Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : CVS woes
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
IP: Logged
icon CVS woes (0)  
Since starting to work on the linux patches, i've had problems getting cvs to work properly. When doing anything, i usually get the message:

cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

with no messages above it, or sometimes:

cvs [update aborted]: reading from server: Connection reset by peer

This isn't just with update, it affects diff too (and probably other commands). I have updated the cvs prog to the latest version (1.11.6), deleted login information and tried again, but it still happens. Up until now i've been able to get it to work by retrying a couple of times, but it's been getting worse, and now i'm lucky if i get it to work at all.

CVS works perfectly with other non-sourceforge repositories, but i seem to have the same problem with other sourceforge repositories. I can't even login to some.

Have anyone else had this problem, and know how to fix it ? (btw, i did a little googling and found one solution would be to use ssh, but that won't work with anonymous access.)

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 06-19-2003 at 03:32 PM GMT: no messages above]
06-19-2003 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: CVS woes (0)  
I think it's just a sourceforge problem. I've been getting a lot of the same thing lately, and I'm even using ssh.

Edit: I'm actually getting the following:
cvs update: warning: unrecognized response `Remote process exit code unavailable
' from cvs server

Different, but it's still broken. I just tried to do an update and got that error 5 times, then on lucky number 6 (?) it worked.

[Edited by Schik on 06-19-2003 at 04:14 PM]

06-19-2003 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Yeah, I've been getting it on anonymous access too. Using ssh (i.e., :ext instead of :Pserver) fixes it. I'll bet their load is just getting too high? So I just keep "!!ing" the command until it finally gets through...something like auto-redial.

[Edited by mrimer on 06-19-2003 at 11:13 PM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-19-2003 at 11:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
I looked around sourceforge a bit, and they mention the cvs problems in the site status. They're running the anonymous cvs services on a backup server (24h old data) with a connection cap at the moment. They apparently upped the cap yesterday, but i haven't noticed any significant improvement. Anyway, they say it'll be fixed with new hardware in august. Until then, retry..

06-20-2003 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Woah, that's dangerous! I just did an update via the anonymous server, and because it's a day behind (or whatever) it gave me all the cvs updates as of yesterday. So it reverted all the code back to the state it was in yesterday.

I then did it using ssh and I think it restored everything back to the present state. (So don't use anonymous if you can help it.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-20-2003 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: CVS woes (0)  
mrimer wrote:
I then did it using ssh and I think it restored everything back to the present state. (So don't use anonymous if you can help it.)
Trick and Ross, I'm willing to set you guys up for SSH access if you promise not to commit any changes directly. For now, you have to send changes to us as patches like you've been doing.

If that sounds good, e-mail me and we'll work out the details.

-Erik

06-20-2003 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Sounds good :)

I'll send you a mail.
06-20-2003 at 08:24 PM
ross
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
icon Re: Re: CVS woes (0)  

Actually I'd rather not just yet. It's not that I don't want to I just need more experience of using CVS before I risk trying to commit anything :)

When I'm happy I know what I'm doing, and when I am in a position to test all my changes on Linux and Windows, then I'll email you :)
06-20-2003 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Re: CVS woes (0)  
ross wrote:

Actually I'd rather not just yet. It's not that I don't want to I just need more experience of using CVS before I risk trying to commit anything :)
Oh, I understand about that, but I was just talking about doing CVS UPDATEs anyhow. Trick's problems were with updates using anoymous access. The problems are mostly alleviated with using SSH access.

So if you have similar problems down the road, let's talk.

-Erik

06-21-2003 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ross
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: CVS woes (0)  

Erik, could you add me to the project (ross_uk) so I can do proper up-to-date updates please .... getting fed up of this connection problem now :eyes
07-01-2003 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : CVS woes
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No