Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : King Dugan's Dungeon Lite (aka Flash DROD redux)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged

File: KDDL.png (82.6 KB)
Downloaded 1329 times.
License: Public Domain
icon King Dugan's Dungeon Lite (+18)  

Wait what?

I can't really remember what prompted me to do this, but a few weeks ago I decided it would be a fun side project to port Flash DROD to JS (TypeScript, technically). To make the long story short, it is done. You can actually play KDDL1 by pressing the link below, but it's probably worth reading the rest of this post for more details.

Why an alpha?

Originally I asked hyperme, Disoriented, kieranmillar and Schik to privately test the game. But I am now noticing that my will to work on this is waning and I don't want it to die somewhere in the depths of my file system. Therefore I am going to use YOU, yes, YOU the reader of this post, to do the testing for me... I mean I give you the opportunity to play it right now and report any bugs you encounter.

It's probably best for now to not share this project with people outside the community, since it still lacks some polish.

Differences from Flash DROD?

While in general the engine is a direct port of the codebase, there are some important changes:

- CNet support has been dropped completely. No way to login to your CNet account, submit demos or achievements. It's unlikely to be readded at a later date.
- JS handles input a bit differently from Flash, so it's possible things will be wonky on different keyboard layouts or language settings.
- Was only tested in Chrome and Firefox on Windows.
- I did not do a full playthrough yet, but played a bit with debug options and the ending stairs should work correctly (unless something broke last minute)

Known issues?

(Green ones are ones that I've already done but are not yet released)

Ingame:
- Check all remaining shortcuts to make sure they don't trigger browser behavior
- Clicking an orb also shows the tooltip (but how to solve this best? right click, most likely)

Softlocks/crashes:
- None

Low priority:
- There are many scrolls that still reference CaravelNet
- "Get help for current room" button does not work
- Does not work on Mac Safari, because Apple hates OGG format apparently or they think it's beneath them. Works on Mac Chrome/Firefox

Planned improvements:
- Some things fade out in a way that I don't like
- Click on doors to see orbs that affect them

Play Beta 7 here!

Old versions, beta 5:

Play KDDL1 Alpha here!
Play KDDL2 Alpha here!
Play KDDL3 Alpha here!
Play KDDL4 Alpha here!
Play KDDL5 Alpha here!

So, uh, playable on mobile?

Sure, if you have an external keyboard!

[Last edited by skell at 03-14-2022 11:35 AM]
08-12-2021 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon Lite (+3)  
Alpha 2 release notes:

- Saves should no longer be lost (was caused by demos being incorrectly saved, demo saving was removed altogether since it's not required anymore)
- All cases of text or windows being positioned or sized weirdly should now be fixed
- Sliders are fixed
- Shift+Action (move/wait/rotate) should now work

The game is updated under the same link. Should load new version on simple refresh, but you may need to hit Ctrl+F5 if your browser is caching very aggressively.

08-12-2021 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379

File: ach.png (1.4 MB)
Downloaded 1187 times.
I got the Postmastery achievement. Then I went back to the title screen (by reloading the page) and the options to Restore or Continue Playing were grayed out. It would only let me start a New Game.

Achievements seemed to be saved, however.
Using Firefox 91.0 if that's somehow relevant.

Click here to view the secret text

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 08-13-2021 12:44 AM]
08-13-2021 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Issue with lock room edge message

DROD history dialogue not showing

and of course, the "Get Help for Current Room" links to an invalid CaravelNet page.

08-13-2021 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon Lite (0)  
So, what's the word on releasing episode six?

08-13-2021 at 02:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon Lite (+2)  
I refuse to allow backspace to not be "navigate back", so it's like I'm playing in AE all over again!

Looks good so far (level 1)!
08-13-2021 at 06:44 AM
DanielFishman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
(Presumed) bug report: a number of achievements still have "???" as their description despite me having achieved them. (So far: "Walkin' To the Moon", "Tuning Fork", "Sliced Queens"). I have very little idea what I did to achieve them!
08-13-2021 at 10:15 AM
skell
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon Lite (+4)  
Alpha 3 Release Notes

* BUGFIX: Lock icon appears, as well as mimic graphics when placing a mimic
* BUGFIX: Lock message now appears correctly
* BUGFIX: DROD History will no longer appear empty (it would be empty if you previously opened any window with HTML text, eg. controls or credits)
* BUGFIX: Achievements that had hidden description will unhide the description now, previously it would only be unhidden when refreshing the page
* BUG: Title Screen buttons hit are no longer overlaps the button below
* BUGFIX: Fixed a bug where progress was lost once you cleared the hold
* FEATURE: Crossfades added: Game -> Title Screen, Title Screen -> Restore, Restore -> TItle Screen, Restore -> Game, Outro -> Title Screen, Initialize -> Title Screen

> I got the Postmastery achievement. Then I went back to the title screen (by reloading the page) and the options to Restore or Continue Playing were grayed out. It would only let me start a New Game.
This was partially fixed in Alpha 2 (progress was always lost if you cleared any room with a monster) and completely fixed in Alpha 3 (progress was lost if you completed the hold).

