Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : NaDRODArchMo 8 (It's that arbitrary time of year again!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2453
IP: Logged
icon NaDRODArchMo 8 (+3)  
The subject of NaDRODArchMo came up in chat and that's as good an excuse as any to have another one.

For those unfamiliar, NaDRODArchMo (National DROD Architecture Month) is an irregular activity where participants attempt to make at least 30 rooms in a month, which is one room a day. It is not in a consistent month, so sometimes it's in a month with 31 days. When that happens, you are free to use or ignore the extra day as you see fit.

This is even less formal than most events here. There are no particular rules, it's just a goal. The idea is to just make rooms with no particular consideration of quality and see what you end up with. Once the rooms are made, you're free to do whatever you want with them. Put them in other holds you're working on, publish them, ignore them - whatever you want. They're your rooms, after all.

Sometimes people like to make a post in the NaDRODArchMo thread and attach their hold in it, updating it throughout the month. However, if you'd like to make a separate thread, you can do that too. There are no real rules for this, there are only traditions, which you can follow or ignore as you please.

The event will be formally starting on July 1. Nobody's going to complain if you start early, though. Or late, for that matter.
06-23-2023 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel

File: Rooms Were Made To Be Broken.hold (8.5 KB)
Downloaded 20 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: NaDRODArchMo 8 (+3)  
It's July, time to kick this off!

Here's the hold I'll be working on, and a log of my progress.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 07-31-2023 02:26 AM]
07-01-2023 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1568

File: Everybody Hates Beethro.hold (12.1 KB)
Downloaded 24 times.
icon Re: NaDRODArchMo 8 (+2)  
I decided to try to participate.

Current state of the hold is some vague framework and three rooms so far--but don't get too excited at that number. The basic idea here is small, simple, easy (therefore, easy-to-build hopefully!), but with a little trick to each room...at least at first, anyway. Oh, and the theme is that everybody hates Beethro.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-20-2023 08:09 PM]
07-01-2023 at 07:02 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1332

File: Accelerated Flooding.hold (7.1 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
I'm going to attempt to make 28 rooms (but it'll probably be less, because of the theme - we'll see if I can make the last few work). Unlike some other/previous attempts, these rooms will all be on the same theme.

Oh, and as there is a dearth of combat rooms in modern DROD, these will likely all be about efficiency in clearing out tar.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 07-25-2023 04:34 AM]
07-02-2023 at 04:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4680
As I'm working on endgame EP content at the moment, I won't post my rooms publicly, but I'll keep a log to help encourage myself to keep up with a one-room-per-day rate (which I have always fallen behind in past Nanos).

[Last edited by Nuntar at 07-30-2023 05:08 AM]
07-02-2023 at 04:46 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 748
icon Re: NaDRODArchMo 8 (+1)  
"I have a hold that's about an hour away from being ready for testing." -mauvebutterfly circa January 1st, 2023

I'm not going to be posting or updating in this thread every day, but I am partaking in this since it's ridiculous how long some of my architecture has been sitting untouched.

The goal is to sort out some stuff for EP, which I'll be posting about on the EP forum as I make progress, as well as to get two of my holds (one RPG and one regular DROD) in a state where they are content finished and looking for testers. Both these holds are so close to done that I'm embarrassed that I haven't just finished them already, so getting them done this month seems like a reasonable goal.

07-02-2023 at 06:47 AM
Xindaris
icon Re: NaDRODArchMo 8 (0)  
Today's update fixes a blindingly obvious leak in the entrance, and adds 1E. 1E lacks the idea of a "trick" that the first few rooms have, but I kind of like it anyway. Guess I'll either come up with something or decide it's OK as-is later.

07-02-2023 at 03:02 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4680

File: silly room.hold (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
I decided to share this one. This is an unfinished room; completable, but much too hard, so I am in the process of deciding how to tone it down. However, if any masochists feel like having a go at this version, feel free!

07-03-2023 at 06:17 AM
Dragon Fogel

File: sr the room The Entrance Victory.demo (30.5 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
Solved, took a few tries to get a viable opening. When I finally did, though, standard guard tactics got me through.

