Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Starwars (Thoughts on the new trailer of Episode III.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon Starwars (+2)  
I just have to say that it is totally awesome. I am a big starwars fan, so I am totally excited for the new movie coming out. I am not a freak... I don't dress up as Darth Maul or anything like that. But, I will definately see it on opening day.

Palpatine it going to be totally cool in this episode.

Any thoughts on the new trailer (can be downloaded at www.starwars.com)?

03-16-2005 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Starwars (+1)  
Well, I definitely felt let down by Episodes 1 and 2. But I still plan on seeing Episode 3 in the theaters, since I want to get the full experience for the special effects. From what I've seen and read, it should be better than 1 and 2 but...I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas still screws it up.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-16-2005 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Starwars (+2)  
I am not a freak... I don't dress up as Darth Maul or anything like that.

I graduated from college in 1999, 1 week before Episode 1 premiered. My roommate, at the time, was a huge Star Wars fan (and that's saying something since I'm a pretty big SW fan myself), and loved dressing up in costume (Halloween that year was hysterical....). So we put together a Darth Maul costume for him to wear. We're talking shaved head, black and red body paint, clay horns, lightsaber... He looked awesome. And so he decided that he was going to wear the costume to graduation. When he walked across the stage (in a black robe, no less), the whole ceremony stopped for 2 minutes while people took pictures and laughed and cheered.

03-16-2005 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
The odd thing about Star Wars is that no matter how bad the new movies are, they are still kind of good. The whole mythology is ingrained into my head, so that if I see some dude waving a flashlight around I'm automatically interested. It's like they could put any kind of waste up there and I'd still go to watch it.

Bad parts of the Star Wars movies:
* Star Wars 4 - Nothing wrong with it, except in the new version they tacked on the irrelevant music number.
* Star Wars 5 - Nothing wrong with it.
* Star Wars 6 - Fracking Ewoks.
* Star Wars 1 - Jar Jar Binks, of course. Floating chicken thing also very stupid.
* Star Wars 2 - Annakin as a hormone-addled, loud-mouthed teenager.
* Star Wars 3 - ???

When they make more Matrix movies, it will be the same way. I'll have to watch them, no matter how bad they are.

-Erik

03-16-2005 at 07:26 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Starwars (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Bad parts of the Star Wars movies:
* Star Wars 4 - Nothing wrong with it, except in the new version they tacked on the irrelevant music number.

Don't forget that in the original, Han shoots first!

* Star Wars 5 - Nothing wrong with it.

Agreed. When I was a kid I thought it was the most boring...now I think it might be my most favorite.

* Star Wars 6 - Fracking Ewoks.

I saw Jedi first when I was only 7, so I really didn't mind the Ewoks at all. Hell, I even liked those two Ewok spin-off movies that were made in the 80's. I still don't hate them, actually.

* Star Wars 1 - Jar Jar Binks, of course. Floating chicken thing also very stupid.

I didn't like Jar Jar either, but then I remember that I liked the Ewoks. I think a lot of people just have happy memories of Star Wars as a kid and forget that they've grown up since then.

On the other hand, Phantom Menace really isn't that good of a movie. Whoop-de-doo, a freaking trade embargo.

* Star Wars 2 - Annakin as a hormone-addled, loud-mouthed teenager.

Agreed. Some of the worst acting I've ever seen. The only Star Wars movie I've only seen once, as well. I haven't even borrowed my Dad's copy just to forward to the halfway decent fight scenes.

When they make more Matrix movies, it will be the same way. I'll have to watch them, no matter how bad they are.

For the record, I hated the first Matrix movie and refused to see the sequels. Sci-fi movie sequel self-control for the win! :D

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-16-2005 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Oneiromancer wrote:
Agreed. When I was a kid I thought it was the most boring...now I think it might be my most favorite.
I remember walking out of that theater (what was I? 11?) with a sad lump in my gut and my head whirling. Luke Skywalker was defeated--no way! The bad guy is Luke's father? Han Solo betrayed and frozen up?!? (Oh no! I just gave away the ending to everybody!) I was so used to happy endings in movies that it really blew me away. I really brooded over Empire Strikes Back for a few days.
I saw Jedi first when I was only 7, so I really didn't mind the Ewoks at all. Hell, I even liked those two Ewok spin-off movies that were made in the 80's. I still don't hate them, actually.
Yeah, I liked Ewoks when I was young, and now they seem pretty cheesey. Let's just say the Ewoks don't age well for me.

