Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Twenty Five Levels of Tendry (A 25 Level Hold, with about 4 rooms each level)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged

File: Twenty Five Levels of Tendry Final Version.drh (35.2 KB)
Downloaded 16 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Twenty Five Levels of Tendry (0)  
Hi everyone,

Here is a quick and easy hold, which I plan to have 25 levels in total for, that is like the original Tendry's Tale progression wise but is much shorter and has custom monters, where the blue ones are a weaker variant of a stronger monster and the red ones are a stronger variant of a weaker monster, and the red ones are usually bosses because of exactly how strong they are.

Currently, I have made only the first 5 levels so I can get feedback on how fun it is to play before I spam all 25 levels at once for no reason.

My plan for important equipment points in the rest of the hold is:

Level 6 will introduce mud and mud mothers

Level 7 will introduce the short sword and oremites

Level 8 will introduce the bronze shield and goblins

Level 9 will introduce the goblin biter

Level 11 will introduce tar and sworded enemies

Level 12 will introduce hot tiles and the grappling hook

Level 13 will introuduce tar mothers and the long sword, as well
as wyrms with the weakest, the rattlesnake

Level 14 will introduce the steel shield

Level 15 will introduce flippers

Level 16 will introduce gel and the speed potion

Level 17 will introduce water skippers and seep, and the hook

Level 18 will introduce hot tiles, Aumtlich, and the knight shield

Level 19 will introduce the wyrm smiter and the pickaxe

Level 20 will introduce the invisibility potion

Level 21 will introduce the hand bomb

Level 22 will introduce the warp token and portable orb

Level 23 will introduce the Really Big Sword and the VIP Card

Level 24 will introduce the wall walking token and the Oremite Shield, as well as the Slayer

Level 25 will introduce the Archivist, the final and most difficult boss

06/27/2024 UPDATE:

Added levels 6 thru 10, as well as fixed level titles to be less long-winded than necessary.

06/27/2024 UPDATE 2:

Added levels 11 thru 15.

06/27/2024 UPDATE 3:

Added levels 16 thru 20.

06/27/2024 UPDATE 4:

Added levels 21 thru 25.

06/27/2024 UPDATE 5:

Fixed levels 21 thru 25, like the fact you can insta-kill the Archivist with the hand bomb or the accessories after the hand bomb feeling tutorial-like rather than like actual RPG decisions, as well as the annoying fact that there wasn't an inventory this late in the game with so many accesories.

[Last edited by azb at 06-28-2024 02:13 AM : 06/27/2024 Update, fixing problems in the last 5 levels]
06-26-2024 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
icon Re: Twenty Five Levels of Tendry (0)  
I have levels 6 thru 10 drafted as well, and it's even harder than levels 1 thru 5 because the boss at the end of the section ensures you need to get every last powerup from all the earlier levels to survive except for the steel shield, and you won't survive the fight if you don't.

06-27-2024 at 01:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4704
icon Re: Twenty Five Levels of Tendry (+2)  
This is pretty good. Even though it "introduces" elements one by one, it feels all the time that I am playing RPG and not being tutorialised. The exception is roach queens, which are only shown poised to close doors that you absolutely need open, so you have no choice but to kill the queen first; it would be good if queens were used in some meaningful choices and especially if the fact that they prioritise the direction towards the player were used. But none of this is essential.

Resources were pretty tight throughout, especially with the GR gates that forced me to kill most of the enemies just for progress, but that's fine if you want to have relatively little variation early on and open up later. It was nice that there were places where I could leave some resources alone to backtrack for them when they became cheaper -- for example, by bringing an earlier green key into Level 3, I could avoid the green key in 1W until after the shield, when it is much cheaper. Please don't change that even if it was unintended -- micro-rewards like that are the bread and butter of good RPG holds!

