Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Windows vs. Linux (Which should I choose)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon Windows vs. Linux (0)  
At work, we are getting new machines. I have just been hired as a Software Engineer for my company and they are going to want to know if I want to develop on a Windows machine or a Linux machine.
Any thoughs?

03-18-2005 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Windows vs. Linux (+1)  
bradwall wrote:
At work, we are getting new machines. I have just been hired as a Software Engineer for my company and they are going to want to know if I want to develop on a Windows machine or a Linux machine.
Any thoughs?
Well, it depends?

If I were you, I would ask the questions:
1) What are you good in? Is what you are good in dependent on which machine you work on? Or do you want to learn something new?
2) What do they normally use?
3) What kind of product do they make? Is that tied to one of the machines?
4) Are you better in Windows or Linux?
5) Which version of Windows or Linux will be installed on that computer?
6) What are you supposed to make?

7) Oh, and what kind of tools do they/you use?

I hope you can make a better decision when you answered the questions, if not, just ask.

I think, you should use the machine that suits your needs and your abilities the most.

-- Tim

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:03-18-2005 at 11:05 PM: spelling]

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:03-18-2005 at 11:09 PM]

03-18-2005 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Windows vs. Linux (+1)  
Whenever anyone asks me that question, I tend to say whatever I'm actually thinking at the time. I've been modded down for that before.

My suggestion, though, would be to look at what everyone else is looking to get, and if it's an eclectic mix, pick the one you feel you'll be most productive in. If you can't use Linux, pick Windows. If you're unsteady in Windows, pick Linux. (If you're wobbly in both, I'm curious to know how you got the job.)

Seeing as everyone's getting new computers, you're going to want a standard OS to make it easy to share files around. There's some minor technical issues with using text files in Linux and Windows (assuming the same hardware) but you have to take into account when people want to do something more advanced, like a Word file or a compiled program or something.

Linux is overall better for development, but if you've never used Linux, you'll spend time learning how to use your computer that you could have used to be productive on Windows. As you've just started, it's important to be seen to be doing good work so the company fels comfortable in hiring you.

Matt

03-18-2005 at 11:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
icon Re: Windows vs. Linux (0)  
I've used both. Since I have windows at home, I am better at it than linux. The software we develop is all J2EE, Java, HTML, Javascript, Servlets, JSP, etc... so, I can use either platform for any of those. I guess that I am a little worried about saying... "Yeah... I'm going Linux." And then find that I want to download tools that are only available in windows.
I am not concerned about learning curve... I catch on to technical things very quickly. So, any Linux stuff that I don't know now will be very easy for me. It just comes down to... how much better and/or more stable is Linux than Windows??? Do I really want to take the risk of not being able to use some programs that I can download from the web just to have that stability that Linux gives me?

03-19-2005 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
What about dual-boot?
Are you allowed to have both Linux and Windows on your machine?

03-19-2005 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Windows vs. Linux (+4)  
As a user of both (And an installer of Gentoo, which itself was a quite tedious task), I can share a bit of my wisdom on the matter.

Truth be told, unlike all the rumors floating around in the technology world, a Linux box can perform essentially any task a Windows box can. However, there are a lot of reasons that can sway you either way.

Windows will always have Microsoft's power behind it. The vast majority of all program will at one point be ported to Windows. Even the large majority of Linux apps have a Win32 version or an equivalent of it. Chalk one point up for Windows.

Linux, however, has a more stable platform. In all the times I fiddled with a Linux machine, I have only made it crash once, but that was because I was compiling a large packages and a heat issue struck it. If you plan on running the thing 24/7 and coding large amounts at a time, Linux will save a lot of worry about wondering when it will crash. Linux ties it up.

Windows has an easier install process. Yes, you can buy a user-friendly distro such as Debian or Mandrake (There are more), but they do ultimatly require a lot of configuration to get the graphical environment up and running, configuring the kernal, and configuring X and a whole bunch of other text files can be a real PITA. With Windows, you select a couple options, leave for 45 minutes, select a couple more options, and you're pretty much good to go aside from driver updates. 2-1 for Windows.

However, Linux strikes back with a cleaner platform. The amount of viruses and other crapware hitting a Linux box are low, and that could be important when a Windows network gets struck down by a simple trojan or worm. My dad had that happen at his work: A virus hit one computer, infected the network, but the three RedHat boxes on the network were still happily running. Linux ties it up.

As Matt mentioned, hardware support can be iffy on Linux. Most notable, I had problems with an Audigy soundcard and a D-Link network card. Windows does all the dirty work for you, and all hardware made is made to work on Windows. 3-2.

Linux does have something that Windows will never have - a good learning experience to how an OS works and a better understanding of how your computer works. As a Software Engineer, that could come in very handy when porting apps and even creating them.

Well, looks like a draw, doesn't it? It all comes down to the stability versus the common and the known solution. Remember that Linux does have a Windows emulator (WINE) and an emulator that can be used on some DirectX Windows programs (Cedaga, I think). If you want to jump in as soon as you can, I would probably go with Windows simply because you are used to it.

Also remember that you can dual-boot Windows and Linux together happily. Pick a distro(version) that has a graphical installer and will do the majority of the work for you. Debian is nice in the fact it will handle dependencies(Programs/libraries that are required for a program to run) for you by downloading and installing them from the internet. It will take a lot of the confusement out of Linux. For more information on installing/dual booting, look on the distro's main site. They'll have a handbook up to help you through the process and let you understand how it works.

If you want to dual boot Linux with a NTFS Windows partition, I highly reccomend that you create a seperate FAT32 partition, as Linux can only safely read from NTFS, and writing is iffy at best.

*Phew* That was a long speech. Just remember that whatever you choose isn't 100% permanent. It isn't that hard to install another OS alongside the one you are using right now and go back and forth between coding and installing.

-Patrick, who's hands are very sore right now.

03-19-2005 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
Thanks for all of the info, everyone.
I gave points to all of you for your suggestions.
Still undecided, but I still have a few days to decide.
Thanks again, and sorry that your hand hurts, Patrick... good info, though.

03-19-2005 at 12:50 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Some more info.

If you're going towards Debian, take a closer look at Sarge (now testing, soon to be promoted to unstable). Woody I'm using (stable) is getting outdated.

Linux is very customizable, and no distro choice is final. It all depends on packages you choose later, and the way you configure them. I must say I like Debian's apt-get / dselect, which makes the process less confusing.

There are (windows)programs which allow you to copy files from linux partitions to NTFS. One of them is explore2fs. By the way, default ext2 partition has no journaling, so you'd want to change it to ext3 or reiserfs after install. And don't forget to check Samba.

Another piece of hardware which doesn't work very well under linux is AC97 on via chipset, my previous sound card. Basically you don't want to buy any hardware before checking usenet.

I agree with what Patrick said - installing Linux changed the way I perceive computers in general. And you get some badass commandline tools :-). Emacs isn't bad either, althrough I have to admit I don't know what windows equivalent is capable of.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
03-19-2005 at 05:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Windows vs. Linux (Which should I choose)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com