> Issue with lock room edge message
> DROD history dialogue not showing

Fixed in Alpha 3

> (Presumed) bug report: a number of achievements still have "???" as their description despite me having achieved them. (So far: "Walkin' To the Moon", "Tuning Fork", "Sliced Queens"). I have very little idea what I did to achieve them!
I wonder if this bug was there even in Flash DROD, huh. Fixed in Alpha 3 - the ??? would be replaced if you refreshed the page.

> and of course, the "Get Help for Current Room" links to an invalid CaravelNet page.
Oh yea, that. I'll have to figure out how to deal with those.

> I refuse to allow backspace to not be "navigate back", so it's like I'm playing in AE all over again!
You can remap the controls :).

08-13-2021 at 11:50 AM
skell
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon Lite (+1)  
averagemoe wrote:
So, what's the word on releasing episode six?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves there :).

08-13-2021 at 12:01 PM
skell
Alpha 4 Release Notes

* BUGFIX: roaches now wait a turn after hatching from an egg
* BUGFIX: spiders are now rendered in the correct Y position
* BUGFIX: character commands and other details are now loaded correctly
* BUGFIX: fixed certain room styles not loading
* BUGFIX: fixed sworded characters not stabbing at their turn
* BUGFIX: sometimes all the monsters and Beethro would slide one pixel further during their move animation for half a second
* BUGFIX: undoing would cause secret found/hold mastered/level completed messages to get stuck on the screen

And also KDDL 2, 3 and 4 are released. Links in the first post.

So what next?

Next I want to take a break from this. I'll leave it be for a few days/weeks, go back to other projects I was working on. The long term plan is to also release KDDL 5, since it is mostly done, and see about the feasibility of releasing KDDL 6.

Until then I'll leave the games here, for anyone to play and give me feedback. If you find any bugs, encounter any problems or think of ways to improve it, don't hesitate to ask. Bear in mind while it is technically a JS DROD, this project will not be expanded upon. Once (if) KDDL6 is released it will be the end of the development. The port was done primarily to make the game playable again.

08-13-2021 at 10:19 PM
disoriented
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon Lite (+5)  
Notes from testing KDDL2 (postmastered)

- There is a scroll referencing CaravelNet in the tutorial area 3E.

- When invisible, the Beethro sprite shows as invisible only when more than 5 tiles away from a monster. There's also no 11x11 display box

- Pressing F3 seems to trigger the move counter to display, but pressing it again leaves the yellow numeric text on the screen. It just stops counting upwards with each move. Also, F3 conflicts with Firefox's "find on page" command, so it would be nice to be able to remap this key.

- Spawn cycle display is persistent after tar mothers killed

- In Eighth Level, 7S3E, the tar mothers stopped growing the tar every 30 turns. I don't know what triggered this, and I didn't notice this in other rooms, but I was playing though them pretty quickly. (I also may have stopped trying to test achievements as much as in KDDL1)

- Related to the last issue, here's a case where only some of the tar grew. Maybe undo broke something?

And of course, in the nice-to-have-but-probably-won't-get category:
- Click on minimap to show entire map?
- Click on a door to see what orbs affect it?

[Last edited by disoriented at 08-14-2021 02:15 AM]
08-14-2021 at 01:15 AM
Kalin
Rank Points: 175
Yay!

Was the translation hard? Tedious? Do you have any advice for others trying to convert Flash games to JS?
08-14-2021 at 04:10 AM
skell
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon Lite (+4)  
Kalin wrote:
Yay!

Was the translation hard? Tedious? Do you have any advice for others trying to convert Flash games to JS?

It was fairly straightforward. For background, DROD was written purely in AS3, I did not use any frameworks, though it used the same rendering principles as Flixel (so instead of using Display Tree, all the rendering was done in bitmaps).
I converted it to TypeScript, using Pixi.js for rendering (which is Display Tree based and by default is GPU-accelerated).

So the first trouble was to figure out how to utilize Pixi. I had essentially two options.
A) Rewrite all the rendering code to use Display Tree (I investigated pixi-tilemap for faster rendering of a huge tilemap).
B) Figure out how to do bitmap rendering with Pixi.