My stats at the end:

HP 49
ATK 29
DEF 30
GR 25
2/0/0 keys (1/1/0 remaining behind monsters in Level 5)

It felt a bit weird that the Icy Glares are so weak. It was cheaper to attack them directly than go past their glares and come back. (But maybe you were deliberately training the player to be on the lookout for that situation?)

Level 4's title is too long for the scroll when it combines with room coordinates that have both south and west components. If you want to keep the levels with both names and numbers, you could change it to "Level 4: XYZ" instead of "Fourth Level", or even just "4: XYZ".

It was a bit strange, considering the level intro texts that state what monsters and elements are introduced in every level, that brains start to appear in Level 3 with no introduction. However, again, the reward of being able to kill the brain more easily if you saved yellow keys from earlier is very good.

06-27-2024 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Okay, now I have up to level 14 drafted, and decided that level 13 will not introduce wyrms or flippers, but level 14 will.

I also didn't think of gel mothers although I thought of gel, and gel mothers will be reserved for level 24 after you have gotten the ultimate Really Big Sword, cause of how strong they are - about as bad as a Slayer ATK and DEF wise, but not health wise.

06-27-2024 at 02:16 PM
azb
icon Re: Twenty Five Levels of Tendry (+1)  
Nuntar wrote:
This is pretty good. Even though it "introduces" elements one by one, it feels all the time that I am playing RPG and not being tutorialised. The exception is roach queens, which are only shown poised to close doors that you absolutely need open, so you have no choice but to kill the queen first; it would be good if queens were used in some meaningful choices and especially if the fact that they prioritise the direction towards the player were used. But none of this is essential.

Resources were pretty tight throughout, especially with the GR gates that forced me to kill most of the enemies just for progress, but that's fine if you want to have relatively little variation early on and open up later. It was nice that there were places where I could leave some resources alone to backtrack for them when they became cheaper -- for example, by bringing an earlier green key into Level 3, I could avoid the green key in 1W until after the shield, when it is much cheaper. Please don't change that even if it was unintended -- micro-rewards like that are the bread and butter of good RPG holds!

My stats at the end:

HP 49
ATK 29
DEF 30
GR 25
2/0/0 keys (1/1/0 remaining behind monsters in Level 5)

It felt a bit weird that the Icy Glares are so weak. It was cheaper to attack them directly than go past their glares and come back. (But maybe you were deliberately training the player to be on the lookout for that situation?)

Level 4's title is too long for the scroll when it combines with room coordinates that have both south and west components. If you want to keep the levels with both names and numbers, you could change it to "Level 4: XYZ" instead of "Fourth Level", or even just "4: XYZ".

It was a bit strange, considering the level intro texts that state what monsters and elements are introduced in every level, that brains start to appear in Level 3 with no introduction. However, again, the reward of being able to kill the brain more easily if you saved yellow keys from earlier is very good.

Awesome! I am glad you liked it, and this was my intention - to make something like an actual DROD RPG hold and not just a lineara tutorial like "A Test of Intelligence" - it is intentional the Icy Glares are weak, just like all blue monsters are very weak compared to the normal monsters, and it was indeed to show you how to not engage monsters if it's not necessary and you can kill them without any damage later.

06-27-2024 at 02:19 PM
azb
Now I have all the way up to level 20 drafted, and levels 13 thru 20 will feature a lot of "monsters that take only two hits to kill, but they deal a boatload of damage when they attack you" - levels 21 thru 25 will be the most difficult, just like the last section of Tendry's Tale was the most difficult.

06-27-2024 at 03:55 PM
azb
Okay, now I have all the way up to level 25 fully finished, complete with an altar in level right before the boss.

Levels 24 and 25 will have the bosses brained, and level 25 will have the boss have two brains rather than one, because I want to make the monsters as tough as possible to compensate for how powerful your stats are after using the altar.

