Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Make a Good DROD Level Compilation (MaGDL compo thread)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
komachi
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158
IP: Logged

File: MaGDLV 10 minutes rooms.demo (10.6 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Make a Good DROD Level Compilation (+1)  
Sorry if I'm late. Tomorrow will finish the two rooms I left in my entry.
Anyways, here's the demos from all the rooms except 3N1W and 3N1E. Also will upload a new version with checkpoints to 1E which I already did, but it seems I forgot to upload it and modify 3N1W to enforce the intended solution (arrows in the plates to avoid decoys).
10-17-2021 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
komachi

File: MAGH komachi.hold (11 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
and the updated entry (no changes except the mentioned above) and some checkpoints in A good portrait.
10-17-2021 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531

File: Make a Good Drod Level Compilation.demo (54.3 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
Update:
-Copied in changes to 10 minutes rooms

I've also attached the latest demo compilation to this post. This includes all of the demos posted since my last post, plus demos for all of the hub puzzles (except 1n1e, which is literally "do nothing"). As far as I know this demo set is 100% complete.

I'll say "last call for real this time", I guess.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

10-18-2021 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Since there have been no further requests for changes since my last post, I have now submitted the compilation the HA's! If you're reading this very soon after I posted it and you have some very last-second thing to be done, please hurry up and let me know so as not to inconvenience the HA's too much.

...Oh, and my previous post only mentioned the changes to 10 minutes rooms, but the version of the hold being submitted to the HA's does also have the added checkpoints in A good portrait too.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 10-24-2021 07:54 PM]
10-24-2021 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Something I just now thought about:

Right now, the hold is set to "anyone edit". I'm in favor of leaving it that way, so that various custom elements (particularly the ones in my entry) can be accessed easily, by anyone, without needing to complete the entire hold. Any objections to this?

10-27-2021 at 07:47 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
It's fine with me. But then, every hold I've ever published has been Anyone Edit, and there's not a lot to hide in my entry.
10-27-2021 at 07:54 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
OK with me.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
10-27-2021 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
komachi
I have no objections from my side.
10-28-2021 at 08:37 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

Pumpkins: The brains stay dead if you leave the room and reenter. Pumpkins respawn, but not brains.

So you can clear the pumpkins to kill the brain, then leave and come back and just kill the monsters.

This affects the guard and rattlesnake rooms. (1N3E, 1N4E)
10-31-2021 at 08:07 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Spiders' Domain: 2N1W

can step off the diagonal force arrow next to orb to kill the spider.
10-31-2021 at 12:30 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Looks like the issue is that the brains have "Imperative End when killed". Since they aren't on pressure plates or anything, it might work best to instead have them start invisible and appear if the room isn't conquered when you enter.
10-31-2021 at 07:30 PM
Xindaris

File: Make a Good Drod Level Compilation.hold (319.1 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Okay, I think I've foreallysolved the issue with SD 2N1W this time:

UPDATE:
-Added orthosquare at (15, 7) of Spider's Domain 2N1W. This did not break my demo solving the room.

Also, I can't delete the "first post attachment" of the hold, presumably because it's in HA; I made the update in the HA interface but I'm not sure if that changes the file in the first post? Just in case, I've also attached the latest version to this post.

As for the pumpkins: disoriented, should I try and hack together some standard "I am a monster and only exist if the room is uncleared" script to them myself, wait and let you do it, or just leave them as they are?

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-01-2021 12:00 AM]
10-31-2021 at 11:58 PM
Xindaris

File: Make a Good Drod Level Compilation.hold (319.2 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
While I've had no reply from disoriented, I went ahead and drafted a version with a script change that should fix the exploit with the pumpkin brains. I basically just replaced the two lines "required target" and "end when killed" with a simple if-statement that only makes the brain a required target if the room isn't already clear; if it is already clear, then it disappears and jumps to a new label "STOP" at the bottom of the script so that it does nothing afterward.

I've attached a version with this change to this post (but have NOT updated the "main version" being looked at by the HA's yet, since I haven't heard from the architect of the entry about this yet). My own testing suggests that this works as intended in all cases, and removes the exploit. Anyone who wants to test that, go ahead. Hopefully disoriented will be able to reply on this soon?

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-06-2021 05:35 PM]
11-06-2021 at 05:35 PM
disoriented
Hey, sorry I've been swamped. That sounds like a good solution, Xindaris. Thanks for putting it together.

11-06-2021 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
I know the feeling. Okay, I've added the change to the version being looked at by the HA's now, too. I did enough testing (and the change was simple enough) to be reasonably sure nothing broke, but someone please tell me if I managed to break something anyway.

11-06-2021 at 08:47 PM
disoriented

File: disoriented hub room.hold (260.7 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
icon Re: Make a Good DROD Level Compilation (0)  
Hi Xindaris,

I'd like to replace the hub room for my entry with this one.

The candy swappers are just too bugged when there are other puzzle elements around (like in the previous hub room) and it was possible to move other objects around them to get them in a state where the candy wouldn't appear. So I'd just like to remove them as you can see in the attached file. You'll have to rewire the stairs, etc.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience!

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-13-2021 01:06 AM]
12-13-2021 at 01:04 AM
Xindaris
I can make that change if you really insist, but as the person who actually built the room/the contest compiler, that's not a very satisfying replacement to me at all. I'm perfectly okay with a little jank in the hub puzzle; it isn't very difficult to do it right; and as-is, it represents both parts of the entry, while the proposed change has nothing to represent the candy exchange half at all.

Edit: As a counter-proposal, if the pumpkins/mirror interfering with candy movement really bothers you, maybe I could just separate the candy exchange part off with a tunnel so those pieces can't go there?

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-13-2021 03:59 PM]
12-13-2021 at 03:46 PM
Xindaris

File: demo.hold (46.5 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Check 1W in this (you'll need to use the editor to start in the right place); it shouldn't have any of the previous difficulties with candy movement. It's a little less symmetrical, but I can accept that.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-13-2021 10:24 PM]
12-13-2021 at 05:20 PM
disoriented
I don't think you uploaded the right thing.

12-13-2021 at 09:53 PM
Xindaris
Try it now? I'm not exactly sure what could've gone wrong, but I double-checked this one.

12-13-2021 at 10:24 PM
disoriented
OK yeah I think that's a fair compromise, thanks. If you want to enforce a slightly clever solution you can move the orb down 8 spaces to (11,12) and put a door space where it used to be... but that's up to you.

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-13-2021 10:36 PM]
12-13-2021 at 10:34 PM
Xindaris
Alright, I've updated the hold the HA's are looking at with the new 1W. I can't quite tell the difference in moving the orb (since the player must be west of the door when hitting it no matter what), so I left its location alone.

12-14-2021 at 05:14 AM
disoriented
Xindaris wrote: since the player must be west of the door when hitting it no matter what

Actually, that’s not true with the orb in its current location.
(The player can be east of the door, hit the orb, and use the caber to push the roach south)

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-14-2021 05:53 AM]
12-14-2021 at 05:52 AM
Xindaris
You can do that, but then you're stuck behind the door because the button the roach steps on doesn't open it. I guess it did in the old version, though.

12-14-2021 at 04:36 PM
disoriented
Cool, thanks for being flexible on this.

12-14-2021 at 06:35 PM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Make a Good DROD Level Compilation (MaGDL compo thread)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com