Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Test thread This topic has been locked
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Re: Test thread (0)  
It's okay now... all sorted, thanks to Schik and Erik.

12-02-2003 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
What's being tested, anyways?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-04-2003 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Schik wrote:
Please ignore this, I'm going to use this thread for testing some things.

From the very first post in this topic.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-04-2003 at 07:08 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
But what are "some things"?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-05-2003 at 05:29 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Since Schik is the person who is mainly responsible for making sure the forum is running smoothly and adding new content, he was using this thread to test some of the changes he made. It would not necessarily be obvious to the rest of us.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-05-2003 at 05:49 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
I've used this thread to test many things - I can't remember exactly what most of them were. I know I used it a lot when testing attaching files, especially removing attachments, adding them by editing the post, allowing moderators to remove anybody's attachments, etc.

This thread should probably be allowed to fade into obscurity - with the new host and all, I've got a nice test forum that I use to do all of this stuff without interrupting the real forum. It's quite nice, and without it things like the Hold uploading would have been a lot harder to pull off.

12-05-2003 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 751

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php:751) in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 756

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php:751) in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 759

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php:751) in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 771

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php:751) in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 773
01-08-2004 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Test.

01-22-2004 at 07:19 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Testing
03-02-2004 at 08:04 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Sets.

[Edited by eytanz on 03-02-2004 at 08:08 PM GMT: Hmmm - yes, I do seem to be too tired to spell at the moment.]

03-02-2004 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
sims5000
Rank Points: 117
testtesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttest
03-02-2004 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Avon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
test test tesst test test test

[Edited by Avon on 03-03-2004 at 08:44 AM GMT: spelling error]

[Edited by Avon on 03-03-2004 at 08:45 AM GMT: stet]

03-03-2004 at 08:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Testing to see if I can break the forums by "forgetting" to close my tags.

The following is what happens when you don't close a secret tag. You can also create a weird discolored sidebar with the "Quote Reply" link in it by leaving an IMG tag open. Other than that, leaving tags open has no adverse consequences aside from changing the entire remainder of the post including your signature text.

Click here to view the secret text

[Edited by Sokko on 03-07-2004 at 04:51 PM GMT]

[Edited by Sokko on 03-07-2004 at 04:54 PM GMT]

[Edited by Sokko on 03-07-2004 at 04:55 PM GMT]

[Edited by Schik on 03-07-2004 at 05:38 PM GMT]

03-07-2004 at 04:43 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Yes, you can.

(note how it carries over even through my post, which contains no tags)

[Edited by eytanz on 03-07-2004 at 04:54 PM GMT]

03-07-2004 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Sokko
Yes, I had found that out just now. If you use any other tags in a subsequent post, it will "break the magic", so to speak.

So, is this a valid case yet for automatically closing all tags when you hit the "Post Reply" button? ;)

03-07-2004 at 04:56 PM
Schik
I think that automatic closing of tags is a good idea. If I were a full-time paid employee here, I'm sure I would have done it by now. Other committments, trying to maintain some sort of non-drod life, blah blah blah. It's on my to-do list.

03-07-2004 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Testing...

Done

Edit: Wow, I seriously can't believe someone moderated a post in a thread meant for testing the forum.

[Edited by DiMono on 03-08-2004 at 01:27 PM GMT]

03-08-2004 at 03:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Sokko
Hm... first it was the modding down of the accidental double-post, now it's a testing post in a thread meant for forum testing... I suspect, Watson, that these culprits are one and the same. It's elementary!

03-09-2004 at 02:40 AM
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
You messed with the rest now test with the best but lest you think this post is in jest undertake a quest to be blessed by Celeste

I apologize for this post... as per request

est
est
est
est

ok I think it's out of my system nowest

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-09-2004 at 04:07 AM GMT: EST!! ]

03-09-2004 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
DiMono
Ah, okay, I know what's going on. I made two posts in rapid succession, but they were in fact different, and then I deleted the second one because it no longer made sense to keep it around. Though this leads to the question, could post content be taken in to account as well when determining a double-post, or would that be far too complicated (as I suspect it is)?

03-09-2004 at 04:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
agaricus5
icon Re: Test thread (+1)  
Testing self modding.

Edit: I get an error. That's good. I thought I was able to do such a thing because I have the necessary buttons over my posts.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 04-01-2004 at 06:29 PM GMT]

04-01-2004 at 07:09 PM
Drizzo
icon Re: Test thread (+2)  
Heh... funny that, I had an urge to test that out last night on the "beta" news thread... I'd like to say I'd sure enjoy it if the site would give you some admonishment for trying to mod your own post... "Silly DRODder! Modding forum posts are for others!" although that may be to Americanized to amuse everyone... I doubt the Trix rabbit is an international symbol... it certainly could berate you for trying to cheat the system.

test

04-01-2004 at 07:50 PM
Schik
I was this close to making it automatically mod the post negative if you modded your own post, but I decided not to. :)

04-01-2004 at 07:57 PM
Drizzo
I actually was trying to mod my own post negative in a state of immense disappointment in my lack of proper cynicism.

04-01-2004 at 08:39 PM
Nillo
Testing

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-02-2004 at 08:29 PM
DiMono
Test

Alright, why can I close a secret tag that's not open? It messes up the post.

[Edited by DiMono on 04-03-2004 at 05:56 PM GMT]

04-03-2004 at 06:55 PM
Nillo
I've noticed that if you preview your message, the Description box shows up, even if it is'nt the first message in the topic.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-03-2004 at 09:56 PM
Schik
Nillo wrote:
I've noticed that if you preview your message, the Description box shows up, even if it is'nt the first message in the topic.
Thanks, I've fixed this.

04-04-2004 at 03:47 AM
Schik
DiMono wrote:
The same reason you can open one and not close it - the forum doesn't have any idea what those things mean. It just knows that when it finds a certain string, it should replace it with a different string. There's nothing in the code saying "hey, this is a pair of tags, and if you have one you'd better have the other".

04-04-2004 at 03:50 AM
agaricus5
Schik wrote:
DiMono wrote:
The same reason you can open one and not close it - the forum doesn't have any idea what those things mean. It just knows that when it finds a certain string, it should replace it with a different string. There's nothing in the code saying "hey, this is a pair of tags, and if you have one you'd better have the other".
Hmm that's interesting... I'm just going to test for fun what happens if you put the secret tags in reverse order.

Edit - The effect is quite interesting as well :).

[Edited by agaricus5 on 04-04-2004 at 11:06 PM GMT]

04-05-2004 at 12:05 AM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Test thread This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com