06-27-2024 at 05:29 PM
Nuntar
Levels 6 to 10 are still good. I am just before the Goblin King boss with these stats:

HP 300
ATK 67 (Goblin-Biter)
DEF 66
GR 651
5/0/0 keys

I need one x2 large potion to bring my health to 700 and defeat the GK (665 damage) and I have the choice of spending a yellow key in 10 Entrance or 220 GR in either L8 Entrance or L10 1W, depending on which resource I need more urgently later. This is not at all a bad thing; it just means I've gotten slightly ahead of the curve and more resources were available if the player was struggling, which is good.

Level 6 has a lot of mud babies that become free with the bronze shield, so it's fairly easy to amass greckles; I assume you will take this into account and provide more ways to exchange them for other resources later.

Since both the L7 and L8 bosses are on oremites, it is optimal to skip the short sword entirely and get the Goblin-Biter first! It would be awesome if you decide to leave this in, since it's great to feel rewarded for finding a good play (like skipping the wooden shield in Tendry's Tale part 1).

It could never be a good idea to kill the brain in L7 1S1W. I guess the option is there to test whether the player is able to calculate this.

Both powerups in L9 1S1W are free if you understand stepping around goblins; I assume this is also a deliberate test for the player.

Some of the weak enemies, like the Ice-Caked Mud in L8 Entrance and the Ogres in L10 1S1W, were already free or very cheap when I reached them. I'm not sure whether this was a deliberate design choice. At least with the Ogres, there is still an interesting choice involved as to when I kill them for their keys, since I have to cross the Eye of Fire's gaze to do so.

06-27-2024 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Yeah, all of the things you bring up are intentional - level 24's altar will reward you greatly for killing all of the enemies from the earlier levels after you have gotten that far, because the bosses of level 24 and level 25 are the toughest ones.

06-27-2024 at 06:00 PM
Nuntar
Really enjoying this so far, especially Level 15, which has a lot of interesting choices as to the order of getting powerups and how to get the money needed for the long greckle gate chains.

Stats after defeating the Level 15 boss:

HP 467
ATK 191 (Long Sword)
DEF 163
6/0/0 keys (several still available for cheap or free on earlier levels)

Level 11 1W is the first place where I felt your colouring scheme fell flat -- I couldn't distinguish the goblins from the gremlin except by right-clicking.

I enjoyed the puzzle of cutting the tar blob in L11 1S1W to ensure I only had to fight one tar baby.

L12 Entrance: Very interesting here that the hot tile permanently blocks off earlier levels, so that I would have to spend health to get money from the Level 11 tar babies when they became free. This could be an annoyance, but since your level list mentions a VIP card near the end, I guess you will have a REP altar and I will want to do a single massive clean-up sweep at the very end.

I chose to spend the skeleton key on the blue door in Level 14 so I could leave the rattlesnake for when it becomes free. No doubt the availability of this choice is deliberate.

Looking forward to seeing how this continues!

06-27-2024 at 07:08 PM
azb
Actually, I wanted the player to spend the skeleton key on the hot tile so that it wouldn't drain their health each time they went back to earlier levels.

Levels 16 thru 20 are coming up, and they are gonna be actually slightly easier than levels 11 thru 15 in my opinion, but levels 21 thru 25 will definitely be the hardest.

06-27-2024 at 07:11 PM
Nuntar
It can't possibly be worth it to spend the skeleton key to skip the hot tile. One skeleton key = 30 points = 1200 HP, and even if you get all the health from Level 11 you will only lose about 60 HP each time you cross the hot tile. I hope you will leave it though, it's good that the choice exists even if one option is clearly better.

Stats after killing the Rock Giant:

HP 51
ATK 275 (Wyrmsmiter)
DEF 248
4/0/0 keys (again, lots left behind that I will get in final clean-up)

Level 16 title has a typo, "Goom" for "Gloom". Both enemies in Entrance were free when I reached them.

