Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The 17th Annual People's Choice Awards - Results! (Here are the winners!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2384
IP: Logged
icon The 17th Annual People's Choice Awards - Results! (+8)  
The Seventeenth Annual People's Choice Awards (a.k.a. The Deadlies)

Voting has ended and it's time to cheer the winners! :thumbsup

1. Best Custom Game Element

A Horse is a Horse, of course, of course... except when it's a Unicorn? Equine Enterprise showed off this "Knight" custom element and its fascinating puzzle possibilities, and players jumped at the opportunity to check it out. Will we see other chess pieces soon from DyingFlutchman?

3. Technical Design Excellence in Scripting

DROD on mobile? It's not often that a DROD hold can feel like a whole new game, but skell's scripting skill makes it so! You can even play as different characters to suit your cosmetic taste. Just don't bump the walls by mistake!

4. Technical Design Excellence in Layout and Aesthetics

Even after a tiebreaker the community just had to reward both these fine holds for their aesthetics! Congratulations to skell and ThemsAllTook.

5. Technical Design Excellence in Concept

Nobody thought it could be done, but skell's DROD Touch hold took the concept of a mobile-like DROD game, complete with world and level select, and brought it to life.

6. Creative Design Excellence in Storyline

Rival Startup's plot invites the player to dive deep into the mysteries of this curious place, with crazy happenings all along the way!

7. Creative Design Excellence in Difficulty

Like his previous hold Outings with a Delver, ThemsAllTook's Rival Startup nails the "difficult hold" category, with a satisfying feeling of accomplishment after puzzling out and solving each room!

8. Creative Design Excellence in Entertainment

Holds don't have to be hard to be fun! DROD Touch entertains with a mix of resource management and monster manipulation puzzles that are sure to scratch any delver's puzzle itch.

9. DROD Hold of the Year

It's no surprise that a top-tier concept and a first-rate entertainment experience convinced the voters to select DROD Touch as the 2020 Hold of the Year. Thanks for keeping us DRODding during lockdown, skell!

10. DROD RPG Level Set of the Year

Congratulations Kieran Millar! Nuntar did a Let's Play of this short and fun RPG hold here.

12. Novice Architect Award

Forum veterans always enjoy seeing new architects show off their unique ideas. This year we received a really nice effort: "Random Dungeon" by StoneHead. This fun hold has some tricks that will fool even the best players. We hope to see more architecture from you, StoneHead!

13. Erik Hermansen Award for Lifetime Architectural Achievement

This prestigious award is given to architects who consistently entertain with fun holds over several years. Skell's holds are creative scripting masterpieces that explore unique ideas in novel ways, and DROD Touch is very much in that mold. Congratulations skell and enjoy your lifetime CaravelNet membership!

14. Best Community Contributor

Not only did skell win this year's Erik Hermansen Award for architecture and DROD Hold of the Year, but also the community voted him in for Best Contributor! All his countless hours troubleshooting, identifying bugs, and uploading patches for future DROD updates paid off! Does this mean we have to stop making fun of him now?

15. Best DROD Video Presentation

Entry Point is by far the largest architecture effort ever done for DROD, and there's no question that it needs a ton of testing and playthroughs. Dragon Fogel has put in scores of hours on his streams playing the hold, entertaining viewers, and helping with architecture, too. All to make it an even better hold when it's finished!

A hearty congratulations to all the winners and nominees. Well, that's all for now....until next year!

-------
History of the People's Choice Awards (Needs updating)
The First Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Tiebreaker
The Second Annual People’s Choice Awards | Voting
The Third Annual People’s Choice Awards | Voting | Final Round | Tiebreaker
The Fourth Annual People’s Choice Awards | Voting | Tiebreaker | Winners
The Fifth Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Tiebreaker | Winners
The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Tiebreaker | Winners
The Seventh Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Winners
The Eighth Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Winners
The Ninth Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Winners
The Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Winners
The Eleventh Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Winners
The Twelfth Annual People's Choice Awards Voting | Winners
The Thirteenth Annual People's Choice Awards Voting | Tiebreaker | Winners
The Fourteenth Annual People's Choice Awards Voting | Tiebreaker | Winners
The Fifteenth Annual People's Choice Awards Voting | Tiebreaker | Winners
The Sixteenth Annual People's Choice Awards Voting | Tiebreaker | Winners

[Last edited by disoriented at 07-11-2021 09:21 PM]
07-01-2021 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ThemsAllTook
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 207
icon Re: The 17th Annual People's Choice Awards - Results! (+3)  
Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to disoriented for organizing!

