Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Sound Sources (Where did they come from?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
IP: Logged
icon Sound Sources (+1)  
Hi everybody,

I heard "splash.ogg" from TCB onward used in a PowerPoint presentation at my college, and I heard the old "ShortHarps.ogg" sound effect from JtRH-GatEB used in some Flash games on other sites, so I was wondering, did the developers record the sounds themselves, or use samples from external websites like sound libraries, or both?

12-20-2020 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
icon Re: Sound Sources (+2)  
Okay, I found an AE era post from ErikH2000 saying that he recorded the sounds for DROD in that era by dropping an aluminum can for the smiting sounds, and applying pressure near a furnace for the button sounds (the metallic rumbling sound they made). He said that he recorded half the sounds in the game then, but I am not sure the process of how he got the rest like "potion.wav" or "SomethingBelow.wav" (trapdoor sound).

I guess I could speculate that for "LowShatter.wav", he used an actual sound of something being destroyed (like a sledgehammer breaking a specific material), for "HugeDoor.wav" he used the sound of something metallic like an elevator shaft jerking to a sudden halt, for "orbhit.wav" and "orbhitquiet.wav" he hit something that resonated loudly like a bell, for "SomethingBelow.wav" he used a drum, for "QuickScrape.wav" he used metal sliding on wood, for "AlanComplete.ogg" he used a synthesizer to make both the main melody and the sparkly sound at the end, for reading a scroll he used paper crumpling, for "tinyblip1.wav" and "tinyblip2.wav" he used the sound of something tapping on rock or wood, for "potion.wav" he used an instrument that makes a vibrating sound like a guitar and vibrated his finger on it, for "mimic.wav" he used an electronic synth to generate the noise, for "bloomp.wav" he dropped chalk, for "TarSplat.wav" he used a splattering sound effect from elsewhere, for "PowerDown.wav" he used a rumbling sound from elsewhere, and for the rest he recorded his voice.

[Last edited by azb at 12-20-2020 05:39 PM : Speculation of 1.0 era sounds]
12-20-2020 at 05:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
They weren't all foley sounds. I think either Mike or I had some royalty-free sound effect collections. The potion is definitely a synthetic sound, so I'm guessing it came from a collection.

My favorite is the monster death sound. I dropped aluminum curtain rods so that the ground hit their end. They kind of bounce back from the ground like a spring when you do that. So the reverb is actually a naturally occurring effect.

Foley is fun, and it's easy for an amateur to get good results.

-Erik

12-20-2020 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
icon Re: Sound Sources (+1)  
Foley design is fun for sure. Thank you for the information!

12-20-2020 at 05:41 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Sound Sources (+3)  
Also, if you are interested, here are some other sounds I've made.

https://freesound.org/people/ErikH2000/

-Erik

12-20-2020 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
This is awesome! Thank you very much for the link. I was interested in learning about it because I am teaching sound design myself right now (the general recording process, so it will work for any type of game).

12-20-2020 at 05:50 PM
ajayypatail
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 9
icon Re: Sound Sources (-1)  
Great Post
12-30-2020 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Sound Sources (Where did they come from?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com