After getting the Knight Shield (so the Rattlesnake was free) I went back to get its blue key. Having an extra blue key made for some interesting choices about which blue keys to obtain when, so this is good! It's also interesting that doing this cut me off from possibly killing the Rattlesnake after getting the VIP card.

The Adder in Level 19 gives enough GR that I don't think greckle gates will be an issue at all any more, but maybe you'll find a way to surprise me.

06-27-2024 at 08:14 PM
azb
All of these things are intentional, including the fact the monsters are free in level 16 Entrance - there will be free monsters in level 22 as well.

The multipler in levels 23 and 24 will be 10 rather than 5 as it was for 21 and 22, and the multiplier for level 25 will be a wopping 100 so it pays to get as much greckles as you can.

The typo of "Goom" is intentional, because it's a goo-themed pun on the way the word is supposed to be spelt.

06-27-2024 at 08:29 PM
Nuntar
I should have mentioned that I haven't obtained the speed or invisibility potions yet. One obvious place to use the speed potion is on the Adder, where it would save a ton of health, but I chose to save it in case there's an even better place later. It's good to confirm that using it here is not required, so the player doesn't get into a failure state if they use it up.

Hold completed! Final stats:

HP 18977
ATK 527 (Really Big Sword)
DEF 1030
7/2/1 keys

The serpent on Level 21 seems to require use of an accessory, but any of the speed potion, invisibility potion and hand bomb can be used, so the player has a lot of choice here and that's good. I chose to use the speed potion on the serpent, saving the other two for later.

A bit of a pity that the pickaxe, portable orb, wall walking and warp token all have designated spots where they must be used; this feels a bit tutorially, which is weird when the hold has avoided this up to now. I appreciate that this late in the hold, there aren't that many great ways to use them, but you don't have to include every accessory in the game.

As there are so many accessories, it would be nice to have another inventory access space in Level 21 or thereabouts.

The altar gives a huge amount of stats. I chose to get DEF to see what that route is like, and it made everything on earlier levels free -- the Slayer still cost a bit of health, but there is plenty available since I was able to open all the greckle gates. I couldn't kill the Archivist normally, so I used the hand bomb :P

After my first altar visit, I used the VIP card to clean up leftover monsters and then made a second altar visit. I reloaded to this second visit and got ATK only. This was enough to defeat the Archivist with the sword without taking anything else from Level 25: HP 9817, ATK 747, DEF 790, expected damage is 9640. Of course, this is just a self-imposed challenge, and bombing the Archivist is clearly optimal for score.

06-27-2024 at 10:06 PM
azb
Okay, these are all great feedback points.

After I remove the parts that feel tutorially and add the inventory in level 21, do you think it would be appropriate to submit this hold officially for HA review, given that you commented on every single issue thoroughly and are an expert RPG player?

[Last edited by azb at 06-27-2024 10:32 PM : Grammar: "This", not "Those"]
06-27-2024 at 10:31 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2793
icon Re: Twenty Five Levels of Tendry (+4)  
I find it easier to give feedback by playing through it and commentating, so here's me playing the first 10 levels, which is as far as I had time for today.

06-28-2024 at 12:07 AM
azb
Regarding your comment at the end:

I intentionally kept it story free and made the rooms look simple, because I wanted the focus to be on the RPG decision making aspect of the hold and not how well I can make it have fancy decorations that distract you everywhere.

06-28-2024 at 02:19 AM
Nuntar
Level 4:
Click here to view the secret text

06-28-2024 at 03:00 AM
azb
No, I was serious, and it's good you found that because it means the level still has open ended choices like any good RPG level.

06-28-2024 at 03:34 AM
azb
I also have played Fetch the Pie, and I wanted something like it in terms of making choices, but I didn't want it to be as hard - I wanted it to be intentionally quick and simple.

