Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD 5.2 Bootleg Alpha for Windows (Very early access alpha)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1062
IP: Logged

File: drod.5.2_446z.zip (2 MB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Public Domain
icon DROD 5.2 Bootleg Alpha for Windows (+3)  
Do you like DROD? Do you want to help test new features? Or just get access to them?

Well I have a DROD 5.2 alpha build for people to poke around with, zipped up and ready to go. But before you go, please read the following information.

Most changes are documented in the 5.2 section here.

Early access caveats

5.2 is major version update. It can read profiles and holds from older versions, but profiles and holds exported by 5.2 can't be imported by older versions.

You should make a copy of your current DROD directory, and put the new drod.exe into that folder (you may also need some SDL2 dlls, which are included).

By default, 5.2 will use your existing DROD player data directory. In theory, you can import 5.2 content, and as long as you don't interact with it in an earlier version, nothing bad will happen. However, due to updates to how control settings are saved, using the same data directory for 5.2 and a non-5.2 installation will mess up your control settings. They can be restored, but if you're not using the default control you'll have to rebind them.

To avoid issues with data compatability and controls, you can use DROD's built in support for multiple installations. In the directory you created for the DROD 5.2 alpha, create a file named DataPaths.txt. Place a line in this file that lists the path to your intended distinct data directory and the path to a directory containing drod5_0.dat:
<player data directory path>;<game data directory path>;

This tells DROD where to store saves, and to find the data it needs to run. For example, if you fill it in like this:
.\Data;.\Data;

your player data will be stored in the data directory of the DROD app directory. (Generally, the game data path should always be ".\Data" since that's how the game is installed.)

Bootleg Alpha caveats

Since I compiled this myself, the build doesn't have CNet integration.

Part of what makes this a "bootleg" alpha is that it contains some features not yet merged into the main 5.2 codebase. In theory, the following features may not be supported in an official build:

Click here to view the secret text

If you find bugs, it is still helpful to report them.
If you are an RPG fan and see something you'd like in RPG, you can make an RPG FR.

Help

The updated help html file for scripting is included in the zip file.

Closing words

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
Several good features in 5.2 were created by skell, including the improved script editor and image management features.

07-23-2022 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JamesBond007
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 43
IP: Logged

File: DROD52Error.png (11.1 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: DROD 5.2 Bootleg Alpha for Windows (0)  
This new alpha build doesn't seem to work on my PC. It gives me this error message.
09-01-2022 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD 5.2 Bootleg Alpha for Windows (Very early access alpha)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com