Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Anyone thinking of Linux...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Anyone thinking of Linux... (0)  
I just received my latest edition of Maximum PC (February 2005), and it has a very interesting article about an editor who switched over to a Linux-only system for 6 months and how he was able to get it to perform all of his Windows tasks on it. It's a very informative article, and it has a person dressed up as a penguin! Well worth the $10 CAD for it.

02-01-2005 at 01:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Anyone thinking of Linux... (0)  
Gamer, did you get your Linux set up and working? Are you playing DROD:AE on Linux now?

I am curious, who is playing DROD:AE on Linux these days? For those who have played both on Windows and Linux, do you have a preference for one version or another?

-Erik

02-08-2005 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: Anyone thinking of Linux... (+1)  
B0rsuk plays DROD on Linux. Just because he can and he's biased. Other than glitches related to bad drivers for AC97, I experienced no crashes or bugs whatsover.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
02-08-2005 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
I play DROD mostly on Linux, but that's mainly because I use Linux more than Windows. I don't really have a preference, although it sometimes feels as if the text is more readable in the Linux-version.

As a comparison, my drod1_6.dat for Windows is ~8MB whereas my drod1_6.dat for Linux is ~25MB.

02-08-2005 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
ErikH2000 wrote:
Gamer, did you get your Linux set up and working? Are you playing DROD:AE on Linux now?
I had it installed, but I discovered that an 8 gig hard drive isn't big enough for 2 OS'. I do have it installed at my school (Thank goodness for knowing the sys admin), and I actually prefer the Linux version simply because of the text. While Tom's New Roman is an interesting font, it's very hard to read in small fonts.

02-08-2005 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Woah! I thought we used Tom's New Roman on the Linux version too. I guess not.

-Erik

02-08-2005 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Stefan wrote:
I don't really have a preference, although it sometimes feels as if the text is more readable in the Linux-version.
Well, it is. You did saw the difference in the scrolls in your own scroll size bug thread, don't you?

I'd rather play it in Linux, but I use my own music instead. And I can't seem to get both the sound effects and my music play together ...

Anyone?

-- Tim

02-09-2005 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Ah, I hadn't looked at that topic. I agree the text looks better on Linux by a dramatic margin. But in the example pics, both fonts are Tom's New Roman, which we distribute with DROD:AE. It is curious to me that either SDL_ttf or Freetype renders fonts differently on Windows or Linux. Like Gerry, I would have expected those libraries to produce identical results.

-Erik

02-09-2005 at 01:58 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Anyone thinking of Linux...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com