Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Hold Tools (Explore the guts of a hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon DROD Hold Tools (+7)  
DROD Hold Tools

It's a web app designed to help you with management of content in your holds. Just upload a .hold file into the application and explore the numerous options!

Current features:
- Edit texts in commands in the hold (includes: speech, flashing text, room title)
- Remove speech from commands (only available for commands which shouldn't have speech but due to a bug in DROD still have it attached)
- Edit entrance texts
- Edit scroll texts
- Edit level names
- Edit level author
- Edit level creation date
- Edit player name
- Edit character names
- Edit hold name
- Edit hold description
- Edit hold ending
- Export and import all texts to CSV
- Search & Replace text across the whole hold
- Option to use "Tom's New Roman" font for displaying the texts (the DROD's font)
- Save the changes and export a new version of the hold

Roadmap in order of priority
- Within Search & Replace select which changes to save and which to not
- Allow editing challenges
- Replace images & audio
- Add/remove audio in speech
- Allow renaming a variable (which would update all textual references to it)

Access it here!

----

So this is a small side project I've been working on for two days. I'll be needing something like this for my next hold, for reasons.

[Last edited by skell at 06-22-2021 10:33 PM]
05-29-2021 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: DROD Hold Tools (0)  
Can it edit the text on scrolls or the names of challenges? This is sounding like the tool for making foreign dubs of the game.

I wonder if DROD could be big in Japan?

05-29-2021 at 06:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3406
Cool!

Is it really, though?

Yeah, it's cool.

05-29-2021 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Wait wait wait, I thought that you were taking a break Messieu Skell? ;) Not that I'm complaining, quite the opposite

averagemoe wrote:
Can it edit the text on scrolls or the names of challenges? This is sounding like the tool for making foreign dubs of the game.

I wonder if DROD could be big in Japan?

WE WILL NEVER KNOW UNTIL WE TRY.

05-30-2021 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: DROD Hold Tools (+2)  
Tool Updated! Just open the same URL to see the changes:
- Everything looks better
- It displays some neat stats
- Texts can be edited
- Hold can be exported
- You can unload the hold and load another one without refreshing the page

@averagemoe - I don't really know how translations for holds are made, so I won't be pursuing that.

@Illusionist - Nah, I just stepped down from main DROD development, this is just a fun project on the side.

06-02-2021 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
And another version uploaded:
- You can now edit level names
- And scrolls
- And entrances
- And can delete speech from commands which should not have speech attached

Also decided on the final list of features I want to implement - it's in the first post under Roadmap.

06-10-2021 at 09:31 PM
skell
icon Re: DROD Hold Tools (+3)  
Yet another update! This time the following new cool things are available:

- Edit level author
- Edit level creation date
- Edit player name
- Edit character names
- Edit hold name
- Edit hold description
- Edit hold ending
- Export and import all texts to CSV
- Search & Replace text across the whole hold
- Option to use "Tom's New Roman" font for displaying the texts (the DROD's font)
- ALl text inputs now enforce max length that's consistent with the max length in-game

Enjoy!

06-22-2021 at 10:33 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: DROD Hold Tools (+1)  
Hi,
I tried to use this on several holds, including some of my published holds and some random .hold files from the holds board (such as metDROiD, Narrow Perspectives, and Museum of Ooze), and every single one returned the error "Not enough arguments to Document.evaluate." If those all work for you, then I assume it's some issue with the browser I'm using and I can try something else.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

07-01-2021 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: DROD Hold Tools (+3)  
Metdroid will certainly not work, because the tool only supports holds from the latest version. I regularly use DROD Touch and TSS demo hold for testing. I know Nuntar had some issues with Entry Point.

One thing I must add is checking DROD version of the hold and report it immediately before any processing happens.

But yea, it's possible something is very broken :). I'll check Narrow Perspectives, since that one I think should work. Can you tell me what browser on what OS are you using?

07-01-2021 at 09:31 PM
Xindaris
I have windows 10 and waterfox.

I tested several of my own in-progress holds first, since that's what a lot of my .hold files are, but when you say "the latest version"...well, I've been using the 5.11.344 beta for a while.

07-01-2021 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
On a whim, I tried digging through the github files and found "test.hold", which I presume to be a hold you've been using to test the tool with. That hold also does not work for me, with the same error. I also tried installing the Pale Moon browser to test there, and I'm still getting the exact same error. My remaining guesses are that something is genuinely wrong, the tool only works for a couple of specific browsers, or the tool hates me and/or my OS personally.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-22-2021 09:59 PM]
07-22-2021 at 09:57 PM
skell
Xindaris wrote: My remaining guesses are that something is genuinely wrong, the tool only works for a couple of specific browsers, or the tool hates me and/or my OS personally.

I test on Chrome and the issue appears to be that it has a non-standard API for XPath, where it requires fewer parameters than the standard and other browsers. It'll be fixed in the next update, which will happen as soon as I am done with my current distraction.

Also that's some really niche browsers you're using there :).

07-23-2021 at 07:57 AM
OdiePie
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
All I would like to say is that this is a really cool tool! This'll be very convenient for fixing typos and editing stuff when I don't have DROD open. :)

My Magistream Keep (click the eggs here first!)

(\__/)
{='.'=} This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(“)_(”) signature to help Bunny gain world domination.
10-19-2022 at 01:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
Bug report: Renaming a player does not work. (On downloading the hold, levels assigned to that player still have the old name.) This can be gotten around by creating a new player and assigning levels to it, so it's not especially serious, but something that would be nice to have fixed.

By the way, I've tried making some small changes to the EP hold and not had any problems (other than the above bug), so it's not a problem with the hold file itself or with editing large holds.

10-19-2022 at 05:44 PM
skell
Oh gosh, I completely forgot about this project. I should get back to it one day D:.

11-22-2022 at 08:21 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
The link is currently dead.

07-21-2023 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Hold Tools (Explore the guts of a hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com