Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Viewing my moderated posts
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon Viewing my moderated posts (0)  
When in the "Viewing my moderated posts" under my profile, it would be nice to see who gave me my points.

01-26-2005 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Viewing my moderated posts (0)  
It's anonymous and we plan on keeping it that way. Sorry!

01-26-2005 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bradwall
No problem. Thanks for the info.
01-26-2005 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Viewing my moderated posts (+1)  
bradwall wrote:
When in the "Viewing my moderated posts" under my profile, it would be nice to see who gave me my points.
I don't think it's a good idea, since the democracy and anonymity of the whole points system will be completely undermined, which goes against the original principle of it in the first place and may eventually destroy it altogether. If rank point givers are disclosed, then it will cause problems in the future between users, such as complaining about why a particular person gave a rank point to someone, or why someone gives rank points to someone else but not them, for example. It's also likely we'd have problems as well with personal flaming or arguments in the case of negative mods.

Keeping it all secret, as it is now, is probably the best idea, since no-one will be feeling inhibited by giving their opinions on a post, which is far more democratic.

01-26-2005 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
I feel like such a communist.
01-26-2005 at 10:36 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
bradwall wrote:
Well, I'm tired, so the message may have come out a bit too harshly, so I apologise.

I don't think I'd go that far and say you're advocating "communism", for it's more like making the community less anonymous and more open, which would work well with small groups of people, but not on a forum the size of this one. Don't feel bad, though, since it's not a bad suggestion in itself; it's just unworkable in such a social context.

01-26-2005 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
agaricus5 wrote:
bradwall wrote:
Well, I'm tired, so the message may have come out a bit too harshly, so I apologise.

It didn't come out harsh... I am just being weird.
01-26-2005 at 10:46 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
What about if, when you mod someone up/down, you could give a quick note about why etc. Something like "ROFL, this post is hysterical" or "Thanks mate, that hint helped me out a lot" or "you're being a jerk, kindly cut it out" or "Winner of XXX Contest" etc.

It would be optional of course, and you could leave your name (if you wanted to).

(The more I think about it, the less I think it would be used, and would probably take up a lot of space on the server). Oh well, I'll post this anyway and see if it sparks something in some else's brain.

01-26-2005 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
stigant wrote:
What about if, when you mod someone up/down, you could give a quick note about why etc. Something like "ROFL, this post is hysterical" or "Thanks mate, that hint helped me out a lot" or "you're being a jerk, kindly cut it out" or "Winner of XXX Contest" etc.
Personally, I see that as being more hassle than it's worth. If you get modded down, oh well. It's happened to everyone, I could probably say. If you get modded up, do a little victory jig if you wanted to. Just remember that, as Erik likes to mention, rank points aren't as important as you think. I'm not going to respect a person with a higher rank more than someone with a lower rank. Simple as that! :)

01-26-2005 at 11:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
If Dimono reads this, he will know what I am talking about - on the Red vs Blue forums, you mod the person's post, then you choose a label to go with it, such as "ditto" or noob" or "flame", from a certain list. Whatever word has been chosen the most when modded, shows up by the mod of the post. For example, it might say "- 1 Noob" or "+453 Ditto".
I'm guessing it would be a bit hard to implement though, and it is a bit annoying to mod it then choose what you're moding it for.
01-27-2005 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
wackhead_uk wrote:
you mod the person's post, then you choose a label to go with it, such as "ditto" or noob" or "flame", from a certain list. Whatever word has been chosen the most when modded, shows up by the mod of the post. For example, it might say "- 1 Noob" or "+453 Ditto".

Personally, that feels a bit too Slashdottish for me, and I don't think we need those kind of specifics.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-28-2005 at 12:40 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Viewing my moderated posts (+2)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Personally, that feels a bit too Slashdottish for me, and I don't think we need those kind of specifics.
-1 Troll ;)

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:01-28-2005 at 12:46 AM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-28-2005 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
mrimer wrote:
-1 Troll ;)

Love the power of the e-mailed posts...thanks for adding that ;), I was about to head over here and flame you to Antarctica and back!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-28-2005 at 12:55 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
The Red vs Blue system is also much deeper than simple modding. There are filters you can apply so you only see threads whose first posts have been modded above some number, you get parts of karma points (analogous to rank points) for just about everything you do, and there is about 100x the community size. It was all custom-made, and the karma system in place there was tailored to the community like hold submittal and room display were tailored to the DROD community.

On the other hand, I do think it would be really cool if a community-centric website were to be launched alongside JtRH, but it would take a significant amount of work to get it running. There are a lot of really cool features that could be added, but there's probably just not enough time.

01-28-2005 at 01:20 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Viewing my moderated posts (+2)  
The problem I've found with filters is that you end up having disjointed coversation. One person could be typing something, and the next filtered post is in a completely different thread of the conversation.

I see what you're saying, Gamer, but it does get very difficult, not to mention weird, to read. If this conversation was filtered, for example, your post currently wouldn't show up, and it would be very weird to read.

Erik! What you do with your cat should stay between you. And probably Britanny. And what does that have to do with the topic anyways?

Back on-topic, it's usually pretty obvious why someone's been modded up in their post. The problem with tags is that with our small community size, they're mostly redundant, but have the downside of being inaccurate. At the RvB forums, I've seen plenty of "+3 Troll" mods.

The idea of the ranking system is to give people a quick way to commend or condemn a particular post. Things that make it less quick tend to work against the relative insignificance of the system. If you did want to take more time, you could always send the person a PM, and although our icon for it is atrocious, it's there. It even puts the name of the thread you're replying to there.

It's not public, but then, do you really need to say, "Man, Dimono, that was funny!" next to a funny post? If it's funny, everyone here can pretty much tell, and your anonymous "+1" is all we need to know that someone noticed it. If you really need to let Dimono, say, know that he's a funny guy, give him a PM. The only person who'll really read and appreciate it will be Dimono, after all.

Matt

01-28-2005 at 07:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Viewing my moderated posts
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com