Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : There is some stuff I don't get about his forum.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
IP: Logged
icon There is some stuff I don't get about his forum. (0)  
I don't know where to ask this, but I think this board is okay.

Okay, first off, why are there some topics what get stickyed, but no-one posts in them? In the forums I used to go to, all people's questions would be answered, and any interesting points would be discussed. Why don't these topics get attention?

Second, what's up with the 0 reply topics by clayton on the news board? They aren't locked, yet nobody posts in them...
02-20-2005 at 01:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: There is some stuff I don't get about his forum. (+2)  
As for the Clayton posts - they are old news posts, which were posted first to the site and then copied to the forum when the news page on the site and the forum became tied together. They were already quite old by the time they got added to the forum and no-one had anything to say about them.

As for stickied topics - topics get stickied because it's important for people to read them. Not because it's important for people to respond to them. Normally, they are relatively obvious and there isn't much point in asking too many questions. When someone does have a relevent question, it is discussed.

I don't quite get what you are comparing this forum to. Are there forums were people just end up replying to everything for the sake of replying, even if they don't have anything to say? Or are you just talking about forums were every post is a matter for discussion? The latter makes sense in pure discussion forums, but this isn't one - discussion is a big element, but it's also the official forum for DROD and there are areas in it (like news and some stickied posts) which are intended primarily for official announcements and do not always result in general discussion.

02-20-2005 at 02:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
icon Re: There is some stuff I don't get about his forum. (0)  
eytanz wrote:
As for the Clayton posts - they are old news posts, which were posted first to the site and then copied to the forum when the news page on the site and the forum became tied together. They were already quite old by the time they got added to the forum and no-one had anything to say about them.
Oh, good. For a while there, I thought everyone was mad at me. :~(
02-20-2005 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blood Maggot
Nah, i'm actually comparing this to the GameFAQs.com forums, which I went to for over a year before I discovered this one (it's thanks to those forums that I found out about this place, and downloaded the full version of DROD).

In those forums, topics are almost always answered. I'm not complaining i'm just asking.
02-20-2005 at 03:31 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Well, GameFAQS has a lot more people on its forums. So there will be someone out there, somewhere, who will reply to anything.

Matt

02-21-2005 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Also, gamefaqs is a very different kind of board in the sense that the games' boards are not official. So there are very few official announcements on them. Also, there are very few rules which are board-specific and very few community-related postings. So, almost everything on the GameFaqs forums is either a hint request, or an attempt to discuss one of the aspects of the game. Both these kinds of posts are also found here, and they almost always get replies. It's just that these forums have a lot of other kinds of posts as well and not all of them require replies at all.

02-21-2005 at 12:44 AM
Blood Maggot
Okay, thanks. :thumbsup
02-21-2005 at 08:00 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : There is some stuff I don't get about his forum.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com