Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Request: Allow viewing / downloading of demos for uncompleted rooms
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
IP: Logged
icon Request: Allow viewing / downloading of demos for uncompleted rooms (+2)  
Because when you are really STUCK STUCK STUCK on a room, but you need this specific room to get any further, and just can't find the way through it... sometimes you need to watch a demo. Even if you also need to just copy it move for move, if you have the patience. Because that's the only way to carry on with this particular hold at this point, and it's either that or stop playing the game and go play something else out of frustration.

One should be able to download someone else's victory demo from the database, through the in-game demo-downloading interface, even for an uncompleted room. Instead of having to beg in the increasingly less-used help forum for someone to post one, and often not get a reply anyway.

Maybe the best few demos should be hidden from anyone who hasn't completed it, so you can't simply match the current record holder by copying them exactly, but can actually continue on with this particular game and this hold.
07-19-2022 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2386
icon Re: Request: Allow viewing / downloading of demos for uncompleted rooms (+2)  
This is an interesting request. I think the DROD community would have been opposed to this change ten years ago or so, but today might be different. Let the debate commence.

Click here to view the secret text

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 07-19-2022 05:22 AM]
07-19-2022 at 05:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Request: Allow viewing / downloading of demos for uncompleted rooms (+1)  
I'm pretty much always in favor of offering players options to help whenever possible.
07-19-2022 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Request: Allow viewing / downloading of demos for uncompleted rooms (+2)  
I have two separate things to say:

1) I don't disagree with this request at all; in fact I'm fairly sure I would wind up benefiting from it some of the time.

2) I don't think I've ever seen a request for help in the hints and solutions forum fail to receive replies, pretty much ever. This community is ridiculously good at giving people help with rooms whenever it's asked for. If that particular subforum is inactive, it seems to me to be just because there are fewer requests for help coming in, possibly as a result of the majority of the hard rooms that people actually want help with already having threads with sufficiently good help.

I would further suggest that, at least from my perspective, the only real advantage of not allowing downloading demos as it is right now is just to encourage people to join the forum and post a thread or reply in hints and solutions to ask for help. But is it all that strong of an encouragement? Do we really need it? Maybe not.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-19-2022 08:40 PM]
07-19-2022 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Request: Allow viewing / downloading of demos for uncompleted rooms
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com