Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The big secret?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
IP: Logged
icon The big secret? (+3)  
So I'm relatively new both to DROD and its forum. After completing Dugan's Dungeon and still craving more, I downloaded a couple more holds recommended by friends. But partway into each, I stumbled across something interesting. The similarity (and the holds in question have different authors) convinced me something strange and sinister is going on. No doubt whatever it is, is broader than the signs I've discovered.

Those who know something about it will certainly know exactly what I mean by now, and to say any more in public would be too spoilery. But just to prove I know what I'm talking about:
Click here to view the secret text

Could any other students of this mystery recommend a tome on the subject or the obscure oracles of the wise? I'm afraid my small attempt at searching the forum didn't turn up anything obvious.

And if I already know too much, remember, my real name is Dimwit Flathead.

03-07-2005 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: The big secret? (0)  
schep wrote:
So I'm relatively new both to DROD and its forum. After completing Dugan's Dungeon and still craving more, I downloaded a couple more holds recommended by friends. But partway into each, I stumbled across something interesting. The similarity (and the holds in question have different authors) convinced me something strange and sinister is going on. No doubt whatever it is, is broader than the signs I've discovered.

Those who know something about it will certainly know exactly what I mean by now, and to say any more in public would be too spoilery. But just to prove I know what I'm talking about:
Click here to view the secret text

Could any other students of this mystery recommend a tome on the subject or the obscure oracles of the wise? I'm afraid my small attempt at searching the forum didn't turn up anything obvious.

And if I already know too much, remember, my real name is Dimwit Flathead.

I slowly feel unsure about that place here..... :-O

In the Quiet Place on level 5 thirce West there is no room (I looked it up in the hints map database....) Also there is no room at Bravatos Dungeon L7 1S. Please post room pics !

(Am I just dumb or have you done some typing errors ?)

Anyway what do you want to say with similarity of rooms ? That the game needs new elements ? That the Agaricus and the maker of the quiet place are the same or helped each other makeing their holds ?

[Edited by MeckMeck GRE at Local Time:03-07-2005 at 03:44 PM]
03-07-2005 at 03:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
In the Quiet Place on level 5 thirce West there is no room (I looked it up in the hints map database....) Also there is no room at Bravatos Dungeon L7 1S. Please post room pics !
It's possible to hide room images in the hints map database, used in general for secret rooms.

03-07-2005 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Thanks, Schik. Could anyone post a pic of these two rooms ? I want to know whats going on...

@Sheep : Sorry. I dont understand what you mean. See my post above...

[Edited by MeckMeck GRE at Local Time:03-07-2005 at 03:59 PM]
03-07-2005 at 03:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: The big secret? (+1)  
There's actually three ;)
03-07-2005 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE

File: ceux.jpg (125.8 KB)
Downloaded 273 times.
License: Other
Are you talking about following symbol :

(Attatched). I dunno what it means.......

maybe somethign like : "When you are reading this you are dumb" Or it is a symbol of the eight.

[Edited by MeckMeck GRE at Local Time:03-07-2005 at 04:26 PM]
03-07-2005 at 04:12 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well spotted :)

As to what it means - well, you'll have to wait and see...

03-07-2005 at 04:20 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
In other words, something to do with JtRH.

-_-
03-08-2005 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Carefully studying the image, I came to the conclusion it means something on the lines of:
"Help! Help! I almost finished building this hold when I realised my master key is lost, and I cannot get out! Send a group of hefty men with pickaxes to dig me out, and I will pay you generously! Hurry!"

03-08-2005 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Yeah, we forgot to put that room into King Dugan's. Don't worry, we've corrected this for JtRH.

(I was wondering if someone would notice before release.)

Matt

03-09-2005 at 06:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
The position of the eye might be significant.
03-09-2005 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
I bet it's the symbol of the Architects Guild or whatever.
03-09-2005 at 05:38 PM
Doom
wackhead_uk wrote:
The position of the eye might be significant.
There's actually not an eye in the room. Or in the other two rooms.
03-09-2005 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
icon Re: The big secret? (+2)  
That doesn't make it any less significant.
It's probably some kind of Zen - "The eye that isn't there shows a way to the place without location".

03-09-2005 at 06:45 PM
Maurog
Although on the same line of thought, applying Occam's Razor to the problem at hand reveals that the probability of MeckMeck using a weird tileset in which Beethro is replaced by an eye, and his sword by a "line of sight" is much higher than the probability of the eye position revealing us the secrets of the Universe.

03-09-2005 at 08:42 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
On a long enough timeline, the probability that someone is just photoshopping screen caps is nearly equal to 1.

[Edited by silver at Local Time:03-10-2005 at 08:37 AM]

03-10-2005 at 08:36 AM
MeckMeck GRE
There was no editing (expect compressing the file size in jpg) ! I always disliked to kill those poor eyeballs. For that I replaced Beethro with an eye and the the floating eyes with golden roaches.
03-10-2005 at 01:07 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
It's not a Photoshopped image, silver. At least, I have no reason to believe it to be.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-10-2005 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
I'm pretty sure there's some sort of manipulation given the eyebeam.

03-10-2005 at 08:04 PM
Oneiromancer
Ah...you know, I only looked at the symbol built out of the walls...I wasn't even thinking about the eye and its beam. Sorry, I was in a hurry when posting and I should have been more specific.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer at Local Time:03-10-2005 at 08:38 PM]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-10-2005 at 08:37 PM
Doom
Eytanz and Oneiromancer, did you read what Meckmeck GRE and Maurog said?
That eyeball is Beethro.
It's not a photoshopped image.
03-11-2005 at 05:47 AM
Oneiromancer
I have trouble understanding what MeckMeck says at the best of times...in any case like I said, I didn't even really pay attention to the eyeball, I assumed all the fuss was about the diagram built out of walls which is the same in both the rooms mentioned in the original post.

Since MeckMeck specifically says:

I always disliked to kill those poor eyeballs. For that I replaced Beethro with an eye and the the floating eyes with golden roaches.

I assume what he did was to change the tileset around to make Beethro look like an eyeball, and his sword to look like some "beam". Thus, the image was not photoshopped, and again, the brunt of the discussion was meant to be about the design on the ground.

Game on,

03-11-2005 at 04:27 PM
eytanz
Doom wrote:
Eytanz and Oneiromancer, did you read what Meckmeck GRE and Maurog said?
That eyeball is Beethro.
It's not a photoshopped image.

I didn't say photoshopped, I said some manipulation. That's not an unmodified DROD screenshot.

03-12-2005 at 05:10 AM
Doom
Um... sorry, I understood what you meant but it took some time. I thought you talked about manipulating the image after taking it.
03-12-2005 at 06:26 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I meant my statement to be more general than the specific image at hand. I apologize for any confusion, but I was trying to adapt one of my favorite Fight Club quotes ("on a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero") to this situation, without actually studying all the images at hand.

I still think it is true, for any given game forum, that over time, the probability that someone starts photoshopping things instead of posting actual screenshots approaches 1. that doesn't mean it applies now. but over time...

[Edited by silver at Local Time:03-12-2005 at 08:09 AM]

03-12-2005 at 08:07 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
We've already had a photoshopped screenshot. Item: the old-to-new screenshot in the JtRH preview.

Matt

03-14-2005 at 03:37 AM
wackhead_uk
And the JtRH picture contest...
03-14-2005 at 09:24 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The big secret?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com