Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : In one turn, what is the order of creature moves?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
IP: Logged
icon In one turn, what is the order of creature moves? (0)  
I have no idea if that makes any sense...

I mean like how the first 4 moves are:

Beethro(body) -> Beethro(sword) -> Mimic(body) -> Mimic (sword)

Or so i think... I suppose if a brain had a move, it would be before all the other creatures... anyway, does anyone know the whole sequence?
01-31-2005 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: In one turn, what is the order of creature moves? (+1)  
There's no fixed sequence.

Beethro moves first (with his sword), then mimics (with their sword), then tar cutting happens, then monsters.

If there's more than one mimic or more than one monster, they move in the order of placement. I.e. the first mimic you place moves first, then the second, etc.

Exactly the same happens with monsters, except it's by the order that the architect placed them (except for spawned monsters, which move after placed monsters). There's no way for the player to figure out the order except by trial-and-error, unfortunately.

01-31-2005 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: In one turn, what is the order of creature moves? (0)  
Maybe someone can make a hold that depends on which one moves first.There are a few mosters trying to get to beethro and since one of them moved before the other, the other monster waited a turn making the room possible.
Just a thought.

01-31-2005 at 05:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
I thought someone already made one like this? Or am I thinking of the post where someone made a hold to see what order roaches were spawned in?
01-31-2005 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
An interesting thread on the topic.

[Edited by Krishh at Local Time:01-31-2005 at 06:06 PM]
01-31-2005 at 06:05 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Rickys Dungeon, 1N 2E (authored by bibelot) was the best room I've ever seen that uses monster order. It never actually made it to the holds forum, so heres a link:
Ricky's Dungeon

It had a hint in another room which made it a bit easier, but the way it used the movement order was just brilliant. The whole hold is still one of my favourites, actually.

[Edited by TripleM at Local Time:01-31-2005 at 10:05 PM]
01-31-2005 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Thanks for pointing out another great hold that's practically impossible to find unless you know what you're looking.

That was one beautiful room...

And the others don't seem bad either.
01-31-2005 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
wackhead_uk wrote:
I thought someone already made one like this? Or am I thinking of the post where someone made a hold to see what order roaches were spawned in?
There are certainly several examples on the boards, probably in the bugs forum, I think.

There are several holds that make good use of monster order placement. Off the top of my head, much of A Quiet Place also relies on monster movement order (see my post there for a list of the ones that struck me as most obvious), as well as Bavato's Dungeon, L9 Entrance.

Here's an example hold that illustrates this more explicitly:

http://www.drod.net/forum/getattachment.php?id=2300.

I personally dislike rooms with monster order placement being crucial to the solution (I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite), but in low volumes, they're not too bad.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:01-31-2005 at 11:15 PM]

01-31-2005 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
There were some rooms in my Queens hold that, well, had some movement related problems. Not intentional, but if you have some queens near each other and you want them to move, then there's nothing you can do.

In the end I removed all the queens in some rooms, and put them back from top left to bottom right. It's not funny, but at least this is a solution.

Although, if there would be an option that sorts out my monster placement order in the JtRH editor, it would be nice ;)

[ Note that my previous sentence was meant to be a joke! ]

But I am considering making my Queen hold a bit easier in a new version...

-- Tim

01-31-2005 at 11:40 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : In one turn, what is the order of creature moves?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com