Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : These crazy amounts of guests we've had lately (They're not guests, they're rude party crashers)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
IP: Logged
icon These crazy amounts of guests we've had lately (+3)  
People have mentioned this several times in various places over the last couple days, so I thought I'd just mention it here.

The inflated guest count has been because of a worm trying to spread itself to our server. It has not been successful, and none of you have any reason to worry about it - it's not designed to infect our forum.

02-09-2005 at 03:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: These crazy amounts of guests we've had lately (0)  
Are you going to roll back the "most users ever online" to something that makes more sense, or is the archival data not stored?

02-09-2005 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
I'm thinking about resetting it to zero, and changing the code to only count logged in members. Otherwise it will always be inflated by googlebots and stupid worms like this.

02-09-2005 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: These crazy amounts of guests we've had lately (+1)  
Man, and I thought it was my meticulously crafted news item designed to entice mail list recipients onto the forum. Naw, just a worm. :(

Schik did an awesome job of defending us against this worm. He spotted it quickly and researched it. Also, I have another board running on a different domain for Brittany's business that was vulnerable, and he patched it up for me. I feel very lucky to have his help!

-Erik

02-09-2005 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
...So you're saying that kittens the whole DROD-google thing is not kittens totally responsible for the kittens high guest count? Well, I think that this joke kittens has run its course now anyway.

kittens

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:02-09-2005 at 08:35 PM: Kittens]
02-09-2005 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: These crazy amounts of guests we've had lately (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Schik did an awesome job of defending us against this worm. He spotted it quickly and researched it. Also, I have another board running on a different domain for Brittany's business that was vulnerable, and he patched it up for me. I feel very lucky to have his help!
Somebody has to keep an eye out to make sure nobody decides to... oh, I don't know, take the server out for a ride on his bike. *ahem*.

02-09-2005 at 08:39 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Run its course? We haven't even gotten started yet! Don't tell me that after I just got done registering the "drodkitten.net" domain.

-Erik

02-09-2005 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
Maybe the guys were coming to see if they can find a copy of JTRH lying around.

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:02-10-2005 at 03:01 AM]

02-10-2005 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
New record: 131 "guests"
02-10-2005 at 02:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Doom wrote:
New record: 131 "guests"
Enough of this nonsense.

I've done a couple things:
- Changed it so that only registered users are counted for the "most users ever online"
- Added a check for this worm in the page they're trying to hack into (viewtopic.php) to detect them and return an empty page, and not even count them as a Guest.

02-10-2005 at 02:32 PM
Schik
And just for fun.... we've been attacked by this thing 6531 times in the last 24 hours. About once every 13 seconds.

This worm finds forums using google, and we know how google loves DROD.net.

02-10-2005 at 02:42 PM
DiMono
So what is the worm's goal in life, anyway?

02-10-2005 at 07:46 PM
Schik
DiMono wrote:
So what is the worm's goal in life, anyway?
Same as pretty much every worm - to reproduce. Google for the Santy worm and you can read about it to your heart's content.

Updated stats: We're now up to 11279 attack attempts. It's been close to 330 minutes since my last post about it, which makes it 14.4 attacks per minute since that earlier post - about one every 4 seconds.

02-10-2005 at 08:07 PM
LeForce
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
.4 of an attack?

02-15-2005 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
LeForce: 72 attacks over 5 minutes works out to roughly 14.4 attacks per minute. It's an average, not an absolute statistic.

02-16-2005 at 03:01 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
DiMono wrote:
It's an average, not an absolute statistic.
But...but...an average is an absolute statistic! :lol

Okay, time to go get some sleep now...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-16-2005 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : These crazy amounts of guests we've had lately (They're not guests, they're rude party crashers)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com