Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Music (Listening outside of DROD contexts)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
IP: Logged
icon The Music (+1)  
I am loving the music to this "game" that everyone is talking about, but unlike the old musics, I cannot find a way to convert the songs into a format I can listen to away from the computer. Is there no way to do this? Are we not supposed to do this? Maybe it's a extra on the CD version, like one of the Incredible Machine games did? (I think it was TIM 2; it had rearranged versions of all the songs from the game that you could play on any standard CD player. A worthwhile game to buy just for that!)

If music is not intended to be enjoyed away from the game, then I will demurely stop trying, but regardless, I compliment thee, Erik, on catchiness. Well done.
04-07-2005 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: The Music (+1)  
Unless you find a way to extract the music from the Data.dat file in your directory, it looks like you are limited to recording the music through Adobe's Audition or CoolEdit or something. If you do that, you would not be able to release it to the public for sure, but recording the music or extracting the data.dat file may cause you to break an EULA, and that is never a good thing at all. If it was included on the CD, that would be uber-cool. Until we know, I'd leave it alone.

04-07-2005 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: The Music (+1)  
I'm glad you like the music so much. I always think of music composition as my weakest skill so it is nice to hear compliments.

We've got the music and graphics hidden away like that to make them harder to redistribute. I don't mind if people figure out some way to make their own personal copies in some convenient format, but I don't really want to see the files publicly available. I'm a little worried that since the source code for DROD 2 is open source, people will get confused and think all the JtRH media can be distributed as well.

-Erik

04-07-2005 at 07:01 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: The Music (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
I'm glad you like the music so much. I always think of music composition as my weakest skill so it is nice to hear compliments.
You honestly couldn't tell by the music done in the game. My personal faves currently is the ambient Deep Spaces music and the puzzle Iceworks music. The Ice one perfectly captures the feel of ice for some reason. Cudos to you, Erik!

04-07-2005 at 02:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
If the soundtrack for DROD was available for purchase, I would definitely purchase it. I'm not sure if I have any favorite tracks, but there certainly are a few that get stuck in my head and make me want to play more DROD. As if it needed to be more addictive.

So Erik, of all your many talents, it is evident that music-making is one of them. Huzzah!
04-08-2005 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Abbyzzmal wrote:
If the soundtrack for DROD was available for purchase, I would definitely purchase it.
Actually, that'd be an interesting product to put on the DROD store - the music from JtRH and selected AE edition music. I'd definitly buy it, as the music has always been a very high part in a DROD experience.

For a bit of off-topicness, will you be adding some JtRH-esque products to the DROD store at any point in time?

04-08-2005 at 02:53 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
For a bit of off-topicness, will you be adding some JtRH-esque products to the DROD store at any point in time?
No time soon. There's too many other things to do right now.

-Erik

04-08-2005 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
Care to elaborate?
04-10-2005 at 11:36 PM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
I think that 15/4 comes into it somewhere, but I have my own ideas about what is happening then. :glasses
04-11-2005 at 10:09 AM
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
ErikH2000 wrote:

-Erik

Hey, the music definitely sounds like that of a professional. My favorites are the Iceworks themes. I love one in particular...I think its the attack theme. And second would be the ambience that seems to fit right into a cold place.

You know, I've always been interested in music composition, but I wonder how I'd go about getting started...I'm also studying CIP 3, computer programming. I'd still like to compose a lot of music, which I seem to be good at doing in my head.

Great work!

:thumbsup

04-13-2005 at 03:45 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Music (Listening outside of DROD contexts)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com