Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Video Game Music (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
How important is a game's background/ambient music when rating a game?
Very important
Good music is helpful, but not necessary
Depends on the genre of game (IE- FPS, RTS, RPG...)
It's not very important
Music isn't important at all. I just let my MP3s roll!
I have no opinion
What genres of games, in your opinion, need background music the most?
First/Third Person Shooters
Real-Time Strategies
Role-Playing Games
Puzzle
Arcade
Action
Stealth
Adventure
Racing
Other
Pressing Vote will vote for all of the questions. Make sure you have voted in each one!
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Video Game Music (0)  
It occured to me the other day how good some music in video games can be, but also how bad they can be. If anyone owns MechWarrior 3 Pirates Moon, pop it into your CD player and listen to the first 5 minutes of the second track (Yes, the music is in CDA form). If you listen closely, you will hear a simply rhythm that leads into a simply melody, but it gives off a feeling of intenseness and urgency, and if you've played any of the Mechwarrior games, you'll know that the music is perfect for the game.

Even worse, some music just flat-out sucks, making you retreat to your friendly-computer MP3 player. So I ask you all...how important is good music to any game you play? And if you know a game that has good music in your opinion, post it here.

12-29-2004 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
icon Re: Video Game Music (+1)  
IMO, Final Fantasy VII through X have some of the greatest music written for video games. As for the rest, the music of Final Fantasy VI and below are too crudely synthed to be of interest to most people (I still like them, though), and I haven't played XI or Crystal Chronicles. You don't want to know my thoughts on X-2. Or what I would like to do to the designers. Trust me on this one.

Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn) has some good music too - a few bad tracks, but the rest is excellent. So do Doom and Doom II, if you have the right sound card or find mp3s from someone who does.

12-29-2004 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Video Game Music (0)  
Yeah, FF music is great.

I think Soul Blazer, an SNES game, has a moving soundtrack.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-30-2004 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I'd say that the original Command & Conquer has some of the best music in game history.
Although I might be biased because the game itself rocks so much.

Of all the Final Fantasies, I think the sixth has the best soundtrack. Especially the battle theme.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
12-30-2004 at 12:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
Nillo wrote:
I'd say that the original Command & Conquer has some of the best music in game history.
Yes, yes, yes! 'Mechanical man' was one of my favourites, and they actually used that for the trailer to Tiberian Sun.

Also, the Gran Turismo games have good music, and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City used some good music from the 80's to really set the mood.
12-30-2004 at 12:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
GTA2 had a couple of interesting stations on it as well...

12-30-2004 at 02:32 PM
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
While I do listen to more video game original soundtracks than most people, most of the video game music I listen to comes in the form of remix.

I figure these websites are relatively common knowledge, but there might be a few people who aren't familiar with them who might be interested in Video Game Music remixes, so I'll link them anyway:

Overclocked Remix Each one of these rearrangements goes through a rigorous judging process to ensure quality. It's been featured in gaming magazines and the like.

VgMix Someone didn't like the judging process of OCremix, and so he made a website where anyone can post any sort of arrangement from a video game. Luckily, they are ranked by people so that the better ones are toward the top.

There's also OneUp Studios and Project Majestic Mix, but those require actually buying things.

Anyway, my personal favorite soundtracks are those to Wild Arms, Chrono Cross, the Donkey Kong Country series, Super Mario RPG, Parasite Eve, Megaman 1-4, everything by Koji Kondo and Nobuo Uematsu, of course, and also, despite the funky chord progressions, I am quite a fan of Caravel DROD's music. I've been told I have very poor taste, but there you go.

(Other composers to check out: Yoko Shimomura, Yasunori Mitsuda, Jun Ishikawa, Hiroki Kikuta, and a lot of other cool Japanese people.)
12-30-2004 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Slug
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 122
Monkey Island theme has been my favourite video game music ever since I heard it first time.

Other game that has music which I love is Star Control 2 (Yehat Terminator theme being my favourite).
12-31-2004 at 12:28 AM
masonjason
Rank Points: 349
I used to listen to much more VGM than I do, but I'm still a great fan of anything by Motoi Sakuraba (e.g. Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile). As far as I'm concerned, he's written some of the best music I've ever heard.

01-11-2005 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
The FFX soundtrack is my favorite soundtrack. Ever. Because I am such a loser, I turned my PS2 on, listened to the opening piano theme for a while, and then figured out how to play it on my piano. :yes
02-06-2005 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
B0rsuk game music theoretics:

B0rsuk is very fond on (game) music. However, certain things need to be clarified:
- music isn't very important when rating a game. When a game is bad, even best music won't save it. Period. I'd rather rip the music and delete the game. Opposite is possible, good or very good game will defend itself without good music.

