Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : About the Prize Pile. (For discussion related to the Prize Pile.)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon About the Prize Pile. (0)  
I would like to keep the Prize Pile topic so that it contains just posts that describe prizes. It's easier to read through it that way. But I'd also like to have discussion about the Prize Pile and things offered there. That's what this topic is for.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 01-09-2006 12:17 AM]
02-07-2005 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: About the Prize Pile. (0)  
DiMono wrote:
This is a really good idea. I'm sure I can come up with something to add the pile when I get home. Seems to me I have a bunch of computer gear I'll never use, I'll see what I can scrounge up.
Thanks! I heartily encourage you to donate prizes. That would be great!

Also I decided abruptly to create this new topic for any discussion about the Prize Pile. That's why I deleted your original post back over at the old topic.

-Erik

02-07-2005 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
Is the JtRH picture in the pile from the CD-cover of the game or just a random picture?
02-07-2005 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Would anyone really care if I donated a copy of MGS:2 Substance for the PC? I have two copies for some reason. I just don't want to give it to someone who doesn't want it, or who has low system specs...I think most of use here have pretty low specs, and it needs a DVD drive to run anyway. I'll put it in if I can find my other copy.
02-07-2005 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
My only thought so far is that this would be a great way to (possibly) get rid of all the white elephant gifts I got for christmas...

02-07-2005 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: About the Prize Pile. (+1)  
I want to explain a little better about what the Prize Pile is trying to accomplish. We aren't desperate for more prizes. We aren't trying to save money. It's really not like that.

This is about having interesting interactions between forum members. It's a social experiment. It's grounding the weird, impersonal, abstractness of the net with the outside physical world. There is some entity called "DiMono" that wanders around the virtual reality of "DROD.net", but let's extend the boundaries of your imagination a little: He is also a nice guy that is going to scrounge around his apartment for some computer equipment to give away. If you win a contest, you can have some of his stuff, direct from the Chris Marks Archives. He's going to go to some Canadian Ministry of Postal Transactions and mail you that 4-port ethernet hub that he doesn't use anymore. And you can thank him for it! So there is a little connection here, and personally, I find these connections quite valuable. Hopefully you guys will too!

-Erik

02-07-2005 at 06:48 PM
ErikH2000
Doom wrote:
Is the JtRH picture in the pile from the CD-cover of the game or just a random picture?
It is from the CD cover. The actual picture on the CD cover will be a little different from that. Later on I'll probably replace the image with a photo of the actual CD.

-Erik

02-07-2005 at 06:49 PM
ErikH2000
wackhead_uk wrote:
Would anyone really care if I donated a copy of MGS:2 Substance for the PC? I have two copies for some reason. I just don't want to give it to someone who doesn't want it, or who has low system specs...I think most of use here have pretty low specs, and it needs a DVD drive to run anyway. I'll put it in if I can find my other copy.
It sounds like a great gift. Just be sure to include the specs needed to play the game.

-Erik

02-07-2005 at 06:52 PM
ErikH2000
stigant wrote:
My only thought so far is that this would be a great way to (possibly) get rid of all the white elephant gifts I got for christmas...
Heh. I had that thought too, but decided against it. Who knows when somebody that gave me a gift might wander onto the forum and expose me? I also have a hard time regifting, because it just makes me feel sad. Not to say you shouldn't though.

-Erik

02-07-2005 at 06:54 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I seem to have two copies of the graphic novels Maus and Maus II, by Art Spiegelman, the only graphic novels ever to win the Pulitzer Prize. I can toss them both on the prize pile as a single prize, together they're worth roughly $25-30. I'll see what I can do about putting a picture of them up when I get home tonight.

Plot summary: It's the story of surviving the German concentration camps, as told by personified mice. Read about the first book here.

02-07-2005 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Why wouldn't prize announcements (like my previous post) belong in the other thread?

02-07-2005 at 08:14 PM
ErikH2000
DiMono, never mind my previous post on the Prize Pile topic in reply to yours. I got confused and thought you were talking about offering the prize instead of actually offering. My mistake! Thanks for the great prize!

-Erik

02-07-2005 at 08:14 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I read the Great Gatsby while I was in college because I felt like I hadn't read enough of the "Classics" either. I didn't feel like it was worth the effort, and I still don't undrstand the pink shirt.

02-07-2005 at 09:11 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Are they any limits to what you can put up? I have a set of brand new Mongoose rollerblade wheels I'd be 100% willing to put up, I just want to clarify it's okay before I post it on the actual topic. Specs are:

-8 plastic Mongoose 72mm rollerblade wheels (Only used once...I personally find rubber wheels better, but it is just preference. Plastic wheels are really good for outdoor blading).
-16 ABEC3 bearings (2 per wheel).
-8 Screws for installation.
-1 Hex key to install the screws.

The total value would be about $20 CAD, which would end up about $15 USD. Shipping shouldn't be that much, as the package weighs about 7 pounds.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:02-22-2005 at 06:40 PM]

02-22-2005 at 05:22 PM
ErikH2000
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Are they any limits to what you can put up? I have a set of brand new Mongoose rollerblade wheels I'd be 100% willing to put up, I just want to clarify it's okay before I post it on the actual topic.
Yeah, go for it! Thanks!

