:thumbsup :thumbsup
06-15-2006 at 07:24 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516

File: JtRH Seventh Level 2N start.demo (2.1 KB)
Downloaded 104 times.
License: Public Domain
bmwasimo wrote:
Please, a demo will be grate.

:thumbsup :thumbsup
Well, I'm not jbluestein, but here goes...

Still, I'm curious what one could do wrong in these first 13 steps... :unsure

By the way, make sure you don't write your answer into the quote tag, as it's hard to notice it there, and maybe trim the text you quoted down to the relevant part like I did...

np: Underworld - I'm a Big Sister, and I'm a Girl, and I'm a Princess, and this is my Horse (RiverRun Project)

06-15-2006 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : JtRH L7 2N
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com