I'd count Rival Startup as the first real story with characters that I wrote from start to finish. It was an interesting learning experience, and I'm glad to see that it came across pretty well!

Clearly, skell and I will have to both release a new hold in the same year again to settle the score in category 4...
07-01-2021 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: The 17th Annual People's Choice Awards - Results! (+2)  
Congratulations to all of the winners!

Also a big thanks to disoriented for running this year's awards. People who have never organised this before probably don't realise how much work goes on behind the scenes, so thanks for putting in all the effort this year.
07-01-2021 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: The 17th Annual People's Choice Awards - Results! (+1)  
If you told me at the beginning of last year that I'd win the video award in next year's Deadlies, I'd have been very surprised.

But I'm very pleased with how my EP streams have been going, and with how they've helped the project along. So I'm honored to accept this and I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me, as well as everyone involved in EP work, since they gave me one heck of a project to stream.

Congratulations to everyone, and thanks disoriented!
07-01-2021 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
In the very rare case of self-confidence I have to say I think DROD Touch deserved all the awards it got. Thank you to everyone who voted for your support :).

Congratulations to all the winners! And thank you disoriented for hosting it.

Also, I guess it's too late to say, but I can't shake the feeling that my contributions to 5.1.1 and 5.2 should not have been counted for the community contributor award, since the new versions were ultimately never released. TOO LATE I WON.

Clearly, skell and I will have to both release a new hold in the same year again to settle the score in category 4...

I am planning a hold release this year, you? ;)

07-01-2021 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
mrimer and/or Schik may wish to award mod points as appropriate. And skell should get lifetime CNet.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
07-08-2021 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
[Post Deleted] disoriented wrote:
Someone mentioned that they were unable to see the images in the first post above. You may need to login to CaravelNet to see it properly.
It's not about logging in to CaravelNet, you need to have access to the private board those are attached to. It would be problematic if you could download attachments from private boards just by knowing the ids. I'd suggest replacing the top post with the new imgur one!

07-11-2021 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Schik wrote:
I'd suggest replacing the top post with the new imgur one!

Fixed!

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
07-11-2021 at 09:22 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: The 17th Annual People's Choice Awards - Results! (0)  
Congratulations to all this year's winners!

Skell, welcome to the rarefied air of those with a lifetime achievement award, and what a sweep! I love how you put DROD Touch together.

Thank you, disoriented, for hosting these Deadlies!

skell wrote:
I can't shake the feeling that my contributions to 5.1.1 and 5.2 should not have been counted for the community contributor award, since the new versions were ultimately never released. TOO LATE I WON.
Yes, you did win, and it's well deserved. Remember, true declarations of "ultimately" and "never" require seeing into the future. My sincere apologies for not getting to an official release of these yet, but I'm confident we will see them get that rubber stamp someday soon.

I am planning a hold release this year, you? ;)
In that case, it sounds like everyone will win! :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-12-2021 03:30 AM]
07-12-2021 at 03:28 AM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: The 17th Annual People's Choice Awards - Results! (+2)  
in my honest opinion both Skell and Mr. Diener were simply the best. It also shows how one hold can be a game-changer. DROD Touch is simply something you should try, if you hadn't already.
Click here to view the secret text

skell wrote:
Congratulations to all the winners! And thank you disoriented for hosting it.

You mean, congratulations to you:P All 100% deserved, though.
You helped me personally a LOT as well in the past year, for which I am deeply thankful and eternally grateful, and this is also what counts as "community contribution" because you did everything to make me feel at home here. I did some very stupid things, I had some issues with logging in, and you always were there to lend your helping hand. Many kudos for that

But humor aside, what made your hold great is that many old & new players started playing DROD again. And frankly, I do think that we should finally seriously consider a DROD app for android.

I have to check StoneHead, though. The description sounds interesting

[Last edited by Illusionist at 07-18-2021 03:36 PM]
07-18-2021 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The 17th Annual People's Choice Awards - Results! (Here are the winners!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com