- Good game music must obey one rule: it mustn't be too noisy. Even very good music will eventually tire you into oblivion if it's not designed as a background . Bad examples: Ufo:AI (most of pieces). Good examples: Dune2000, UFO/XCom1 geoscape music, XCOM2:TFTD battle music... This rule is especially true for "repetitive" games like strategy, multiplayer fpp, generally any game with long lifespan.

- Very, very important thing for game's athmosphere are sound effects (Notrium, Nox, Half-Life, Thief2..) and subtle ambients (Thief2). It's like using shadows while drawing: not something you notice immediately, but somehow it makes it feel real. I was being told how good HL music is, but I insisted to play without it. Sound effects alone are very, very moody... when you listen for footsteps, growls, etc.

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:02-06-2005 at 06:00 PM]

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
02-06-2005 at 05:59 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
b0rsuk wrote:
B0rsuk game music theoretics:
I like a lot of game music too. One thing that I think works very effectively in some games is to not always have some background music playing. This works great in Half-Life 2, for instance, where it's usually quiet except for ambient sounds. The music starts up only in those emotional, blood-pumping moments where it really has the power to mean something. In this case, having the same tune repeating in an area for hours might actually detract from the overall experience.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-07-2005 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Both HL and HL-2 benefited from not having any background music playing until the game wanted to tell you, essentially, "here we go, kids!"

I've just been playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, whose soundtrack is for the most part entirely licensed, and I'm surprised at how appropriate the music is. Normally, licensed music annoys me, but the GTA series and SSX3 both manage to use it really well. (SSX3 mixes the music as you play - if you're doing some big air, for example, the music cuts down to the backing track, then kicks back in when you land.)

Don't get me started on Need for Speed Underground 2. Oh god no.

Matt

02-07-2005 at 05:05 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
b0rsuk wrote:
music isn't very important when rating a game
I disagree. Or, well, it depends on the game, but I think that music in games are often seriously underrated, both by the developers and the players -- it plays a huge role, or at least has the potential to play a huge role, in setting the atmosphere, maybe even more than the graphics and the rest of the design. This may sound cheesy, but music talks more directly to our feelings.

For example, if you have a game with creepy graphics and creepy music, there's no question that the atmosphere is creepy. Then replace that creepy music with happy up-beat music, or do the opposite, replace the creepy graphics with shiny happy graphics. What happens to the atmosphere ? Again, that depends on the game, but I think that more often than not the music will dominate, and things may feel "wrong" because they don't match up. Setting up contrasts like that can have a huge impact on the overall feel of a game that is virtually impossible to get if you don't have good music.

- Gerry
02-08-2005 at 08:56 AM
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
Fafnir wrote:
IMO, Final Fantasy VII through X have some of the greatest music written for video games. As for the rest, the music of Final Fantasy VI and below are too crudely synthed to be of interest to most people (I still like them, though), and I haven't played XI or Crystal Chronicles. You don't want to know my thoughts on X-2. Or what I would like to do to the designers. Trust me on this one.

Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn) has some good music too - a few bad tracks, but the rest is excellent. So do Doom and Doom II, if you have the right sound card or find mp3s from someone who does.

Hahaha! I know what you mean with FF X-2. Oh boy... :lol

It seems I'm late for this topic too (as with The Legend of Zelda topic). I, personally think the music in games should interest me. I mean, a game with a horrible music score can cause me to simply turn away from playing it any longer. I'll give some examples of these: Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors on the Xbox and Vexx for the Gamecube...Man! Vexx didn't even have any music from what I played of it. I haven't even gotten into Otogi 2...maybe fifteen minutes so far...It simply did not draw me in.

On the other hand, with me its possible to draw me into a so-called bad game (some of the time) if the music is just excellent. But that's just sometimes...the only example I can think of is Quest 64. Many people say that was a bad one...

03-28-2005 at 12:01 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
trick wrote:
b0rsuk wrote:
music isn't very important when rating a game
I disagree. Or, well, it depends on the game, but I think that music in games are often seriously underrated, both by the developers and the players -- it plays a huge role, or at least has the potential to play a huge role, in setting the atmosphere, maybe even more than the graphics and the rest of the design. This may sound cheesy, but music talks more directly to our feelings.

For example, if you have a game with creepy graphics and creepy music, there's no question that the atmosphere is creepy. Then replace that creepy music with happy up-beat music, or do the opposite, replace the creepy graphics with shiny happy graphics. What happens to the atmosphere ? Again, that depends on the game, but I think that more often than not the music will dominate, and things may feel "wrong" because they don't match up. Setting up contrasts like that can have a huge impact on the overall feel of a game that is virtually impossible to get if you don't have good music.

