Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : A problem with fonts
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Glebasya
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon A problem with fonts (+2)  
Some time ago I decided to complete the Russian translation of DROD. To do this, I needed to get a Cyrillic font file. I have remembered that the demo version of TSS had no problems with Cyrillic letters. Then I replaced font file in Steam version of GatEB with font file from TSS demo, and it worked. After that, there were no problems. When I launched the game today, I noticed that the text in menu was "compressed", and in other places it has been moved up a little. Steam says that the game content was updated when I launched it. To recreate my problem, you need to: 1) get a Steam version of DROD: GatEB; 2) get a demo version of DROD: TSS; 3) copy file "tomnr.ttf" from "Fonts" folder of TSS demo; 4) replace the same file in GatEB.
11-18-2023 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1072
icon Re: A problem with fonts (+5)  
This is a problem with the font file. Older versions of the font library used by DROD ignored the "Really use Typo metrics" flag found in TrueTypeFont fonts. Older versions of tomnr.ttf have that flag enabled, but do not set appropriate values for it. This causes problems.

If newer versions of tomnr.ttf lack Cyrillic characters, that's also a problem, but it's not one Caravel can solve as they can only redistribute unmodified versions of the font files as produced by the font's creator.

It is possible to use a font editing program such as Font Forge to edit the older font version to remove the "Really use Typo metrics" flag. This fixes the text display issues.

11-18-2023 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Glebasya
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: A problem with fonts (+3)  
I did what you suggested, and now it works as before. Thanks for your help.
11-18-2023 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : A problem with fonts
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No