06-28-2024 at 01:21 PM
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 95
This is looking good and I generally agree with the positive comments. I'd just note that, for a beginner, it's probably not as easy as you might be thinking. On my first pass, I still managed to hit the Neather on level five about 10 HP short and had to start over. The greckle doors mean you have to kill pretty much every monster, which in turn magnifies the effect of the amount of optimization you've done. That's not necessarily bad, but it's something to be aware of.
06-29-2024 at 10:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
azb
Yeah. That's intended as well, because I want it to be about 3 to 4 brains difficulty and not only 1 brain difficulty/trivial like A Test of Intelligence was.

06-29-2024 at 01:07 PM
kieranmillar
Here's the rest of my playthrough.

I'm sorry to say the hold got substantially worse as it went along. This framework of creating long lists of things to make tiny levels about is not a good approach to making fun content.
06-29-2024 at 01:53 PM
azb
I am making a quick and simple hold and not the next Fetch the Pie or Break Out of Jail!, so it's intentional there are free monsters in places or that the hold doesn't have a lot of rooms.

06-29-2024 at 06:51 PM
azb
And besides, you're using a version that isn't the latest upload at the top - I removed the parts that forced you to use accessories in one spot only or that lets you trivialize the last boss fight with the hand bomb which wasn't intended.

06-29-2024 at 06:53 PM
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 95
Given the substance of your final conversation with the Archivist, I assumed there would be a special ending with some different story for simply walking past him with the invisibility potion and was disappointed that there wasn't. It still says I vanquished the great evil, which I definitely did not. I'd suggest either introducing that possibility or putting the Archivist on a door plate/red tile/whatever to force you to kill him. If you go the latter route, I'd be inclined to still allow clever players to use the potion to walk through him to kill the two brains first, since I think that's going to be a much more effective (but not required) use of the potion than just using it to attack him or using the speed potion instead.
07-02-2024 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: Twenty Five Levels of Tendry (+4)  
azb started a conversation in HA chat but it's not great for long form posts, so I'm posting a response here instead. Before we begin, we really need to clear something up.

There seems to be this strawman in both this thread and the last that I want you to change your content to be like other holds. In this case you refer to Fetch the Pie based on an example I mentioned in my video but also Break out of Jail for some reason? I searched the forum for mentions of Break out of Jail and I can't see any mention of anyone recommending it in over a decade so I'm not sure where this has come from? (I wrote a review in its hold thread if you want to know what I think about the hold and why I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.)

Youtube gives me access to the automatic captions it makes for my videos so here's a direct, unedited quote.

I think it's honestly the best RPG work you've produced so far I think you might benefit from taking a look at other people's stuff and seeing what they do and playing a bit of that you know stuff like fetch the P for example like have you played that yet give it a go it's really good um you know just sort of get a feel of like what other people are doing and maybe you might pick up on some things but like so far yeah I mean substantial improvement over what there is before so that's really cool

Thanks Youtube! Alright the captioning isn't very good lol. But I think it's clear here that this is just an example off the top of my head of just saying that you should look at some other RPG content. The reason I said this is because it comes across that you have absolutely no idea what you are doing in RPG. It comes across in your work that you haven't played it before and only have a cursory understanding of what things do but not how it plays, fundamentally. This might not be true, but that's the feeling you get when you play it.

I also don't really understand why you think I, of all people, want people to make the RPG content similar to each other, I ran the two Year of RPG contests that produced the most variety and unusual RPG content out there of all the published holds. I love it when people come up with fresh stuff. The irony is not lost on me that one of those contests had someone create a complete copy of Tower of the Sorcerer's first 10 floors with a rejigged but otherwise practically identical layout, the opposite of fresh RPG content, and that person was you.

OK, glad we got that out of the way.

-----

You are upset that I called your hold low-effort slop at the end of the second video. I stand by this statement. You say that your content is the way it is because you want it to be simple and elegant in its design. You don't want any other niceties like decoration or story to get in the way of its elegant simplicity.