- Gerry

About cheesy music - music can usually be turned off. I agree that music can contribute to athmosphere a lot, but in itself it doesn't make a game good or bad. I mean, I know many games who have good music and are quite boring. And opposite cases, too. Game can have no music whatsover and still be a hit. So let's asume that a game has great graphics and great music. And aside from that, AI is poor, it crashes, or something else. WIll you play it for long ?
If you need specific examples, look at Emperor: Battle For Dune. Music pieces range from fair to very good, yet the game has serious flaws that make it impossible to enjoy in multiplayer. For example terrible problems with collision, units often get stuck between buildings when you expand your base, or you find yourself unable to access far point of your base (which is attacked from the air).
Collision problems make theoreticaly good units worthless. For example Harkonnen tanks are strongest of all base vehicles, but are BIG, meaning that they block each other's way when attacking. 3 tanks win against all other 3 basic vehicles, but when numbers increase, they are impossible to manage, and lose against supposedly weaker units. This forced "Rush or die" strategy for Harkonnens. And all this - and others glitches/major balance problems happened with quite good music. Needless to say I stopped playing it, and domestic animal went back to RA2 multiplayer.

Generally I appreciate good sounds much more. Especially in FPS or RPG games. And ambient sounds like wind, or some machinery working in background belong to sound effects, not music. Such sounds make an area feel alive.

I used to make maps for Quake games, and I quickly learned that map without "speakers", as they are called there, feels simply empty. You don't see what's wrong (duh), but something is deffinitely missing. It's like with making one-colored backgrounds - if you just fill an image with one shade of color, it feels very crude, dull, 8 bit. But if you use a gradient, or some fancy overlapping layer with low opacity, or very subtle shadows, the "empty" feeling is gone, even if it may take some time for a person to determine what has been changed. I would say the sound effects are the most underrated "thing", not music.

I really enjoyed sound effects in Rune. Yes, it has very good music, too, but it plays only occasionaly. There are many various creatures, or should I say enemies, and each of them has like 20 or more sound effects. It's hard to notice without using editor, but they are there. When you play Rune, you hardly ever hear any sound repeating itself over and over, which is common thing in other games. And it gets on your nerves. Well, not in Rune. You can listen to goblins/dwarves taunting you forever.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
03-28-2005 at 08:15 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Uh, I didn't talk about cheesy music.

Anyway, of course music doesn't magically make a terrible game good. Graphics doesn't either. If the gameplay isn't good to begin with, it's back to the drawing board.

However, the music may be the difference between a good game and a great game.

Sound effects doesn't really have a mood like music does, but they do contribute to the atmosphere, so they're important as well, of course (although, again, it depends on the game). If you close a door and it sounds like a kitten, something's wrong. Also, ambient effects (like you mention) can add much to a game. Makes it more (or less!) real.

- Gerry

[Edited by trick at Local Time:03-28-2005 at 02:28 PM]
03-28-2005 at 02:26 PM
wackhead_uk
We really should star a poll - most covert use of the word 'kitten' in a post ;) .

I noticed that some of the music from half life 1 was actually reused in half life 2 - thet's how good it was.
03-28-2005 at 05:45 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
That and it wasn't really used much in Half-Life 1.

Matt

03-29-2005 at 02:00 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Wizardry VII (Crusaders of the Dark Savant) has really amazing music. If there were a vote for the best music in an RPG, that's what would be my choice. I really miss it, because I haven't found a way to run the original game on a modern computer and with music. And in Wizardry Gold (basically a remake for Windows) they changed all the music too :( It became much worse.

03-29-2005 at 07:41 AM
wackhead_uk
Mattcrampy wrote:That and it wasn't really used much in Half-Life 1.
It only worked if you had the CD in as well, so I never got to hear it until I reinstalled it a few months ago.

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:03-29-2005 at 10:51 AM]
03-29-2005 at 10:51 AM
fatboy
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: Video Game Music (+2)  
My favourites are music from ancient games like Gauntlet, Xenon 2, Monkey Island and Rick Dangerous. They're still stuck in my head.
I don't know about newer games because I don't really play them...... I quess the Wipeout and Vice city soundtracks are quite good, but I'm happy with the beeps and grunts of a battered spectrum 48k. :)

[Edited by fatboy at Local Time:03-31-2005 at 05:55 PM]

03-31-2005 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Xenon 2...I got to the first shop in that game, but the music was very good...as was the graphics.
04-01-2005 at 12:08 AM
rebaz
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
dudes, i dont realy think where this is going, but all i can think, is the music from FF 7,8,9 are the best, Double dragon(on the snes,nes)..... what more, i think snes is best because in that time the music was the coolest ,now they are putting real numbers in a game , like burnout 3, WTF is that, that aint music, that is ppl who are yelling trhew the mic!

04-25-2005 at 08:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Video Game Music (A multiple question poll) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com