Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Artists?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Artists? (0)  
Does anybody draw, paint, or make art in some other form? It would be cool to see stuff that people have made, even if it\'s just little doodles. If anyone is interested in showing what they\'ve done, and has some way of getting it into a .JPG or .GIF, how about we have a little mini-showing here?

If you\'ve already got the image online someplace, you can post an URL. If you\'ve just got image files, e-mail them to me (erikh2000@yahoo.com), and I\'ll make it so that you can include them in message posts.

Or maybe the idea is just a dud, if so then never mind.

-Erik

02-11-2003 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Artists? (0)  
I love to ray-trace stuff. I\'m not that good at it yet, but you can get the last little animation I made here.

Edit: Guess I should warn for people on slow connections - it\'s just under 1 megabyte.

[Edited by Schik on 02-11-2003 at 03:44 PM GMT]

02-11-2003 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
That\'s pretty good. What\'s ray-tracing though?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
02-12-2003 at 01:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Thanks. It\'s a very simple animation, but a fun one.

A raytracer is basically a program that takes a description of a \"scene\" and creates an image of that scene.

The raytracer I use is another open source program, POVRay. You can read about it at www.povray.org - there are some extremely good images there, far and beyond anything I can make (so far).

02-12-2003 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Aww man, Clayton didn\'t show any of his stuff. Weenie.

-Erik

02-18-2003 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Hell, if nobody else is going to post anything, HERE is a pic made with POVRay. It\'s not DROD-related except for the letters on the blocks.

Sorry if this is off-topic, it\'s the closest thing to art that I can create. I\'ve tried drawing stuff by hand - It\'s not pretty.

02-18-2003 at 08:30 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Artists? (0)  
Schik wrote:
Hell, if nobody else is going to post anything, HERE is a pic made with POVRay. It\'s not DROD-related except for the letters on the blocks.
Wow.

It looks very precarious. Did you break any of the glass cubes when you were stacking them?

-Erik

02-18-2003 at 10:21 PM
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: Artists? (0)  
erikh2000 wrote:
It looks very precarious. Did you break any of the glass cubes when you were stacking them?
I was worried about that, so I made them out of plexiglass.

02-18-2003 at 10:44 PM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Wow, I just checked out POVRay. It looks extremelly complicated, but I\'ll try to figure it out anyway. I like to try to make 3d graphics and things like that with other programs (I say \"try\" because I have no artistic talent whatsoever). I have some programming experience, which I hope will help me with POVRay. Any advice from a grizzled vetern such as yourself?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
02-19-2003 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
I\'m not that grizzled. In fact, that image I posted is simply a modification of a scene that comes with POVRay. The avi file was all mine however.

I\'d suggest playing around with the sample scene files to start. If nothing else, render them and try to find something that catches your eye, then start modifying it.

If you like programming, look in scenes\\advanced\\blocks - that\'s where my DROD blocks came from. It basically defines a block, then uses a macro (which looks a lot like programming) to place them all. Powerful stuff.

Also, check out news://news.povray.org/ http://www.povray.org/resources/newsgroups/ if you don\'t have a news reader) - there\'s a newsgroup for beginners, one for posting POV images, another for scene files, etc.

Have fun...

02-19-2003 at 03:19 AM
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
Here is a link that has just a few of my graphics that I created. These are not my best pictures and videos, but they are ok.

http://www.now3d.it/Users%20Galleries/Users/Brad%20Wall/Brad%20Wall.htm

http://www.now3d.it/Users%20Galleries/Users/Brad%20Wall/Ani/Brad%20Wall.htm

04-30-2003 at 03:47 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Artists?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com