Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug?: Brains send roaches to invisible Beethro
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
IP: Logged
icon Bug?: Brains send roaches to invisible Beethro (0)  
I don't remember the rules of invisibility and brains that were posted somewhere, not sure if this is a bug:

1. put a brain, an invisibility potion, and slew of monsters down.
2. Playtest -- get the potion... monsters still come for you even if they are outside the 5-square distance.
06-20-2003 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Bug?: Brains send roaches to invisible Beethro (0)  
Yes, brains aren't fooled by invisibility.

(Heh heh)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-20-2003 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'm not sure that's the best of ideas. If brains are not fooled by invisibility, then basically invisibility potions are rather useless in rooms with brains. The one puzzle that can grow out of this is "kill all the brains before using the potion" - but beacuse of space limitations, there probably are very few interesting ways to implement this puzzle. Anywhere else, putting a brain in the room means no invsibility potion.

On the other hand, if brains were fooled by invisibility, you could create many puzzles designed to utilize invisibility potions to tactical advantage. That would make an existing game element a whole lot more intersting. There are several different ways of implementing thid, as was discussed before, but practically all of them are more interesting than making brains immune to invisibility.

06-20-2003 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
What I would suggest is that the brain does nothing when Beethro is invisible until the brain enters the 5-square "smell" zone. This will then waken the brain and send all the monsters after Beethro.

"Oook!"
06-20-2003 at 08:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I agree, the brain is just really smart, not completely psychic. If a room has brains and invisibility potions in it, design it so that Beethro has to go by the brains every so often. I actually think this could open up some very interesting new puzzles.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-20-2003 at 06:09 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Bug?: Brains send roaches to invisible Beethro (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
I agree, the brain is just really smart, not completely psychic. If a room has brains and invisibility potions in it, design it so that Beethro has to go by the brains every so often. I actually think this could open up some very interesting new puzzles.
I'm seeing that. It looks fun. I think we should do it!

Mike is probably tearing his hair out over my inconsistency. While normally I wouldn't want to add the feature in the middle of beta, this one sounds pretty easy to add, and it better to have it now while no rooms have been created that rely on the current omniscient behaviour of the brain.

So I added it to the database. But low priority. If it turns out to be hard thing or is likely to introduce new bugs, I think we should leave it alone.

-Erik

06-20-2003 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Well, you know I'm always one for putting a feature in sooner rather than later, especially if it will affect everything that gets designed down the road. I'll see what I can do!

06-20-2003 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Okay, it'll be in build 21. And it *is* pretty cool.

06-20-2003 at 11:05 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug?: Brains send roaches to invisible Beethro
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com