To explain what bitmap rendering and display tree are:
Display Tree rendering is that every bit of graphic you have is a special object (Sprite, Container) that can be assembled into a tree structure. Then there is some built-in code (in case of AS3) or a library (in case of Pixi) that takes that tree and renders it (in CPU in AS3 and in GPU in Pixi). If you want to draw another something, you need to add a new sprite somewhere in the tree. If you want to no longer draw something, you either need to remove it or mark it visible=false. When used smart it can be great, as you can cache leaves that don't change often. It also does all the matrix translations for you (ie, calculating the position, scale, rotation of a sprite inside a container that itself is transformed, inside a container that itself is transformed, etc).
By Bitmap Rendering I mean a case where you have a bitmap data in memory, and draw into it, and then you somehow display that bitmap onto screen. Flash DROD usually worked with 3 bitmaps at a time: under layer (HUD, all the static tiles, which only changed when something in the room changed), active layer (all the active elements and bunch of effects, it had some complicated rules for full and partial redrawing. It would redraw completely during the movement animation, and then it would only redraw the specific monster tile that animated) and effects layer (for things like mimic placement or invisibility range).

Phew, that's a lot of words. After some investigation I figured out it's trivially simple to do Bitmap Rendering in Pixi. All you need to do is create a new Canvas, draw in it and then do new PIXI.Texture(new PIXI.BaseTexture(canvas)), and when you later need to reupload new data to the texture you just call texture.baseTexture.update() and it's synchronously updated.

After deciding on the details, it was then time to convert the code. Thank goodness AS3 was based on ECMA Script, so the syntax is almost the same as TS (since AS3 also has type annotations). There are a couple of important differences though, that were annoying:

- In AS3 you don't need to use this.<member> to access member fields/methods of a class, in TS you have to. Fixing those probably took the most time of all.
- Same case with calling static members.
- In AS3 every variable that holds a reference is also by default nullable (and there is no way around it), while in TS I prefer to work with strict null checks, so nullability has to be explicitly stated.
- In AS3 there are static constructors, in TS there are not. Initially I fixed this by adding a new initialize() method and calling it right below the class export, but when working on KDDL2-4 it turned out to be a problem because I was experiencing some race condition in this and similar code, so all the initialization calls were moved to a single class that deals with bootstrapping. You can see the code here if you're curious.
- Checking if a value is an instance of a class uses is in AS3 but instanceof in TS (maybe instanceof was also available in AS3 but is was shorter so I used that)
- In TS you cast by using as keyword, in AS3 you (I?) cast by using ClassName(<variable>)
- AS3 has internal access modifier, as well as custom ones, TS has neither
- AS3 uses var before member name that is a field, TS does not

Yea, I think those were the main sticking points.

So let me now explain how I got around transcompiling all the code manually:

(note, when I say Grep I really mean "Use IntelliJ's Search and Replace in Files using both Match Case and Words options")

1. Grep the whole codebase for retrocamel_int (a custom namespace I used) and internal and replaced them with public
2. Grep for public var, public static var, private var and private static var and replace it with versions without var
3. Grep for Number and replace it with number. Ditto for String and Boolean, as TS uses different casing.
4. Grep for uint and int and replace them with number, as TS does not have those types
5. THen I'd chose a file that has no references to other files, change its extension to 'ts' and just work on it.
6. Remove all imports and the package (since in AS3 every class is wrapped in a package)
7. Add export before class
8. I'd go through every field, search in the file and prefix it with this. to save me some manual labor.
9. And then just kept mashing F2 which is "Go to next error in current file" until there were none.
10. If I encountered something I couldn't fix at the moment I'd comment it out and mark with @todo to come back to it later

At the begnning I mostly dealt with non-gfx code so it was mostly tedious code hacking. Then when I would encounter rendering code it would all be commented out. Then at some point I had to deal with the rendering, did it mostly without issues.

Once I had all the game logic and rendering code done, I did the minimal amount of work required to test it - this involved doing the preloader screen, initialization screen and title screen.

Then some more work, adding audio, some more work, and the first alpha version was released.

That's the whole story!