-Erik

03-16-2005 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant

Well, on the topic of the new versions what about:
Greedo fires first?!?
Han Solo stepping on Jabba's tail?!? (not to mention the dialogue from that scene was EXACTLY the same as the dialogue that Han has with Greedo)

03-16-2005 at 08:51 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Starwars (0)  
For what it's worth, in the DVD box set of Star Wars 4-6, Hans once again shoots first.

03-16-2005 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
I saw episode 4, and vowed never to watch another StarWars movie again. Not my style. Sci-fi is all well and good, but there's this thing about politics and government and war (even in minute amounts) in movies that just turns me off completely.

I did; however, see episode 1 during high school because there was nothing left to do on those last few days of class. I don't remember a whole lot of it, but I remember turning up from my doodles to watch a racing scene that was kinda cool.

Oh, and when I was born, my sister-in-law said I resembled Yoda. What a thing to say about a newborn in front of an exhausted mother. :P
03-16-2005 at 10:42 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
They showed the version of Star Wars on the TV here where Greebo shoots first. It looked out-of-place, and just didn't work as well as Han shooting first. I don't know why Lucas changed it.

Matt

03-17-2005 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
stigant wrote:
(not to mention the dialogue from that scene was EXACTLY the same as the dialogue that Han has with Greedo)

The walking over Jabba's tail was a little weird, but the fact that he talked to Han Solo was in the actual book of Star wars... I actually like the scene.
03-17-2005 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Schik wrote:
For what it's worth, in the DVD box set of Star Wars 4-6, Hans once again shoots first.

In the DVD, you are right that Han does shoot first... but, the shots are much more close together; almost simultaneous. It makes it seem more that Han knew that he was going to shoot, so he shoots just before him. I do agree, however, that it seems to be more in Han's character to just kill Greedo than to protect his life by shooting first. Either way, I still don't mind it. It just isn't that big of a deal to me. Either way, Han is still one of my all-time favorite characters of the Starwars Saga.
03-17-2005 at 04:27 PM
stigant
bradwall wrote:
stigant wrote:
(not to mention the dialogue from that scene was EXACTLY the same as the dialogue that Han has with Greedo)

The walking over Jabba's tail was a little weird, but the fact that he talked to Han Solo was in the actual book of Star wars... I actually like the scene.

Well, the book is based on the movie...

And there's nothing wrong with the scene itself (other than that little CGI glitch). But taken in the context of Han's conversation with Greedo, it seems a little odd to repeat the dialogue, line for line. Also, considering the bit about "Jabba's put a price on your head so high, every bounty hunter in the galaxy is going to be looking for you," and the fact that Han just shot one of Jabba's favorite smugglers, it seems a bit odd that Jabba was willing to just take Han's word that he was coming right back after collecting the money for the trip to Alderan. If anything, it sounded like Jabba was past trying collect Han's debts and well on the way to physical pain.

03-17-2005 at 05:10 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
The original unincluded scene had a human Jabba. The scene wasn't liked for whatever reason and so some of the conversation was moved to the Greedo scene.

When they did the remastered/special edition, they pasted a CGI Jabba over the human one. The only trouble was that Han walked directly behind Jabba, so they needed some way of making it not look like he was walking through Jabba's tail.
03-18-2005 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jdyer
Rank Points: 329
I never minded Ewoks much. I think this is due to them coming near to eating the heroes. It made me think of them as 'cute but somewhat evil' rather than just 'cute'.

[Edited by jdyer at Local Time:03-18-2005 at 07:06 AM]
03-18-2005 at 07:05 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Starwars (Thoughts on the new trailer of Episode III.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com