Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : blades of avernum
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged

File: G501.bmp (27.3 KB)
Downloaded 132 times.
License: Other
icon blades of avernum (0)  
so I'm making a scenario for blades of avernum, but I don't want to give too much away to the BoA community, so I'm not asking them for help in testing or graphics... I'm asking you nice people, so I can surprise them :)

anyway, I seem to be lacking in the mad-photoshop graphics skills and am having troubles making a "small river flowing downhill" icon to go with my "small river" icon (which I cheated on by copying the east and west shoreline graphics onto one square. bad me). see attached image.

think you can help? I have (some) karma to give and, of course, you'd have my gratitude.

later (much later, most likely), I'll have the scenario ready for beta testing.

03-04-2005 at 07:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383

File: G501.bmp (78.9 KB)
Downloaded 139 times.
icon Re: blades of avernum (+3)  
Here's a quick try at it.

03-04-2005 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
silver
icon Re: blades of avernum (0)  
wow, if that's what ye mean by "quick try" ... well, anyway, thanks!!

so, uh, how did ye do it? I played with just making lines in the colors I wanted and using the noise filter, but it wouldn't mix the water and shore well enough for me...

03-04-2005 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
silver wrote:
so, uh, how did ye do it? I played with just making lines in the colors I wanted and using the noise filter, but it wouldn't mix the water and shore well enough for me...
I took the green out of the one with water. Then I skewed it to fit on the hill in just a straight line. Then I used the liquify filter with a brush about the width of the water to twist it a little bit, so it looked more 3D. All of that smoothed the water out too much, so I used a sharpen filter to give it the same look as the other water. It really only took a few minutes - no big deal. :)

03-04-2005 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
silver

File: hillshow.gif (7 KB)
Downloaded 118 times.
icon Re: blades of avernum (+1)  
looks like this in game

03-04-2005 at 10:51 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Don't you need sloped river graphics in the other three directions? (Not to sign up Schik for more work. :) )

-Erik

03-04-2005 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Not bad at all!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-04-2005 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Um. Not to be nitpicky, but... shouldn't there be some shading at that ?

- Gerry O:-
03-04-2005 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
well, technically, Erik, you're right - if my goal were to produce a "small river" tileset as a nice public-use release for other scenario designers, I'd need a lot more graphics than I have currently.

However, since my goal is to have some nice looking small river in my one scenario, and it turns out I need them to flow downhill in precisely two places, and really I'm only just now developing the outdoor terrain, I found it more than easy than to make sure both of those places, it was flowing from the north to south and use one graphic for both spots :)

trick: yah, it could be shaded better. It could be a better graphic, but, hey, I was asking for free handouts, and it's a frakload better than any of the feldercarp I was making, so I'll take it :) You got a better one, attach it :)

03-05-2005 at 06:15 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580

File: G501-2.png (10.1 KB)
Downloaded 130 times.
icon Re: blades of avernum (+4)  
Well, since you asked... I, uh, made a quick little edit. Tried to keep with the original style. Not sure how successful it was (the river edges are somewhat different), but it's a bit better, I think. You may have to edit the tile boundaries a bit to make them fit, though.

- Gerry

[Edited by trick at Local Time:03-06-2005 at 02:29 AM]
03-06-2005 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
I concede! You win. Very nice. :)

03-06-2005 at 03:22 AM
silver

File: NoPlaceLikeHome.zip (96.3 KB)
Downloaded 98 times.
Man, this scenario writing is hard work (well, I'm also jobhunting and playing DROD a lot, not really full-time scenario writing)... 2.5 months later all I have is the outdoors and 3 friendly towns (well 4 if you count that the main town is a 2-parter) and population in the "main town" (minus 4 "very important" characters which will take nearly as much writing as any 5 other characters combined), and a skeleton population in the other town.

Does anyone besides me have or play BoA? :)

If so, here's a really really really early "alpha" of my scenario. Man. So much work to go.

05-19-2005 at 07:00 PM
ErikH2000
silver wrote:
Does anyone besides me have or play BoA? :)
I will get there eventually. I'm just past the demo point in Avernum 3 and have taken a little break. I am a very slow player of games since I go out of my way not to spend too much time playing. Give me about 6 months and I'll be ready for Blades. And then probably another 6 months after that and I'll be ready to try out your scenario. Some time before you die, I will definitely play it. :)

-Erik

05-19-2005 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Addendum: If you want to speed up my playtime, please make another comprehensive guide to Avernum 3, like you did for A1. I suffered from the lack of online guidance for A2, and A3 has even poorer documentation. Did everybody back off so Jeff Vogel could sell his hint books? Wuttupwitdat?

-Erik

05-19-2005 at 09:03 PM
silver
As with Subterra level making, Avernum hint writing was one of the threads that fell away a couple years ago when I was clinically depressed for a long time. Dunno about other people's hint guides.

05-19-2005 at 09:08 PM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Technically, I play (and enjoy) any game made by Spiderweb Software. Does anyone one here know about Nethergate or Geneforge? Those are my favorites. :w00t

Keep posting,

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 06-23-2006 03:56 PM]
04-17-2006 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : blades of avernum
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com