Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : what the hey (Various mini-holds with gimmicks)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.3/10 (3 votes)
σ 0.94
Author Name:Xindaris
Submitted By:Xindaris
Hold Name:what the hey
Theme:Various mini-holds with gimmicks
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:70
Number of Monsters:837
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: what the hey.hold (71.5 KB)
Downloaded 232 times.
License: Other
icon what the hey  
Over time, even when there are no contests happening, I tend to sometimes end up building a bunch of one-level holds, or "pseudo contest entries", each with their own overall concept or gimmick. Eventually I took a look at 5 such holds I had and thought "what the hey, let's publish these". So I did.

This contains two levels with gimmick scripting, two levels with new custom elements, one level with a non-scripting-based gimmick/theme, one "finale room" level after you beat those five, and a hub to travel between them all.

Finally, I've left this hold "anyone edit" so that you can grab and use the gimmicks or custom elements right away if you want. You have my permission; just please give credit and have fun!
03-09-2021 at 04:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: what the hey (0)  
The challenge scroll in Token Trouble 1E includes an unscripted bonus challenge to do both challenges in the same run, which the architect never managed to do.

I can confirm this is possible.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 03-09-2021 05:16 PM]
03-09-2021 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
Yes, to be perfectly honest I also knew it was possible (someone in the architecture thread said they'd done it) but was too lazy to script it myself at that point. Well, you can still upload a demo of it somewhere if you want to brag about it.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-09-2021 07:05 PM]
03-09-2021 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: what the hey (+1)  
Finished the hold. I'm usually too lazy to rate, but this didn't have any ratings yet so I tossed my quick opinions.

Rated this 5 brains. Most rooms didn't give me much trouble. The ones that did were usually annoying rather than difficult, and there was always some approach that wasn't too painful to execute even in those rooms - it's just that there were a handful where I ended up doing something annoying for a while before I saw the not-so-painful way. The Magic Wand level is maybe a little bit harder than the others.

I give it a fun rating of 8 - the gimmicks are silly and most of the rooms do interesting things with them. This would be higher if not for the few annoying rooms. It was still plenty enjoyable, I just ran into a few rooms that I didn't want to deal with when I first came to them.

The main reason I was posting here, though, was to note trivial rooms that the architect might want to consider marking unscorable.

03-10-2021 at 07:38 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
Thank you; seems like I always forget about marking rooms not-scoreable. I think I'll leave JPT 1N alone, though.

Here are some links to Things!

03-10-2021 at 09:36 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : what the hey (Various mini-holds with gimmicks) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com