Demo provided, maybe it will help you figure out a way to tweak this to get to that point a little more easily.
07-03-2023 at 07:14 AM
Xindaris
Everybody now hates Beethro in 1S, too. With today's room, I feel like I'm getting a bit farther away from the initial idea of "easy" rooms, although I still think the difficulty is medium-easy at worst. Anyway, I used a tiny bit of scripting in this room to fake something that seems like it should just work, but a player who doesn't poke around or pay too much attention hopefully won't even notice (and definitely won't need to!).

Edit (7/5): I didn't add any new rooms yesterday for American Independence Day-related reasons, but I did add scripting for challenges to 1N, 1W, 1E, and 1S. I have completed the challenges in 1N and 1S myself, but the 1W and 1E ones just seem like something someone better than me at dealing with the respective monster-types could manage. I can always remove them later if they're actually impossible. Anyway, today I added 1N1W, and I think I'm abandoning "easy" altogether with this one--not that it's ultra-super-hard, but it's definitely not beginner level anyway (three words: chainless brained gentryii). But I still really like the trick it has.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-05-2023 04:42 PM]
07-03-2023 at 05:06 PM
Someone Else
Fogel, I played your rooms. Comments!

07-06-2023 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel

07-06-2023 at 12:09 AM
Someone Else

07-06-2023 at 12:20 AM
Dragon Fogel

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 07-06-2023 12:40 AM]
07-06-2023 at 12:38 AM
Xindaris
I'm not sure whether I should actually be bumping the thread with each new update to Everybody Hates Beethro, so I'll just..use this post, I guess, since it might make it hard to read if I go edit older posts at this point.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-20-2023 08:11 PM]
07-06-2023 at 07:07 PM
Someone Else
Xindaris, I played your rooms. Comments!

07-09-2023 at 09:55 PM
Xindaris
Hey, thanks Someone Else. First I should just say that the lack of scrolls advertising the challenges (which I've only come up with and scripted for 1N, 1E, 1W, and 1S so far) is just because the level's incomplete and I haven't decided exactly how I want to handle that yet (the possible text of some challenges might spoil something I want players to experience their first time in a room), besides the fact that I'm not sure that all of them are actually possible.

Some more specific/spoilerish stuff:

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-10-2023 03:39 AM]
07-10-2023 at 03:20 AM
Someone Else

File: EHB Demos.rar (5.4 KB)
Downloaded 20 times.
Pair of challenge complete demos, coming right up! (They're attached). In 1W, I can't find a way to have the horn make things easier. :P

Maybe this is a slayer bug, then? The door closed on the wisp, but the slayer also moved on the same turn because of proximity to me, so the slayer didn't go open the door. Got it now.

I might need a bigger hint for 1S1E.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 07-10-2023 06:28 AM]
07-10-2023 at 06:26 AM
Xindaris
Thanks for the demos!

I happened to notice that if the door closes on the wisp and the slayer is close enough to be trying to "sword-fight", then you can still make him go open a door afterward by turning around so that he would have a killshot if he could get to you. But I think I'll just edit the note slightly to imply that he should be farther away, since that's easier to understand in my opinion.

For 1S1E, some hopefully progressive hints:

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-10-2023 05:05 PM]
07-10-2023 at 05:02 PM
Someone Else
Yeah, still not seeing it.

07-10-2023 at 08:52 PM
Xindaris
It's definitely not a magic sequence. Maybe this will help?

07-10-2023 at 09:35 PM
Someone Else
Up to 16 rooms! Short of the target, but still an accomplishment. I'm just bumping the thread for motivation's sake.
07-25-2023 at 04:35 AM
Dragon Fogel
30 rooms made, and that's not even counting work I did for Entry Point! Hope things went well for other participants.
07-31-2023 at 02:26 AM
Spleen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
I found out that last month was that ephemerally architectural one just a smidgeon too late. I wanted to do it properly, so I started in August instead.

I'll keep a log here, and post something playable once I've got a full level.

13: It was at this point that Bill Gates decided to break my computer, so I had to take a break until next month. Software updates were a good idea and I love that I can't prevent them!

[Last edited by Spleen at 09-10-2023 01:17 PM]
08-03-2023 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : NaDRODArchMo 8 (It's that arbitrary time of year again!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com