Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : DROD: JtRH Tutorial (Tutorial for all elements in DROD 2.0)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged

File: DROD JtRH Tutorial.hold (23.6 KB)
Downloaded 3 times.
License: Public Domain
icon DROD: JtRH Tutorial (0)  
This hold is like my DROD: AE Tutorial, but for all the elements in DROD 2.0 instead of DROD 1.0, so expect more types of obstacles and more than one floor type in the presentation, but I didn't use scripted characters because as I specified they usually don't affect the gameplay in any major way, they are usually only used for story purposes like conversation/speech.

09/04/2024 UPDATE:

* Fixed various inaccuracies and unintended solutions throughout the hold.

[Last edited by azb at 09-05-2024 12:00 AM : 09/04/2024 Fix/Update]
08-26-2024 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
icon Re: DROD: JtRH Tutorial (0)  
Okay, all of the fixes to the AE version I applied to this one as well just now.

08-26-2024 at 06:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Now that the AE tutorial is a fully finished and published hold on the Holds board, does anyone have any comments on anything that needs fixing in this tutorial?

I already fixed the backtracking issues after the AE Edition got commented on having backtracking issues, and I initially forgot to clarify the difference between tar and mud mothers when you stab them on their tarstuff (like how tar mothers will always remove the tar underneath but the same is not true for mud mothes and the mud underneath), but I fixed that just now as well.

09-03-2024 at 11:50 PM
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4710
icon Re: DROD: JtRH Tutorial (+2)  
Monsters and Elements 6S1W: Third scroll could mention that monster can move onto a tunnel to kill you. Fourth scroll: "move on a tunnel" should be "move off a tunnel".

8S1W: Demonstration chamber (which is an excellent idea) would be better with two seep, one in an oblong chamber so it prefers horizontal. At the moment, the player only gets to see seep preferring vertical, which doesn't really show that they are different from roaches.

Advanced Elements and Techniques 6S: Solvable without the decoy. Up to you how much that matters.

7S: Last scroll should state that there's an arrow under it.

7S1E: Scroll is misleading. For the corner kill, your sword should be at right angles to the Slayer's hook, not opposite. More specifically: get the Slayer near the corner and facing diagonally away from it, then face at right angles to him and approach him so that your sword and his hook are between you.

Brain Drain 7S3W: Tunnels are not needed.

7S2W: Honestly this room doesn't need the red door + evil eye to make its point.

7S4W: I managed the kill here, but I don't think it's easy. Maybe give more specific instructions? Or wait for more feedback.

8S4W: Too many trapdoors; could cut the lower half without losing anything.

2S: Scroll is confusing, when the room itself shows brained golems going around obstacles! The actual difference between brained roach and brained golem behaviour is that roaches (and roach-likes) will consider other moves if their first-choice move is blocked (e.g. by a monster); golems will not. You could show this with a chamber containing golems stuck on brains and a roach moving through an identical chamber, maybe?

3S: This is not at all true -- brained seep have unique and very complicated behaviour. The main thing to know is that seep path across both wall and floor, so they will try to get as close to you as they can even if they can't reach you.

Final Homestand Entrance: Spiders become visible if you're within 2 tiles, not 5.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 09-05-2024 06:23 AM]
09-04-2024 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
All awesome and helpful feedback as always!

09-04-2024 at 11:45 PM
azb
I made the revisions in the appropriate rooms in the TCB tutorial as well, but will wait for this hold to be published officially on the Holds board before asking for commentary on the TCB tutorial, to keep things neat and in logical/coherent order.

09-05-2024 at 06:42 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : DROD: JtRH Tutorial (Tutorial for all elements in DROD 2.0)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com