08-14-2021 at 08:17 AM
skell
disoriented wrote:
Notes from testing KDDL2 (postmastered)
That's some quality reports, thank you!
- There is a scroll referencing CaravelNet in the tutorial area 3E.
This repeats in other versions too, I'll have to figure out how to deal with it considering all the translations.
- When invisible, the Beethro sprite shows as invisible only when more than 5 tiles away from a monster. There's also no 11x11 display box
I believe the changing sprite is intended, so there is visual feedback if anything is smelling Beethro. The display box should be there tho.
- Pressing F3 seems to trigger the move counter to display, but pressing it again leaves the yellow numeric text on the screen. It just stops counting upwards with each move. Also, F3 conflicts with Firefox's "find on page" command, so it would be nice to be able to remap this key.
Yea, those are a problem. There are a few other F shortcuts which worked great in Flash but not so in JS. I admit I don't quite want to bother making them remappable, so I'll probably just change the shortcuts to Ctrl+Number, assuming the default behavior of the browser can be prevented.
- In Eighth Level, 7S3E, the tar mothers stopped growing the tar every 30 turns. I don't know what triggered this, and I didn't notice this in other rooms, but I was playing though them pretty quickly. (I also may have stopped trying to test achievements as much as in KDDL1)
That's really weird and makes me wonder if you found some weird edge case that was also present in the original flash version.

- Related to the last issue, here's a case where only some of the tar grew. Maybe undo broke something?
Will keep undo in mind!
And of course, in the nice-to-have-but-probably-won't-get category:
- Click on minimap to show entire map?
- Click on a door to see what orbs affect it?

Minimap click won't be coming because it's a lot of work, but I'll think about clicking on a door :).

08-14-2021 at 09:51 AM
Kalin

File: tarbug.jpg (49.7 KB)
Downloaded 964 times.
Just finished Ep 1 with all achievements, except for "Down with the Green". I tried restoring to an easy room to get some more green doors, but still can't get that achievement. All other achievements are showing their descriptions.

Some help files will need to be updated eventually:
Help and Backstory (title screen)
DROD History

Everything else looks pretty good. I can't wait to start linking this to people again!

EDIT:

Ep 2 done, again I've gotten every achievement except "Green to the Ground", so something still isn't counting correctly there.

Bugs:
Shift+Num5 is only waiting one turn. It may have worked correctly in ep 1 when there was just roach queens, but it consistently fails with tar mothers or queens+serpents.

I got that failed spawn bug once (maybe twice). Attached a screenshot showing the single tile of tar that spawned. I don't know if I used undo before this happened. I do know it was the first spawn for this room.

The spawn counter also stays visible after killing the last queen or serpent.

Clicking an orb not only highlights affected doors, it also shows the tooltip for that tile. And sometimes that tooltip covers the door affected. Honestly not sure what you can do here.

[Last edited by skell at 08-18-2021 07:38 AM : Added the secret with the image]
08-15-2021 at 07:05 PM
disoriented
[Post Deleted] disoriented wrote:
Looks like queens are spawning on squares they they just vacated:
https://imgur.com/a/eoWk8gS

I think this makes the achievement in this room impossible to get.

08-17-2021 at 09:55 PM
Kalin
That egg came from a different queen. Also, that's not how you get that achievement (though it is pretty clever).
08-17-2021 at 11:51 PM
disoriented
True, I forgot

08-18-2021 at 03:03 AM
skell
Thanks for all the bug reports, keep them coming, I'll try to get them fixed soonish :)

I've updated the first post to list all the known issues

[Last edited by skell at 08-18-2021 01:24 PM]
08-18-2021 at 01:18 PM
disoriented
Edit: KDDL4 Sixteenth Level 1N1E

There is another tarstuff issue when entering this room. If entering with sword Northeast on turn 0, turning the sword (either clockwise or counterclockwise) still cuts the tar at the entrance a turn later.

[Last edited by disoriented at 08-20-2021 01:25 AM]
08-19-2021 at 02:23 AM
Kalin

File: doors.jpg (34 KB)
Downloaded 32 times.
Door highlighting is weird sometimes. This is a secret room on ninth level, but it shows up other times when doors are large.

EDIT
Now done with Ep 3 with all achievements, even the one for green doors. I don't remember exactly when it happened, but it was before conquering the hold. Counting rooms with green doors, it should have happened halfway through Lv 11, which may be true. (Level 9 does not have any green doors!!)

[Last edited by Kalin at 08-21-2021 02:22 AM]
08-20-2021 at 01:18 AM
Svante
Rank Points: 169
I can get the "Tuning Fork" achievement in KDDL1, Second Level 2S1E, without fulfilling the requirements by:

08-21-2021 at 11:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Svante wrote:
I can get the "Tuning Fork" achievement in KDDL1, Second Level 2S1E, without fulfilling the requirements by:
I appreciate the effort to seek this, but considering it's an unimportant joke achievement, I'll just leave it as-is :).

