Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : The Tidings Of Minos (I'm running a Kickstarter for something cool!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon The Tidings Of Minos (+5)  
I haven't really been around here much lately, but this community is where I first got my feet wet with creating puzzles. Recently I've taken what I learned here and used it to become a well known and respected creator of variant sudoku puzzles. You can find some 15 of my puzzles featured on the Cracking The Cryptic YouTube channel.

It may be less well known here that I am also a writer. Earlier this year I invented a genre that combines some of those sudokus with a National Treasure-style adventure. The first story in this genre was a novella called The Jewels Of Osiris, an adventure based in Egyptian mythology and told in the second person (i.e. 'You' do this, etc), and any time the protagonist reached a point where they had to figure something out to make progress, the reader got to solve puzzles and enter the solution in order to open the next part of the story. This made it a very immersive experience.

The Jewels Of Osiris was released as a Cracking The Cryptic Patreon reward in May, and people really liked it, so I've decided to try to continue the story. To that end, I've started a Kickstarter campaign for it's Greek mythology-based sequel The Tidings Of Minos. It will begin on the island of Crete, being the location of the myth of the Minotaur, and who knows where it will go from there? Kickstarter named it a "Project We Love" on its second day, so I guess they think it's pretty cool.

I'm super excited about this project, and I really want it to succeed. If it sounds like something you're interested in, or if you know someone who might be, please consider backing and sharing it. I'd love to see this get off the ground so the Protagonist's story can continue.

06-30-2023 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: The Tidings Of Minos (+2)  
That sounds cool. Also I love the idea of writing in second person, as an edgy teen I wrote a few roguelike-like stories written in second person so bonus points from my edgy past.

Some questions though:
* How will you adapt the password-protected PDFs to the paper format?
* Will there be a PDF of the print version available? Maybe as a separate backing tier or an addon? I am not convinced I want the paperback now (and also with shipping it's fairly expensivier) but it would be cool to have an option to print it locally if I like it enough!
* Will there be an ebook reader version friendlier than PDF?

06-30-2023 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
icon Re: The Tidings Of Minos (+1)  
The print version will have the puzzles placed in the correct spots, but everything will be there to read freely. It's kind of hard to gate printed content behind a puzzle. There are no plans to make that version available as a PDF or in an ereader version - print only. PDFs are easy to distribute and free to make, and basically everyone can open them, so sticking with a single format for the digital version is pretty ideal.

Thank you for your interest!

07-01-2023 at 04:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
The CtC discord is great for logic puzzles in general and I saw this thing there.

Is this mainly sudoku? Because I'm one of those weirdos who likes the vast majority of pencil logic puzzles but not sudoku.

07-01-2023 at 10:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
icon Re: The Tidings Of Minos (0)  
The first one was all sudoku. I actually haven't decided yet for this one. I do have some non-sudoku ideas, but as I don't yet know whether the project will be funded I haven't developed any of them yet.

07-01-2023 at 12:42 PM
DiMono
Dischorran wrote:
The CtC discord is great for logic puzzles in general and I saw this thing there.

Is this mainly sudoku? Because I'm one of those weirdos who likes the vast majority of pencil logic puzzles but not sudoku.

I can now say with great certainty that the puzzles in The Tidings Of Minos will include a variety of pencil puzzles.

07-17-2023 at 07:37 AM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Bumping this for awareness. Only three days left, very close to reaching the goal. I think this is a really cool project and would love to see it funded!
07-23-2023 at 01:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Quickly going to mention that only people who back the project will get to read/solve it. This isn't funding something for public distribution, it's going to be backers-only.

07-23-2023 at 03:13 PM
DiMono
icon Re: The Tidings Of Minos (+6)  
Hey, it got funded a few hours ago. Now it's all about stretch goals!

07-25-2023 at 03:48 AM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Great to hear. Congrats!
07-26-2023 at 12:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jordthro
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 101
icon Re: The Tidings Of Minos (0)  
DiMono wrote:
Hey, it got funded a few hours ago. Now it's all about stretch goals!

Congratulations, DiMono!!! That's great news!!! I hope you and your family all have Happy Holidays and/or a Merry Christmas.

I hope you never stop writing for "Cracking the Cryptic" either. Your stories are always great to read.

12-23-2023 at 11:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : The Tidings Of Minos (I'm running a Kickstarter for something cool!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com