Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug(s) in 5.1.1.459 release candidate (Challenge: only move diagonally)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon Bug(s) in 5.1.1.459 release candidate (+2)  
mrimer wrote:
Here's a CaravelNet-enabled RC patch for Windows.

Please post new topics with any issues that need to be fixed for an official 5.1.1 release.

In the words of the immortal nephew: here I am again.

I use Windows; my current DROD is 5.1.0.6505. When I try to download Treacle Stew, halfway through it pauses, and then DROD crashes completely. But this is not a thread for 5.1.0 bugs.

I downloaded the zipfile attached to the above post, and replaced the files in my DROD folder with them. Opened DROD, confirmed that it's running 5.1.1.459. This time, when I try to download Treacle Stew, halfway through it pauses, and then DROD crashes completely.

Also, the game completely fails to recognize my keypad-2/4/6/8 keys. As in: when I resume the game I had been playing, keypad-7 moved me NW, and keypad-9 moved me NE, as always, but keypad-8 did absolutely nothing. I went into settings; everything was still set as normal (keypad-1 through keypad-9). When I clicked "NW" and pressed keypad-7, it continued being keypad-7. When I clicked "N" and pressed keypad-8, it replaced its existing binding with...nothing. It was like I'd hit cancel or something, and left it with no keybinding at all.

So that's fun! Restoring the 5.1.0.6505 files brings me back to normal (keypad working; downloading TS still crashing the system).
12-27-2022 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Bug(s) in 5.1.1.459 release candidate (+2)  
The issue with the numpad is possibly the thing I also encountered, namely that it no longer recognizes the orthogonal directions on the numpad unless numlock is on. This is...apparently not a bug, if so; you just have to toggle numlock on to play DROD.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-27-2022 05:24 AM]
12-27-2022 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Bug(s) in 5.1.1.459 release candidate (+1)  
Try removing or renaming your drod-5_0 data folder before running the game. Does Treacle Stew still crash?

On Mac this folder is located at /Users/you/Library/Application Support/Caravel/drod-5_0/

On Windows it should be in C:\ProgramData\Caravel\drod-5_0\

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-27-2022 05:48 AM]
12-27-2022 at 05:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
icon Re: Bug(s) in 5.1.1.459 release candidate (+1)  
disoriented wrote:
Try removing or renaming your drod-5_0 data folder before running the game. Does Treacle Stew still crash?
Wait, removing that folder means that when I open DROD, it doesn't even know who I am (which means it's certainly not going to know who I am on CaravelNet, that I've bought TS, etc.). I could go through the rigamarole of creating a new profile, getting a new CaravelNet key, and so forth, but at that point we've drifted pretty far from my goal, which is "maintain my player profile and, also, play Treacle Stew (and, also, be able to move in cardinal directions)".
12-27-2022 at 06:06 AM
Tahnan
Xindaris wrote:
The issue with the numpad is possibly the thing I also encountered, namely that it no longer recognizes the orthogonal directions on the numpad unless numlock is on. This is...apparently not a bug, if so; you just have to toggle numlock on to play DROD.
In fact, if I turn on NumLock, I can indeed use the orthogonal directions again.

That's still a bug. Not a game-stopping bug, but failing to recognize (half of) the numpad keys with NumLock turned off is totally a bug.
12-27-2022 at 06:09 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Bug(s) in 5.1.1.459 release candidate (0)  
Wait, removing that folder means that when I open DROD, it doesn't even know who I am (which means it's certainly not going to know who I am on CaravelNet, that I've bought TS, etc.). I could go through the rigamarole of creating a new profile, getting a new CaravelNet key, and so forth, but at that point we've drifted pretty far from my goal, which is "maintain my player profile and, also, play Treacle Stew (and, also, be able to move in cardinal directions)".

The idea is to see if the problem is with the application or some kind of corruption in your data folder. After the test you can put back the drod-5_0 folder.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
12-27-2022 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Bug(s) in 5.1.1.459 release candidate (+3)  
I looked up online, and the numpad not working properly is a regression in sdl2 v2.0.12, and DROD needs to update it to at least v2.0.14 to fix.

(This info for developers, not Tahnan)
12-27-2022 at 08:21 AM
kieranmillar
I have upgraded SDL2 to the latest version locally and it is in fact not a regression, and made no difference. It is intended that with numlock off, the numpad keys do the other function printed on them rather than act like numbers.

However, this only seems to happen for the arrows, the other functions like PgUp and Home still act like numbers when numlock is off. So I guess I'll look to see if there's another way to fix this.
12-27-2022 at 10:18 AM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
When DROD crashes, it will hopefully have added some lines to the drod.err file. This should live in the place where the DROD data lives, which by default is C:/ProgramData/Caravel/drod-5_0. Open that in your favourite text editor program and look for anything written around the time you tried to import Treacle Stew. If you post this information, it is only useful if you also say which version you were running when the error messages were added to the error log.

12-27-2022 at 10:50 AM
kieranmillar
icon Re: Bug(s) in 5.1.1.459 release candidate (+3)  
PR 474 updates SDL2 and SDL2 TTF dependencies and recognises arrow keys when keybound to the appropriate numpad number, and vice versa.
12-27-2022 at 11:43 AM
Tahnan
hyperme wrote:
When DROD crashes, it will hopefully have added some lines to the drod.err file.
You would hope so! Not, unfortunately, in this case.
12-28-2022 at 03:38 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Kieran's new PR

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-15-2023 at 10:19 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug(s) in 5.1.1.459 release candidate (Challenge: only move diagonally)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com