08-21-2021 at 03:44 PM
Kalin
disoriented wrote:
Edit: KDDL4 Sixteenth Level 1N1E

There is another tarstuff issue when entering this room. If entering with sword Northeast on turn 0, turning the sword (either clockwise or counterclockwise) still cuts the tar at the entrance a turn later.

I wasn't able to reproduce this bug. I did get the other bug where some tar grew and some didn't in this room. It happened after some undos and restores (and while invisible).

New keyboard bug:
If you accidentally hit '/' on the numpad, the display changes size slightly and the game stops accepting input. Clicking on the game will cause it to accept the next keystroke, but nothing after. Fixing requires changing to another browser tab and back.
(Firefox 91.0.1, Windows 10)
08-22-2021 at 04:10 AM
disoriented
Kalin wrote:
New keyboard bug:
If you accidentally hit '/' on the numpad, the display changes size slightly and the game stops accepting input. Clicking on the game will cause it to accept the next keystroke, but nothing after. Fixing requires changing to another browser tab and back.

That is similar to what I noticed when hitting F3, which is apparently the “find on page” command in Firefox.

08-22-2021 at 04:28 AM
skell
Kalin wrote:
New keyboard bug:

It's all the same type of bug - browser shortcuts taking over the focus. The next version has a code that will prevent the default browser behavior, but that won't work for all keyboard shortcuts - but from what I checked it should override most of them.

08-22-2021 at 10:25 AM
skell
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon Lite (+6)  
Beta 5 Release Notes:

- BUGFIX: Shift+Numpad 5 should work correctly always
- BUGFIX: Tar growth randomly stopping has now been fixed (was caused by encountering a tile that would produce unstable tar, but where a tar baby cannot be created, and then stopping the remaining growth - a bug I accidentally introduced when porting)
- BUGFIX: Invisibility range is now drawn
- BUGFIX: If you kill a monster when invisible, and that causes you to no longer be in any monster's range, the player sprite will immediately turn to invisible Beethro (previously it would happen on the next turn)
- BUGFIX: Most built-in browser keyboard shortcuts will no longer trigger (Except the ones that cannot be prevented)
- BUGFIX: Achievement for clearing certain number of rooms will now work
- BUGFIX: Move counter now disappears when you toggle it off
- BUGFIX: Threat clock disappears when it is no longer needed
- BUGFIX: Undoing could incorrectly initialize and update achievements making them ungettable, should be fixed now
- BUGFIX: Character speech will now once again have the sound
- BUGFIX: Pressing continue after completing the hold (but before restarting the game) will no longer soft lock the game, but rather take you to the room with the last stairs
- BUGFIX: Fixed a bug where tar would be cut without a sword on top of it if you: entered a room with sword on the tar, turned, restarted/undoed, turned
- BUGFIX: Fixed a bug where orb-door highlight would highlight things weirdly in certain cases

Also:
- KDDL5 is now also available
- Changed "Alpha" to "Beta" since it makes more sense!

08-22-2021 at 10:45 AM
Kalin

File: tarpaste.jpg (10 KB)
Downloaded 707 times.
I was just about to ask if there was a reason you could put up ep 2-4 all at once but not 5. Maybe now I'll finally be able to finish 5.

Are the new version of the previous ones uploaded yet? I'm still seeing Alpha.4 and V1.4.0-JS on ep 4, even after a forced refresh.

Anyway, got all achievements on ep 4 except green door.

EDIT:
Ep 5 "Tar Paste" achievement: that's not a tar baby.

[Last edited by Kalin at 08-23-2021 01:59 AM]
08-23-2021 at 01:34 AM
Illusionist
Rank Points: 165
2 general thoughts
1) if this project ends up with success, a good idea would be to finally make a mobile version of DROD and put it on some platform with apps.

2) I would love if someday there was a hold released that would contain all of the extra levels from the lite version. I know that not every room can be recreated 1:1, but still, would love to see it. Especially that Level 13 is the superior version (obviously), if not one of the greatest levels in DROD history.

I might test it later, though. All in all this project is a big surprise for me.

[Last edited by Illusionist at 08-23-2021 08:54 AM]
08-23-2021 at 08:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Kalin wrote:
I was just about to ask if there was a reason you could put up ep 2-4 all at once but not 5. Maybe now I'll finally be able to finish 5.

Are the new version of the previous ones uploaded yet? I'm still seeing Alpha.4 and V1.4.0-JS on ep 4, even after a forced refresh.
Interesting, somehow it did not upload, maybe I misclicked? It's uploaded now!

Ep 5 "Tar Paste" achievement: that's not a tar baby.
I've uploaded a fixed version.

08-23-2021 at 09:33 AM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : King Dugan's Dungeon Lite (aka Flash DROD redux)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com