Earlier in one of the videos I said it felt like speed architecture. I say this because, literally, it looks like speed architecture. The published hold Goblin Hollow is speed architecture, go take a look, here's a video if you want to see what it looks like without downloading it: https://youtu.be/MJuaCDDNEp4

Notice that the hold is made up of just checkerboard floor and walls, no obstacles or anything like that, just keys, stats, monsters, health, very little other parts. All the passageways are one tile wide. This is very similar to your hold! I would go so far as to say the style is basically identical. It's the most basic thing you can create in RPG.

Goblin Hollow gets away with it because it's speed architecture. The whole gimmick is it was made quickly so it had no time to do anything else, that's its excuse. It also gets away with it because bomber50 understands RPG gameplay and the hold is very fun to play. I would seriously recommend a beginner play Goblin Hollow way before I would ever suggest they play any of your RPG holds, because the gameplay is easy and simple and fun, while yours is basically a mess, and many of the decisions make absolutely no sense, or are really boring non-decisions.

For a hold that isn't supposed to be speed architecture, there's really no excuse for this design. It's lazy. Beginners don't actually have issues playing holds that look nice or have story or that sort of thing, it doesn't distract them, this is not how people's brains work. Your work is low-effort slop, literally, that's what it is. This is not "elegant" design. It's ugly, it looks bad, and it gives off the impression that you simply don't care, that the person who downloaded it was an idiot for trusting you to provide them with something worth playing.

-----

At first I was complementary that your hold seemed a lot better, but as I got deeper into the hold, it was clear that this was basically an accident. At the start of the hold the player is very resource constrained so the tough decisions naturally stem from this. This falls apart as the hold progresses and the design of your hold falls back on the same style as A Test of Intelligence. It even has the complained-about long chains of greckle doors because you still haven't worked out that the default monster greckle gains vastly outpace the scaling of the greckle doors, so you have to wander through really long chains of doors while having thousands of spare greckles, the silliest and most low-effort way of trying to deal with this. Of course there's no payoff for hoarding greckles or anything, the altar doesn't even use greckles, so it descends into farce.

There are decisions in the hold that are so obviously nonsensical that the only response, honestly, is to laugh. What's up with the brains locked behind two yellow doors that only cause the enemy to deal 10 damage anyway? It's just easy spare keys that contributes to the resource glut. I notice you never addressed the issue of hiding HP potions under the brains (although they don't really matter in this case anyway, this option is still terrible)

Why does the altar have its options be 40 ATK, 30 DEF or 200 HP? In your own playtesting, did you pick the HP option ever, and did it feel like a good idea? I assume you playtested right? You played through and tried various options to see how it felt and if the options didn't make you immediately feel like an idiot for choosing it. Why 200 HP? Of course, the answer is obvious, you didn't test these and/or you have no idea what you're doing.

What's your response to the problem of skippable scorepoints on the equipment? Do you even understand why these are an issue?

Why a blue door to skip past the one hot tile? What made you feel like this was an appropriate cost? How many times in your own playtesting did you cross over this hot tile, and what sort of damage were you taking?

-----

And to make matters worse, it's not even that it's low-effort. It's also repetitive and predictable. At least if the hold was short it would be bearable, but it just goes on and on, and every level feels the same.

There are bosses that strike up conversations, but the conversations are basically identical. "I'll defeat you Stalwart" "Not if I can help it" or words to those effects. Every time. Also, wasn't this supposed to be too much of a distraction or something?

Each level is the entrance room with a yellow key behind monsters and a yellow door with a large health potion, a room with a stupid chain of 15 greckle gates, a room with that level's single instance of its gimmick, and a boss room with the exit. Some stats and / or equipment is sprinkled in there. Basically every time.

In the video I started being able to predict what would happen. "There's going to be an aumtlich soon" (next level had an aumtlich). "I'm probably going to get a VIP card next" (literally the next room had a VIP card).

