Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : PUZZLER for testing (DROD-type game for testing)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1908
IP: Logged

File: PUZZLERPACK.EXE (527.6 KB)
Downloaded 1922 times.
License: Other
icon PUZZLER for testing (+6)  
I am making a freeware logic/puzzle game named PUZZLER. I would love it if anyone can check it out and give me feedback on:
If you get it to run
Bugs
Room problems
Feature requests
Whatever

To run the game:
Download PUZZLERPACK.EXE
Run PUZZLERPACK.EXE and files will self extract
Run PUZZLER.EXE

If you have problems, make sure you have:
Windows XP
Directx (download from Microsoft for free)
.NET FRAMEWORK runtime (download from Microsoft for free)

[Edited by larrymurk at Local Time:03-17-2005 at 12:05 AM: DOWNLOAD latest version here!]

[Edited by larrymurk at Local Time:03-18-2005 at 02:16 PM]
03-16-2005 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: PUZZLER for testing (0)  
0x24c (588) Thread 0x57c (1404) is bugged. I have

Win 2000 SP4
Direct X 9c
.NET Framework installed (that one that came with Visual Studio .Net)
03-16-2005 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Maybe the Windows 2000 is the problem. I hope that's the problem. I only have a Windows XP test environment so I can not be sure if that is the problem.

Can anyone else get it to run or not?
03-16-2005 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
I get a System.IO.FileLoadException.

I have all the things you listed as requirements.

03-16-2005 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I have Windows XP, Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 and DirectX 9.0c
When I try to run the executable I get "Application has generated an exception that could not be handled."

03-16-2005 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Ok, I just put in an error displayer. Maybe you can retry this version and see what error msg is displayed.
03-16-2005 at 09:00 PM
Maurog
Sure, here you go:
"PUZZLER ERROR: The located assembly's manifest definition with name 'Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound' does not match the assembly reference."

03-16-2005 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
icon Re: PUZZLER for testing FIXED? (+1)  
FIXED I think..

Try this!!
03-16-2005 at 09:16 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Yep, that fixed it. Yay!

Feature request #1: Windowed mode!

I don't have any comments on the game itself yet - need to actually play it a bit first. :)

03-16-2005 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Didn't fix it for me :( Same error as Maurog's but DirectDraw instead of DirectSound... What to do? Something wrong with my DirectX or something?
03-16-2005 at 09:26 PM
larrymurk
It seems my computer is using all different dlls

Try downloading and copying this .dll doom
03-16-2005 at 09:40 PM
Doom
Heh, this is becoming fun! Now it complains about my microsoft.directx.dll :) It seems that I need another versions of all dll files.
03-16-2005 at 09:43 PM
larrymurk
ok, what about this directx.dll Henri?
03-16-2005 at 09:48 PM
larrymurk
icon Re: PUZZLER for testing OK NOW? (+1)  
I think we figured out the .dll thing.. maybe.
Try downloading the latest and see if it runs.

It seems that just getting this running has become quite a "game".

Also, the latest version will be kept at the top of the thread now that I know how.
03-17-2005 at 12:10 AM
Doom
Woo, it works now. I'll say more about it after few days. (Stupid biology test)
03-17-2005 at 05:21 AM
Maurog
icon Re: PUZZLER for testing (+1)  
Yeah it works for me now too. Too early to say anything about it yet, but my first impression is - "OMG, it has Sokoban blocks AND rayguns!"

03-17-2005 at 06:40 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Nice puzzle game. I got to the second non tutorial level so far.... I especially like the different mimic robots.
03-17-2005 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I can't run this one either... :~(

It seems that my 3-year-old PC is too old for DirectX9... (I use Directx 7 now, and I've had one too many problems with any later versions...)

Any chance to make it workable for a bit older PC's?

-- Tim

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:03-17-2005 at 11:53 PM]

03-17-2005 at 11:23 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
It works happily on my 450. The only problem I had with it was a 4 second delay after I clicked any menu option.

03-18-2005 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
icon Re: PUZZLER for testing (+1)  
I messed some with the editor and propably corrupted the original level set somehow. Reinstalling fixed it. The puzzler.pzl was in the right directory but it didn't show in the level pack list.

There's a bug with the speed shoes. (I'm sure that Mr.Zippy (18) isn't supposed to be completed in 36 moves.)
You can walk endlessly over water and lava by selecting the shoes again over the water/lava. If it's intended to be like that there are many useless teleports in the room... I don't believe they're red herrings. Although I have no idea what to after getting the raygun without doing that trick.
03-18-2005 at 11:52 AM
larrymurk
icon Re: PUZZLER for testing: UPDATE (0)  
Henri,
You are absolutely right. I only checked the surface when you walk onto it. It is now fixed. As for finishing that level, I allow you to grab objects (like ray guns) without moving onto the spot.

I put the updated program at the top of the thread.

Note that it would be good to NOT overwrite your puzzler room pack file (PUZZLER.PZL) as that holds the rooms and your progress. At some point people can simply send me their PUZZLER.PZL file so that I can view their solutions.

Fine catch Henri.
03-18-2005 at 02:24 PM
larrymurk
Tim wrote:
I can't run this one either... :~(

It seems that my 3-year-old PC is too old for DirectX9... (I use Directx 7 now, and I've had one too many problems with any later versions...)

Any chance to make it workable for a bit older PC's?

-- Tim

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:03-17-2005 at 11:53 PM]

I'm interested in making sure the game works properly as is first, but I hope to make the code open source. So if you have Visual Basic you might be able to compile a version eventually.

I tried to make things as modable as possible.
.BMP- Pictures
.MID- Music
.WAV- Sounds
.PZL- Rooms can be edited using editor inside game
03-19-2005 at 01:18 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
larrymurk wrote:
I tried to make things as modable as possible.
.BMP- Pictures
.MID- Music
.WAV- Sounds
.PZL- Rooms can be edited using editor inside game
Aha! You reminded me about the music. Is the first track by Bjorn Lynne?? I recognize it as it was used in the BiS modification for DROD.

03-19-2005 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Yup,all the music is by Bjorn Lynne. I made a 30-40 minute loop of about 10 of his songs.
03-19-2005 at 03:36 PM
larrymurk
icon Re: PUZZLER for testing, rooms ok? (0)  
Did anyone find any mistakes/shortcuts in the rooms I designed?

If so, please email me your PUZZLER.PZL file as it holds the rooms and your solutions.

Any other comments, anyone?

03-25-2005 at 07:39 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : PUZZLER for testing (DROD-type game for testing)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com