Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Attachment's in PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
IP: Logged
icon Attachment's in PM (0)  
It would be very convenient if we could attach a file in a Private Message. Instead of e-mailing people contest entries, maybe we can just PM them with the attached file. Less hassle, efficient.

Comments?

[Edited by Stuwy at Local Time:12-19-2004 at 12:48 AM]
12-12-2004 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Attachment's in PM (+1)  
There's a lot of good uses for attachments in PMs, but they can also serve as a tool for file-sharing exploits. A person could create two accounts, send a file from one account to another, then publish account username/password on some warez site for anybody to use. In fact, a lot of warez sites are nothing more than a list of links to other sites where files are illegally stashed away without the site runner's knowledge. It's a little hard to see what is going on with PMs, because they are private. Some alternatives to sending attachments via PMs:

1. If the file has general value, post it on the forum and PM your buddy with a link to the post's file attachment.

2. Get your buddy's e-mail through PM and e-mail the file directly to him.

-Erik

12-12-2004 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Attachment's in PM (0)  
I recall Schik also saying at one point that you're not allowed to send a file in PM because it would eat up way too much space in the database, given how many members there are here. Another option if you want to get that file to that friend you have:

Find a post of yours that's buried deep in the forum somewhere, attach the file, and then send your friend to that post. Once he's downloaded it, which you'll be able to tell because the downloads counter will increment, simply remove the file, and nobody will be the wiser.

12-13-2004 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
DiMono wrote:
I recall Schik also saying at one point that you're not allowed to send a file in PM because it would eat up way too much space in the database, given how many members there are here.
More to the point, for attachments, I can look through them all and delete older ones if we get to the point where we need to do so. With attachments in PMs, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing the same.... that P does stand for private, after all. Just a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened.

... and yeah, what Erik said too.

12-13-2004 at 02:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Attachment's in PM (+2)  
If you really are desperate, open the file to be attached in hex editor and send the hexadecimal code as a private message (don't forget to mention the file name). Then, the other dude can copy the message into a blank file, rename it and voila!

Worse than e-mail, but better than avian carriers!

12-13-2004 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Wouldn't it be easier to upload the file somewhere and pm the adress?

But I still prefer e-mail...
12-13-2004 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Black Strider
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 8
icon Re: Attachment's in PM (-1)  
Yo
The hack On Infantry,Does the Anti ban Thingy Work If So How do u use it? Cause I was having fun with it and i got banned, so if there is away i can get unbanned can u Reply Either u or anyone.

Thanks for the Help

-=Black Strider=- ;)

12-20-2004 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Huh? This makes absolutely no sense in the context of this message. I advise you to read the post thoroughly...there are no hacks on this board, especially none relating to Infantry and being unbanned from that game (I assume). Please don't post about this again.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-20-2004 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Black Strider wrote:
Yo
The hack On Infantry,Does the Anti ban Thingy Work If So How do u use it? Cause I was having fun with it and i got banned, so if there is away i can get unbanned can u Reply Either u or anyone.

Thanks for the Help

-=Black Strider=- ;)
Eh?

What "anti-ban thingy", and for what? The DROD Forum?

Perhaps a little more explanation is required, although if you were banned by the DROD Forum moderators before, then you may be banned again if you perform the same things you did under your last account.

12-20-2004 at 11:08 PM
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
Black Strider wrote:

The hack On Infantry

Is this a halo reference? The only results for "hack On Infantry" from google are related to halo, the FPS.
12-21-2004 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Attachment's in PM (+2)  
This is almost certainly a troll poster making meaningless posts just for the heck of it. I'd recommend against trying to make sense of his post as that'll just encourage him and his ilk in the future.

If I'm wrong and for some reason the poster thought he's making a relevant post, I'd say the burden of proof is on him to clarify that, not on the rest of the community to interpret him.

12-21-2004 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Black Strider
icon Re: Attachment's in PM (-1)  
patmo98 wrote:
Black Strider wrote:

The hack On Infantry

Is this a halo reference? The only results for "hack On Infantry" from google are related to halo, the FPS.

YAR THE HACK ON INFANTRY U KNOE HOW TO USE IT???
;)
12-21-2004 at 02:21 PM
Black Strider
Oneiromancer wrote:
Huh? This makes absolutely no sense in the context of this message. I advise you to read the post thoroughly...there are no hacks on this board, especially none relating to Infantry and being unbanned from that game (I assume). Please don't post about this again.

Game on,

Srry man I wont Post about it again My Apology
12-21-2004 at 02:23 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
So, it appears my "troll" hypothesis is disconfirmed and replaced by the "total lack of netiquette" hypothesis instead. Just in case you still are reading this -

You not only posted this in the wrong board (it belongs in "Electronic Games"), you also posted it inside a topic that has nothing to do with it.

Furthermore, these forums do not condone illegal activities. If you got banned for using a hack in an online game, you won't get any help here. Please read the FAQ before posting here again.

Are you just randomly going through web forums posting in inappropriate places?

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:12-21-2004 at 02:29 PM]

12-21-2004 at 02:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Attachment's in PM
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com