-----

The impression that I get is that you are so adamant in trying to make content for newer beginner players because you find RPG too difficult for you, and you want to like it, but you actually have no idea how to play it, or understand why people play it, and that is actually why it's difficult for you.

The holds you make are pumped out in time comparable to speed architecture for its length with the bare minimum effort and no attempt to balance things, and then you want other people to playtest it for you and expect that people are going to produce a small list of individual points to make for some minor tweaks, and can't handle it when the feedback is just that it's overall really bad. Which it is.

I've been doing level design as a hobby for various games for almost 3 decades now, putting it out there and getting feedback, and a consistent takeaway is that the absolute worst type of content you can produce for creative media is when it is both mass-produced and low-effort. Nobody is impressed by holds being large if the quality is not there. I said in one of your other threads you should focus more on quality instead of quantity. I really do mean it. Stop producing low-effort slop and slow down. If your holds took the same time to make but were a fifth of the size and you focussed more on making it good instead of trying to fulfill these epically long and boring lists of ideas your content would be so much better for it.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 07-02-2024 12:31 AM]
07-02-2024 at 12:26 AM
azb
Yeah, exactly. I make the holds intentionally beginner oriented and not some hold you have to optomize every single detail no matter what, and I already explained my thought process to Nuntar about the hot tile earlier - it's intentional the choice is that way for optimization reasons.

I suppose I can add some obstacles here and there, but I stand by having lighting everywhere like in the harder holds you like to play will make looking at the level slightly harder/more annoying, and you didn't mention Break Out of Jail! but it's a classic example of the DROD RPG holds most expert RPG players like to play, just like Fetch the Pie which you did mention.

I want the hold to focus on the actual combat and mechanics first and foremost, and having tons of decorations and long winded story everywhere would distract from what I want to do, but I suppose if I want to focus on only the mechanics I can remove the dialogue.

The greckle gate chains are intentional, and Nuntar liked them and only you seem to have a gripe with them just because they're long winded, even though I made sure to use the multiplier appropriately to compensate for the fact the monsters give more greckles as you go down - note exactly how big the mulitplier is on the last couple of levels.

The choice about having a brain that would be ridiculous to kill is intentional, because I want to teach the player to avoid making silly decisions like that in order to optomize their gameplay, as Nuntar mentioned when he observed it earlier, just like he already observed the hot tile issue.

My response to the fact the scorepoints on the equipment are skippable is that it is intentional - I don't want to force the player to pick them up in a linear fashion, but rather I just want to save if they pick it up in general.

The altar I can remove the HP thing on given you get tons of HP already in the hold, and I admit I was just doing it because I felt like having an HP option was something I had to do for altars without thinking it through.

Again, if you point out actual issues like you are doing now and Nuntar did I can understand, but accusing me of posting slop without actually specifying why it's bad is just a personal attack and would not be well recieved by anyone, especially if they are actually trying to put in effort to make something decent like me and not just posting random monsters everywhere war style.

07-02-2024 at 10:36 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1333
azb wrote:
My response to the fact the scorepoints on the equipment are skippable is that it is intentional - I don't want to force the player to pick them up in a linear fashion, but rather I just want to save if they pick it up in general.

You misunderstand the purpose of scorepoints entirely. That's like saying, "I put conquer tokens in empty rooms so that they remain scoreable". The purpose of scorepoints is to allow players to compete on optimization at various points throughout the hold.

Intentionally putting in skippable scorepoints is saying either, "I think it's an interesting challenge to skip this" or "I think my hold is so good that you'll want to play it twice". Given that it's not an interesting challenge (because the hold is easy enough), it definitely feels like a lack of respect for the player.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 07-02-2024 04:31 PM]
07-02-2024 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Oh, now I understand why scorepoints are used like that in shorter holds - I thought it was just a customary thing to put them after a boss fight or picking up equipment.

07-02-2024 at 04:27 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Twenty Five Levels of Tendry (A 25 Level Hold, with about 4 rooms each level)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com