Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Nasty Poll Bug
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Nasty Poll Bug (0)  
When I was creating the poll for this month's contest, I got annoyed very easily by the fact that the commands after "message.php" would get erased every time I either added a question or changed the poll type to "Rating". I ended up copying-pasting, but I wish it would have automatically kept it everytime that happened.

I made the poll on Firefox, if'n that helps.

03-24-2005 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5416
icon Re: Nasty Poll Bug (0)  
Did anything stop working because those variables weren't there? If so, there's a problem, but I really don't think there's a bug here. Every time you change poll type or add a question, you're basically submitting a form, and the variables that were after message.php (GET variables) are changed to be in hidden form fields (POST variables).

03-25-2005 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Everytime I would try to add a question when the variables weren't there, I would get "ERROR: BoardID not specified" and it wouldn't let me continue. So yes, the fact that the variables were missing made it impossible to continue, forcing me to have to paste them onto the URL to work.

03-25-2005 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
I'll change the status to "Can not reproduce" then, because I can't. It seems to work just fine for me, unless I misunderstand the problem.

To make sure I'm clear on this:

If you click "New Poll", then click "Add Question", it will break right at that point? The really weird thing is that pasting those variables back into the URL (and presumably hitting Enter to make it GO to that page) should lose all of the POST data that's accumulated - i.e. it should remove all of the polls you've entered.

Is anyone else able to reproduce this?

Edit: I logged into a non-admin account to see if that made any difference, and it didn't.

[Edited by Schik at Local Time:03-25-2005 at 03:07 PM]

03-25-2005 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
I tried it again in IE, and it still does that for me. I also found that changing a poll type from "Single Selection" to anything else breaks it as well.

As for pasting the variables in, that would make sense, but all my data was kept intact after submitting information with the pasted variables. Weird. I'll try on another computer if I get the chance.

03-25-2005 at 03:57 PM
Schik
I was going to ask if you'd recently installed any Firefox extensions, but if it breaks in IE as well, that's not it.

Ummm... Have you recently installed any Norton products, or any "privacy" products? One that perhaps strips out hidden fields in forms or something weird like that? That would break a whole lot of websites though. I don't know. I guess I'm stumped.

03-25-2005 at 04:58 PM
gamer_extreme_101
The only thing that I've installed recently is Nero and a new version of MSN Messenger, but I don't think that would affect it.

Edit: Hmm...after previewing the post, the variables were gone, but it posted fine. That leaves me to think that we can isolate the variable thing to polls.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:03-25-2005 at 05:54 PM]

03-25-2005 at 05:52 PM
Schik
It appears that this issue has resolved itself, so I'll file this one in the "something screwy that happened to gamer's computer, but it's fixed now" folder.

03-25-2005 at 07:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Nasty Poll Bug
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com