Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Rewording on main page's hold section
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Rewording on main page's hold section (+1)  
If you'd like to add your own completed hold, register for the DROD.net forum (a painless process, and we promise not to spam you) and upload it using this page. If you've just finished your hold and haven't had others playtest it, we highly recommend you stop by the Architect forum where people will be glad to give your hold a test-run.

(Link)

I suggest rewording this paragraph. Thematically, exchange the two sentences so that the first thing someone reads is that they should have their hold playtested on the Architecture forum. This may help avoid some of the issues we have seen in the past of new users signing up for the forums in order to submit their hold without any playtesting.

Also, perhaps more wording to the same effect would be useful in the form that people fill out to submit their hold...mention that it's pretty embarassing to have to redo your hold if there's a serious error that could have been caught by other people playtesting.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer at Local Time:01-05-2005 at 12:58 AM]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-05-2005 at 12:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Rewording on main page's hold section (+1)  
If you'd like to add your own completed hold, register for the DROD.net forum, (a painless process, and we promise not to spam you) and upload it using this page. If you've just finished your hold and haven't had others playtest it, we highly recommend you stop by the Architect forum where people will be glad to give your hold a test-run.
I suggest rewording this paragraph.
I'll donate it:
If you'd like to add your own hold, register for the drod.net forum, (a painless process, and we promise not to spam you) and attach it in a post in the architecture board. Then users will playtest it to see if it can be made better, and to see if there are bugs, so you can fix them. When you feel it is the best it can get, upload it using this page.
It will be very embarassing to have to redo your hold if there's a serious error that was found after you put it in the Holds board, that could have been caught by other people playtesting.

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:01-05-2005 at 06:59 AM]

01-05-2005 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Rewording on main page's hold section (+2)  
Turns out I've been locked out for some reason from editing anything in the forum folder. This amuses me greatly, because of all the effort Schik's put in to making it easy for me to edit things like the FAQ and the holds page. I'm frankly not surprised, so I'm going to go over and feel smug that I do need to make occasional changes to the forum after all.

In any case, I rewrote all of the text and made the "discuss" links open in a new window. Here's the new text:

So, what are holds, you ask, with a slightly pointed expression? Good question!

A hold is a set of levels, like King Dugan's Dungeon, that represent a complete DROD dungeon. A couple are made by the designers of DROD, but most are made by DROD players, and a fair few are even better than King Dugan's! (Naturally, we kidnapped the designers.) You can make your own hold to play yourself, with time and effort, but then you'd know all the solutions, which does get in the way of the fun a bit.

The holds you see below have been uploaded to DROD.net by members for other fans to play - if you'd like to try one out, just click on the hold's name to download it (even the largest holds are only a few kilobytes) and then click the "Where" button in DROD: Architect's Edition, then "Import".

The difficulty of a hold, judged by the players, is represented by how many brains it has. The (probably more important) overall 'fun' rating is represented by the yellow bar. More details can be found by following the "Discuss" link, which opens in a new window. You can sort the table by clicking on the columns (clicking on the same one again will sort it by descending order). Clicking on it several times might be fun if you're bored.

If you're building a hold of your own, stop by the Architect forum where there are lots of helpful people that want to help you get the kinks out of your hold and make sure it's ready for prime-time. When all the bugs have been fixed, you can upload it to this page, but be warned: you can't change the structure of the hold once it's uploaded, so make sure it's ready before you do. This is why the Architect's forum comes in handy.

If you haven't registered, you might want to. Because, you know, we like new people, and we kinda need people to have registered to post... yeah. (The worst that will happen is that you'll occasionally get DROD.net news.)

Any changes you guys can suggest?

(Whoa, rowrow suggested some text. I'll admit I didn't read the whole topic.)

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy at Local Time:01-05-2005 at 01:38 PM]

01-05-2005 at 12:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
Maybe mention that you can opt out of the news? Other than that, sounds good!

01-05-2005 at 02:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
Okay, Schik informs me that I wasn't actually locked out in the first place, so now I look like a bit of a fool, but a fool who's made the necessary changes. I added in some text to say you can opt-out of the list (thanks Fafnir) and if anyone else has any suggestions, I'll take them on board.

Matt

01-05-2005 at 02:38 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Now that you've made the changes, I've locked you back out again. :P

01-05-2005 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Rewording on main page's hold section (0)  
Thanks, Matt, looks good!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-05-2005 at 04:37 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Rewording on main page's hold section
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com