Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Makin' a dumb puzzlescript game
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Makin' a dumb puzzlescript game (0)  
Hey,

I've been slowly cobbling together a puzzlescript game in some recent spare time, just for fun. It's about using bombs irresponsibly. I figured there isn't much point if nobody ever plays it, so I thought I'd share a link here: https://xindaris.itch.io/explosives

There aren't very many levels finished, but I'm okay-ish with the presentation and some of the basic mechanics so far, at least. Well, leave feedback if you want.

EDIT:

I made another, different game, called "Spooks!". It is about running away from ghosts, and it's here: https://xindaris.itch.io/spooks .
There's only 9 levels so far, but I think I have a couple of interesting ideas going on. And it's (sort of) just in time for Halloween?

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 10-25-2023 05:20 PM]
04-22-2023 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
icon Re: Makin' a dumb puzzlescript game (+1)  
Yeah, this was fun! I think the only improvement I'd want to see (aside from more levels) is more clearly being able to indicate what was under an occupied square. You can kind of tell when there's crumbling ground under something, but goals are completely hidden. It makes planning hard to do a whole thing and only then be able to see what you should have been planning for.

That made me think that, if it's possible to assign both characteristics to a space, there might be some fun in having destroyable goal squares.
04-23-2023 at 09:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Makin' a dumb puzzlescript game (0)  
Huh, I thought it was the other way around, with cracked floors hard to see under bombs and such. A goal is indicated entirely by a white "frame" around the visual area that a crate would occupy, specifically so that you can tell when it's a goal+crate square. Bombs also only take up a few of those "outer frame" pixels for the same reason. Well, I have been thinking that that white color doesn't stand out so well against the regular floor colors, so maybe changing it to something bluer will help it stand out better?

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-23-2023 03:20 PM]
04-23-2023 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Alright, I tried blue but it was even worse. So, they're neon green now!

And I liked the idea of blowing up excess targets, so there's a level about that now.

04-24-2023 at 05:10 PM
Xindaris
Pfft, I've been writing devlog posts on itch.io, but only today realized that they were all still in 'draft' status and nobody could see them! So, that's fixed now; there have been a couple of updates since my last post here about it, but I have no desire to spam this thread every time.

05-03-2023 at 06:02 PM
Gordius
There's no good way to identify levels once you're in them (since the title's gone), but I got as far as the one with three boxes to destroy, one of which is behind three destroyable walls. I'm enjoying the new levels. I even think there's one more version of the deja vu puzzles you could implement:

05-04-2023 at 03:50 PM
Xindaris
icon Re: Makin' a dumb puzzlescript game (+2)  
Yeah, puzzlescript has a way to display messages either between levels or when a given event happens within the level, but no way to just display a level name during the level that I can find. Anyway, that level is pretty close to the end of the set I have in the game so far. Let me know if you particularly want a hint.

05-04-2023 at 08:31 PM
Gordius
Yeah, I'd love a hint. What I'd like to do is

but I can't even create a setup to test whether that mechanic would work, to say nothing of a setup where it solves the actual problem.

The more I think about it, the more I think that would be exactly the same as just putting the second bomb in that location in the first place, before I set anything off. So it's not a clever ploy, it's just overcomplicating something that I couldn't make work the simple way.
05-08-2023 at 12:50 AM
Xindaris
Well, exploding crates/bombs doesn't make new fire (I don't consider that worth secreting). The basic idea of that room is like one of the really early ones where you

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-09-2023 04:46 AM]
05-09-2023 at 04:42 AM
Gordius
That's what I was calling "the simple way" in my last post. So it sounds like my problem is in the shuffling. Blowing up the first two is easy, but I can't get anything in a position to blow up the third wall, because (as you note) you can't multipush big bombs.
05-09-2023 at 09:24 AM
Xindaris

File: attache.PNG (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 242 times.
License: Public Domain
I think in that case, it might help to show how you can get all of the east bombs over to the west end of the room, once those first two walls are gone.

If you get into this position:

...then you can push that big bomb west twice, south twice, then go the long way around to shove it west. Then the north small bomb is free to shove west also, and the south pair can be done very similarly.

It's kind of amazing how cumbersome the big bombs feel when all they're really doing is enforcing some amount of "normal sokobon thinking" in a game where you can otherwise push chains of things along freely.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-09-2023 05:51 PM]
05-09-2023 at 05:47 PM
Gordius
Thanks! Somehow my brain completely missed that

05-11-2023 at 06:59 AM
mauve
Rank Points: 30
Cute puzzle game, did it all in about an hour, with a good chunk of that on 18. Felt like straightforward sokoban once you can figure out what board state you want to create, for the most part.

The only real note I have is that having the text popup when you 'die' is really flow breaking since you have to drop everything else in your thought process to go over and press X, as undo doesn't work on that screen even though you're probably already pressing it. It's really a minor nitpick in the grand scheme of things, so don't worry about it.

My designer brain wants an element that gets pushed back by explosions but isn't destroyed by them, like a rolling metal ball or something. Probably out of scope for how stuff works though.

05-13-2023 at 07:17 AM
Xindaris
I could certainly remove the death messages if it doesn't feel like they're adding anything meaningful. I mean, I guess it's kind of obvious you should just undo or restart when pushing the buttons doesn't do anything?

05-13-2023 at 05:44 PM
Xindaris
Wow, I thought I removed the death messages ages ago; turns out I forgot to actually make that update on the uploaded game. Oh well, at least it's done now...

Anyway, I made another puzzlescript game back when I was near to running out of ideas for "Explosives!", but never felt like I'd gotten far enough to say anything about it. That has changed now, so rather than spamming with a brand new thread, I'll just stick a link to it up on the first post. Check it out if you're interested.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 10-25-2023 05:17 PM]
10-25-2023 at 05:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Makin' a dumb puzzlescript game
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com