Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Will there be new official hold?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Erenpal
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon Will there be new official hold? (+2)  
look title :P
01-04-2021 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Will there be new official hold? (+1)  
There is a Smitemaster's Selection in the works (Chaco).

No official new standalone DROD game is currently planned, as far as I know.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 01-04-2021 07:26 PM]
01-04-2021 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
I know Entry Point isn't official. But... It's like "deputy sheriff" official maybe. I mean it's got a progress bar and everything!

-Erik

01-05-2021 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Will there be new official hold? (+5)  
I've gone back and forth on whether I want a progress bar for Treacle Stew... I guess overall it'd probably be a good idea, and I have a rough checklist/rubric of Smitemasters' Selection conversion progress, it's just that it'd be yet another task to keep on top of.

According to the checklist, Treacle Stew is about 79 or 80 percent done. I'm leaving a lot of percents open for things like "insert voices into the hold", "commission cover art for the SmS", "get playtesters to run through the hold one last time to check for any major issues", and "publish through Caravel Games and through Steam".

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-06-2021 12:09 AM]
01-06-2021 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Will there be new official hold? (+2)  
Treacle Stew needs the bar!

01-06-2021 at 10:01 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Will there be new official hold? (+3)  
I think Dischorran has bar withdrawal.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
01-06-2021 at 05:45 PM
Chaco
Alright Schik, popular demand (by which I mean, one person) wants the bar! Make it happen! :)

01-07-2021 at 02:25 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Chaco wrote:
Alright Schik, popular demand (by which I mean, one person) wants the bar! Make it happen! :)
Mike set up the bar as it currently is. I don't feel like I should mount my own insurrection right now and override it, but if you talk to him and he agrees, I'm happy to change it.

01-07-2021 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
I think Chaco is requesting two bars rather than an override, since he said something in chat the other day about remembering some point where there were two bars at once.

I can say that, as someone deeply involved in EP development, I would not be offended by being disbarred, though. We'll keep working on it either way.
01-07-2021 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
icon Re: Will there be new official hold? (0)  

01-08-2021 at 03:50 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Schik wrote:
Chaco wrote:
Mike set up the bar as it currently is. I don't feel like I should mount my own insurrection right now and override it, but if you talk to him and he agrees, I'm happy to change it.
Ha! Bar insurrection. That's tragically comic.

Feel free to override the bar info at will with new active projects at any time in the future.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-08-2021 06:40 PM]
01-08-2021 at 06:40 PM
Dischorran
80%? Cool.

01-12-2021 at 12:04 AM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Frankly, I feel that Entry Point will be finished sooner, on the virtue of being 93-something % done (a statement which subtly implies that maybe it should be the one with having the progress bar). And maybe it would be better if Treacle Stew was more of a surprise release rather than people waiting and eventually posting "is it done yet?" "how about now?" "and now?"

[Last edited by Illusionist at 01-22-2021 11:47 PM]
01-22-2021 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Will there be new official hold? (+2)  
Entry Point is a much bigger hold. Our bar may have crossed 90%, but the last portion is still about a moderately large hold's worth of work.

Not to mention, we don't have all our puzzles done; Treacle Stew has been puzzle-complete for quite some time. The bulk of the remaining work on it is making it into a full SMS, in particular adding voice acting. (Which we aren't doing because it would add a huge amount of work on top of what we already have to do.)

We'll be working hard and trying to keep up a steady pace, but I fully expect Treacle Stew to finish first. And I'm looking forward to its official release.
01-23-2021 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
I think a helpful way to think about it too is that in addition to the voice acting being too much work/tedious to implement, it might also not be helpful to implement regardless of the amount of work required because it may distract the player's concentration, especially when they reset a room with speech on or near the entrance move, which I am sure many beginners will do from getting stuck often.

01-23-2021 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
azb wrote:
I think a helpful way to think about it too is that in addition to the voice acting being too much work/tedious to implement, it might also not be helpful to implement regardless of the amount of work required because it may distract the player's concentration, especially when they reset a room with speech on or near the entrance move, which I am sure many beginners will do from getting stuck often.

Generally it's possible to fix this by making speech occur on the 5th or 10th turn or so, and adding a checkpoint near the puzzle area that the player will hit *after* the speech happens, so it's always possible for them to return to an earlier checkpoint (or the start of the room) that doesn't re-trigger any speech.

01-23-2021 at 07:17 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Will there be new official hold?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com