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 at Local Time:02-22-2005 at 06:29 PM: Oops. I misunderstood that these were wheels, not shoes.]

02-22-2005 at 06:28 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
The total value would be about $20 CAD, which would end up about $30 USD.

Are you sure you got the exchange rate right?

02-22-2005 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
eytanz wrote:
Are you sure you got the exchange rate right?
Nope. I was probably thinking US to CAD. In actuality, it's around $15 USD. Sorry 'bout that.

02-22-2005 at 06:39 PM
ErikH2000
I took the Diplomacy game off the prize pile. I'm giving it to Malarame as a reward for some help he gave.

-Erik

04-05-2005 at 05:24 AM
Leus
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 204
After analyzing all options, I acquired an idea. Including Smitemaster's Selection holds as attainable assets appears acceptable. I understand it as an appropriate addition, although another aspect against it imaginably implies incorrectness.

(...I wrote one sentence with a lot of words beginning with vowels so I decided to do the whole thing that way. I'm dumb. And I thought I already made this post before--without the vowels thing--so if I did and it got deleted and now I'm making it again: Sorry. I'll remember this time.

Also, incase you can't read that: I think adding Smitemaster's Selection holds to the prize pile would be a good idea, but I could be wrong.)

10-10-2005 at 07:06 AM
DiMono
Lux looks sweet. Now I have to win it.

10-13-2005 at 01:57 AM
ErikH2000
Lux is sweet! Have you played the demo yet?

Semi-related: Trials of Werlin went to Leus and is no longer on the pile.

-Erik

10-13-2005 at 02:40 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
ErikH2000 wrote:
#2, I gotta take care of my hands to ward off the RTS, and this thing is a keyboard-masher, as Schik puts it.
Yeah, let me tell you, you got to keep those Realtime Strategy games at bay! With all that unit managering and crisis response, you could end up with RSI if you don't keep it under control.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-05-2005 at 03:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Moved my post from Prize Pile topic to avoid clutter...

Alneyan wrote:
(On another note, what would be the license for a screenshot you have made yourself? I am the author of the file itself, but definitively not the author of the game displayed in the file. Hmm...)
For the screenshots I've posted, I've had permission from game authors. Sometimes larger companies have a legal FAQ or other general license for screenshots. There is an unspoken rule that reviewers and sites promoting games can post whatever screenshots they want. But technically, posting a screenshot here without permission is copyright infringement, and in this context, a 2nd-hand giveaway might not be considered promotion for the game. I don't want a DMCA takedown request going to my hosting provider, so I have to be more than a little careful.

That said, it's probably best to remove the screenshot attachment and just link to a product info page on the software publisher's page that has screenshots. The same issue probably applies to Saqqara's movie pics, but she's hosting the images on her own site, so I won't worry about it. A real-life photo of a physical object that has the image on it seems to be okay. And sorry I have to be such a killjoy.

Thanks a lot for the donations, Alneyan and Saqqara! They are both excellent additions to the pile. I'm really glad to see donations coming from players--not because I need new prizes, but because it validates this idea I had that we'd enjoy sharing gifts with each other. I like how you both gave away something you've personally enjoyed. In the same spirit, I'm planning to buy second copies of some of my favorite books to give away later.

I'll add some similar comments at the top post of the Prize Pile topic for future cases.

-Erik

12-09-2005 at 07:04 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Question : Will 18+ material (silence of the lams/hanibal) be only given to adults ? No, Im not interested in it (I am not a fan of horror) but I´m just curious.
12-09-2005 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
If I host the screenshot on my website, would it be fine with you? Not that there is much benefit in my own screenshot, compared to other screenshots, of course.

Thanks for your answer Erik!

[Last edited by Alneyan at 12-09-2005 07:26 PM]
12-09-2005 at 07:25 PM
Saqqara
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
A real-life photo of a physical object that has the image on it seems to be okay. And sorry I have to be such a killjoy.

My digital camera chooses when it wants to work, so instead of fooling with it, I just found the photos of what I needed on the internet. I'm not to worried about getting a take-down notice, my site is relatively obscure (especially for lawyers, who looks at an ancient history website for DVDs?) However, if the need arises, I'll beg the gods over at Hewlett Packard for one last shot. :P

[Last edited by Saqqara at 12-09-2005 07:33 PM]
12-09-2005 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Alneyan wrote:
If I host the screenshot on my website, would it be fine with you? Not that there is much benefit in my own screenshot, compared to other screenshots, of course.
Sure, no problem.

-Erik

12-09-2005 at 07:56 PM
ErikH2000
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Question : Will 18+ material (silence of the lams/hanibal) be only given to adults ? No, Im not interested in it (I am not a fan of horror) but I´m just curious.
I'll ask about age when it comes up, and get parental consent if needed.

-Erik

12-09-2005 at 07:57 PM
ErikH2000
Crampy, thanks for putting up your Thursday books on the Prize Pile. I don't know anything about them beyond what you've said, but they sound pretty cool.

-Erik

12-27-2005 at 05:53 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
ErikH2000 wrote:
Crampy, thanks for putting up your Thursday books on the Prize Pile. I don't know anything about them beyond what you've said, but they sound pretty cool.

No problemo. The greater selection of prizes there is, the better.

12-27-2005 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : About the Prize Pile. (For discussion related to the Prize Pile.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com